How Often Do You Workout?

Options
I've heard very mixed views from people. Some tell me to not work out two days in a row because my muscles won't recover so I should work out every other day. Others tell me it's okay as long as I'm not doing strenuous workouts every single day of the week. Also, some day every day is okay as long as you switch off cardio and strength on a daily basis but strength training isn't a big part of my workout. Okay. honestly it's not any part of my workout since the weights seems to be dominated by the male population of the gym and they intimidate the hell out me since I don't know how to use any of the equipment.

Basically, what seems to work best for you?

Replies

• clvdandj
    Options
    Currently i am doing the biggest loser cardio max dvd 6 days a week.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Every day is ok as long as you're not working the same muscles 2 days in a row. In my opinion, 1 day off a week is good to let your body catch up with recovery.

You should change your attitude about strength training. Read this thread and watch the video for some inspiration: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328354-women-strength-training-for-real
  • sweets2001
    Options
    I try to get some type of workout in 5-6 days a week!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have one quieter day each week.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I work out six to seven days a week, doing strength and cardio some days, just cardio some other days. Strength is important, so if you can't go in the weight room, try sit ups, push ups, resistance bands, and using hand weights outside of the weight room. The skipping days is mostly for strength training. You do not want to do arms two days in a row. Your muscles need time to recover. I avoid waiting by doing my upper half one day, and my lower half the next and alternating.
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week. Some days its longer cardiovascular, some is sculpting, some its yoga stretching, even on my off day I walk the dogs around the neighborhood. Buuuuut.... I'm seriously trying to lose weight here and doing a program that's set to be 6 days a week and I follow the schedule.
  • xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    I jog for 40 mins 4-5 times a week..and if my body hurts ill skip around on the days i do it in the week & do 60 crunches & 60 sit ups every day .
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you do need one day or two days off from a work out. what i would do is work out mon-fri. when you can and then have the weekend off and just go out and have fun. drink tons of water! water will help your muscles to heal and help you stay full! watch what you eat and you should get to your goal fast! and if you work out at home try getting jillian micheal's 30 day shred! if you don't have it. that is a great dvd. she has a few but try that fist. :)
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I did P90X for two rounds and the main deal is strength/cardio/strength/yoga/strength/cardio/rest-stretch....its a magic formula for shedding pounds and inches...
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i go to the gym 5 x a weeK (every weekday). i generally do different things every day, so it might look like this

Mon - Personal Training (or if i can't afford it, weights and cardio)
    Tues - Boxing class
    Wed - Spin Class (cardio)
    Thur - Cardio and yoga, or step class (cardio)
    Fri - Cardio and weights or pump class
  • Louisemyers29
    Louisemyers29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X so it's 6 days per week for me. Each day is a tough workout but it focuses on differnet areas or different exercises styles.
    I would say listen to your body. If you can do more then do it, if you need a break then take one. Just be honest with yourself!
    I was a proper dunce when it came to what I should be doing in terms of exercise which is why I follow a workout programme.

As for the weights, they are great! Don't let the men intimidate you, get stuck in! Ask them for advice, I'm sure some would love the chance to help out.
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I aim for 6 days a week. I do 3 sessions of Body Pump (the weights section scares me too) On body pump days I also add an hours cardio, on the other 3 days I add at least 1 hour of cardio and sometimes pilates!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
  • maximumuscle35
    Options
    three days a week for a full workout legs, chest arms shoulders back
  • ennaejay
    Options
    bump

Have there been any studies on what's really best for your body? I work out 6-7 days a week for 30-60 minutes and rarely take a day off, although I know I need to, mentally and physically. I do get tired. I rotate cardio (running) with strength.

Is there proof that you shouldn't work the same muscles 2 days in a row? Why is that such a no-no? I do it - I'm sure other people do it - as long as your body can handle it right?

Hope other people chime in.... maybe some trainers or somebody schooled in this dept... enlighten us!
  • Autumn15
    Options
    I do 45 to 60 minutes on the treadmill 7 days a week and then throw in other random exercise usually on weekends like swimming or other cardio. I've just started adding some other strength type exercise and hope to work my way up in more serious strength training once I get closer to my goal weight because right now I want to focus on one thing at a time and get to the maintain level before I concentrate on building muscle and toning more.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Every day is ok as long as you're not working the same muscles 2 days in a row. In my opinion, 1 day off a week is good to let your body catch up with recovery.

You should change your attitude about strength training. Read this thread and watch the video for some inspiration: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328354-women-strength-training-for-real

What Taso said ^^^^^^^