have you had shoulder surgery?? Tell me about it please =]]

Options
I have a partially torn rotator cuff. I injured it in Dec of '09, and it still hurts like crazy. I did 6 weeks of physical therapy, and then I did cortisone injections 3 times (this is part of my weight gain).

When I first hurt my shoulder, I could not lift a cup of coffee without being in horrible pain. I can now lift my coffee cup with out tears, but anything over 5 lbs is a struggle.

I decided today I want to have surgery next summer. I can sit out summer semester and take time to heal. However, I am scared surgery may not fix it. I have heard it is a crap shoot it may fix the problem or make it worse. Has anyone out there in MFP land had this kind of surgery? Or any kind of bone/joint corrective surgery? Will you please share your story?

Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I guess no one can help me =[[

I will ask again another day.....
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery almost 3 years ago to remove a bone spur and repair a frayed rotator cuff. I had horrible bicep pain any time I moved my arm wrong. It was torture to get dressed or put on a jacket. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who recommended physical therapy, which didn't help. I also had a cortisone shot, which didn't help either. After 6-8 weeks of therapy, my PT sent me back to the surgeon, and we decided to go ahead with surgery.

The recovery from the surgery was not fun, but it's the best thing I ever did. It took several months and more physical therapy before my arm and shoulder felt like they were getting back to normal. I'm not sure I'll ever be 100%, but I've got 98% of my range of motion back. The surgeon told me I have a little arthritis in that shoulder, so I still get occasional pain, but nothing like I had before. I've noticed I have a harder time rolling over in bed on that side, but that's minor compared to the problems I had before the surgery.

That's my experience. You'll have to decide with your doctor what's best in your case. Good luck!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

I have a horrible time getting dressed, a coat or my backback is horrible to try to put on. Sometimes I can sleep on it and other times I can not.

Thanks you for your story.
  • TigressStripes
    TigressStripes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My mother had rotator cuff surgery - likewise, she went through the whole physical therapy/cortisone shot ball of wax initially, then finally proceeded with the surgery. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago, and she has no issues with her shoulder whatsoever now. Her recovery time wasn't too long as I recall, but ymmv.

I'd say as long as you're confident in your surgeon (and certainly ask around and get a second or third opinion there!), go for it. Should make you feel much better in the long run!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    My husbands was probably different than yours. He had a class 5 AC separation from a car accident. They went into his should and cut some bone, and actually stretched the ligaments to put his shoulder back together. The first surgery helped, he still had some pain, but he could function. Then 2 years ago he had a bankart lesion tear on the same shoulder, so they had to put the ligaments back in place and this time they pinned them (last time they "glued" them) . His 2nd surgery was a mistake. He is in constant pain from the scar tissue now. Not trying to be a debbie downer, just make sure whoever does it the first time, does it right.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've had a torn labrum repaired and, in the process, the doc shrunk my shoulder capsule as well to tighten up the joint. My wife also had a torn labrum and bicep reattachement. She then got another surgery for another labrum tear about 5 yrs later.

Physical therapy recovery for me took awhile, but only because of the shrunken shoulder capsule. It took awhile to stretch out. I learned to sleep w/ my arm by my side, but it honestly wasn't so bad. On the other hand, I had a VERY good doctor (the famous Dr. James Andrews) and daily therapy support at the University of Alabama. I was swimmer in college and they had a great therapy/training program.

My wife had a bad doctor (or maybe not as good?) her first time around. That one took a long while to recover from, but she also had to let the reattach. The most recent surgery she had, she had a really good doctor at USC (SoCal) Medical Center (Dr. George Hatch). She had a hard time in recovery, obviously, but came out better.

So the moral of my short story is to find a very good doctor. It truly does make a difference. I think Dr. James Andrews only does big time athletes or University (in alabama) athletes currently, but his staff or those who have trained under him are top notch. Dr. Hatch in CA also does pro athletes, but will see anyone. Find someone that specifically has a specailization in shoulders, or your specific surgery. Don't do too many cortizone shots because it will eventually tear up your shoulder and create scar tissue.

Sorry for the book, but its something thats been a consistent thing in our lives and I know how frustrating it can be. With you being in TX, I'd recommend finding those who work with the pro athletes or university athletes. Hope that helps!!