Low carb vs. Low calorie.

Options
I'm interested in this topic.
I've done low carb for some time, but my weight loss just totally stalled (like 5 months stalled)

My BMI is now in the healthy range, though just barely at 24.4.

I'd like to lose a little more weight and get my BMI closer to 20.

So, with less than 20 pounds to lose, looking to lower my body fat, which seems better?

I did miss eating things on low carb, I stayed so low for so long that I didn't eat fruit for over a year!! I miss fruit!

I feel better on low carb, not bloated, less irritable, more energy, and I didn't have that "brain fog" that I get when I gorge on carbs.

Looking for advice, personal stories, not to start a "my diet is better than yours" thread.

Thanks for your support.

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation, even carbs.

I eat everything, even things unhealthy for me. I just limit how often and how much. And when you DO eat carbs, eat the healthy whole grain ones and other complex carbs. Either that, or burn them with a HARD workout right afterward.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation, even carbs.

I eat everything, even things unhealthy for me. I just limit how often and how much. And when you DO eat carbs, eat the healthy whole grain ones and other complex carbs. Either that, or burn them with a HARD workout right afterward.

This.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    For me its a combination of eating less carbs, and sticking with carbs grown above soil. I try to avoid potatoes, carrots etc, and instead I eat salad like ruccola, cherrytomatoes, orangejuice, but I make sure I stay on a caloriedeficit.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Personally low carb works for me though I still eat fruit (I maintain 120-150 carbs a day) like the comment before me said try to stick to the "good Carbs" ie fruit, whole grains (I love brown rice!). I would say just do what works for your body. Start eating 150 carbs a day and if thats to much than lower your number for a week and see if you get a lose. Good Luck with your last 20lbs, your in the home stretch :-)
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb low calories diet. My carbs consist between 50-125 a day. My calories between 1200-1400. I have never had success with one or the other just both combined.
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I truly love how supportive people are here!

I have only been on MFP for about a week, so it has been a learning curve.

At first I couldn't eat enough calories, then my sodium was off the charts, THEN my sugars, it seems like so much to keep up with!
    I would love to see a day when there weren't all these red numbers glaring at me at the end of the day.
    Counting JUST carbs seems so much easier. :-/

I don't know why I thought that the last 20 would be easier. Everyone says that this is when it gets hard.
  • NIK25
    NIK25 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm interested to see what others say about this too! My goal is just under 20lbs as well. I'm 5'9 and about 170lbs on a good day. lol.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic.
    I've done low carb for some time, but my weight loss just totally stalled (like 5 months stalled)

My BMI is now in the healthy range, though just barely at 24.4.

I'd like to lose a little more weight and get my BMI closer to 20.

So, with less than 20 pounds to lose, looking to lower my body fat, which seems better?

I did miss eating things on low carb, I stayed so low for so long that I didn't eat fruit for over a year!! I miss fruit!

I feel better on low carb, not bloated, less irritable, more energy, and I didn't have that "brain fog" that I get when I gorge on carbs.

Looking for advice, personal stories, not to start a "my diet is better than yours" thread.

Thanks for your support.

Just make sure you control your carbs and make sure those carbs come from vegetables and fruits.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to just count carbs too. For me, calories are secondary, because due to the nature of my eating habits (low carb) the calories never get too high anyway.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have done low carbing for more years than I want to admit- and finally- threw in the towel. Like you, I am less bloated, irritable, etc on low carb- but I just don't think it is a maintainable lifestyle. I recently switched back to a very balanced, calorie based lifestyle and it is working- Just remember if you eat carbs, ake them good ones- whole wheat, fruits, etc- stay away from empty carb calorie stuff like italian bread in olive oil, chips, etc- you know- just basic common sense stuff.

If this is new to you just reach out for help. Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to carbs... I just try to stay under on calories and over on protein. I love pasta, bagels, breads and pizza. :smile:

The closer you are to your goal, the less per week you should be trying to lose. For me, it wasn't any harder, just slower. And since I was expecting it to be slow, it didn't bother me.