fast food substitute...

Options
My husband and I love fast food- big downfall. The problem is, every time I try and cook something healthy, he'll eat it but hate it. I need some truly tasty, fabulous recipes to help satisfy and please the whole family.

Thanks, MFP friends!

Chelsey

Replies

• TawandaTheAmazon
    Options
    My husband and I love fast food- big downfall. The problem is, every time I try and cook something healthy, he'll eat it but hate it. I need some truly tasty, fabulous recipes to help satisfy and please the whole family.

Thanks, MFP friends!

Chelsey
  • Rachel6901
    Rachel6901 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been very pleased with my Biggest Loser cook books that I got for Christmas. I have made great chicken quesadillas, sausage and mushroom pizza, chicken picante and turkey goulash. They are all great and lower calories. They have the nutritional facts for each recipe. You might look into those.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken

4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs (or breasts, as preference dictates)
    1Tbsp Smart Balance Light Butter Spread
    Ms. Dash Garlic & Herb
    Salt
    Pepper

Put chicken thighs in a pan, put a small amount of butter spread on each, pinch of salt & pepper and coat the top with Ms. Dash Garlic & Herb. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees. Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Serve with yellow rice and a veggie!

Homemade hamburgers!

2 97% lean beef patties
    2 whole wheat buns lightly toasted
    1 slice low fat cheese
    1Tbsp BBQ sauce
    Favorite veggie toppings!

Grill beef patties (we have a George Formen - highly recommend!) pat patties dry to remove excess grease when finished. Toast buns and create! Serve with veggie or salad!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have been very pleased with my Biggest Loser cook books that I got for Christmas. I have made great chicken quesadillas, sausage and mushroom pizza, chicken picante and turkey goulash. They are all great and lower calories. They have the nutritional facts for each recipe. You might look into those.

I just looked up some of the biggest loser recipes online. Holy crap, YUM :love: :love:

Thanks for the tip. :wink:
  • JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    a lot of the recipes for resturant faves are available online. tonight i made pf chang garlic noodles. but we ate taht and a salad. instead of going and getting lettuce wraps, rice, honey chicken, and garlic noodles. so we still had a taste of the good with our healthy.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    The magazine cooking light has a website full of great recipes. I believe it's just cookinglight.com.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out http://hungry-girl.com/

She has a recipe book, I just tried my first one (Fiber One Chicken breasts... They are DELICIOUS)

Ingredients:

6 oz. Tyson (or another brand**) Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (raw); cut lengthwise into 5 strips

1/2 cup Fiber One cereal

1/4 cup Egg Beaters, Original

1/4 tsp. Lawry's Garlic Salt

pepper (to taste)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Add Garlic Salt and pepper to crumbs. Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another. Next, coat raw chicken strips with Egg Beaters and then with crumb mixture. Place strips on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Spray a light mist of nonstick spray on top of strips and place in oven. Cook for 10 minutes, and then turn strips over. Add another light mist of nonstick spray and cook for an additional 8 - 10 minutes (until chicken is fully cooked and Fiber One looks crispy). Enjoy! Serves 1.

Serving Size: 5 pieces (entire recipe)

Calories: 240

Fat: 3.25g

Sodium: 805mg

Carbs: 26g

Fiber: 14g

Sugars: 0.5g

Protein: 42.5g
  • amycakes812
    Options
    When I need a fast food fix I make turkey burgers and baked fries.
    For the fries, slice a couple of russet potatoes into finger length pieces, rinse in water and pat dry. Toss in a bowl with 1/2-1 tbsp olive oil, a bit of kosher or sea salt, some cracked black pepper and if you like some chopped fresh herbs. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 40 minutes, turning about halfway through. when they are done, fries should be browned evenly.
    Turkey Burgers
    combine 1 pound lean ground turkey with 1/2 onion, minced, 1 clove garlic, minced, about 1-2 tsp worcestershire, salt and pepper. Shape into 4 patties and grill ( I use my griddle, a GF grill would be great though!) Serve burgers on toasted whole wheat bun with your fav toppings.
    Hope this helps with your fast food craving!
  • Shopaholic82
    Options
    Turkey Loaf :
    1 lbs ground turkey
    2 slice wheat bread
    fat free milk
    reduced fat cheddar cheese
    onions
    Low sodium salt and pepper
    * Smashed them all with your fingers... :)
    On top of meat loaf pan, add 1-2 spoons BBQ sauce.. baked it.. :)

Side:
    Baked Fries/baked potatoes
    Salad with olive and vinegar
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I just throw a ton of garlic in everything I make, and it tastes fabulous!!! :)