Fasting?

Options
Okay, so I'm just wondering if anyone out there fasts once in a while, like one day a week/month, and if it effects them negatively or positively. Would it be okay to fast if you ate way over your calorie limit the day before?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    everyday for 16 hrs (including time i'm asleep), i do it for convenience sake, but do feel pretty great doing so
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm just wondering if anyone out there fasts once in a while, like one day a week/month, and if it effects them negatively or positively. Would it be okay to fast if you ate way over your calorie limit the day before?

I do intermittent fasting 5 days a week, 2x 24hr fasts, and 3x 18/6(hrs fasted/full). Weekends I have no strict guidelines, but I usually miss breakfast, and sometimes lunch on those days too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    Yes I fast one, sometimes two days a week from supper to supper. During that time I only drink non-caloric liquids like water or unsweetened tea (usually green tea). Intermittent fasting is something a number of people do here. You do not need to eat extra to do so as it takes at least 72 hours before your metabolism is effected by a fast. It is important to do strength training if you use intermittent fasting as it will serve to preserve your muscle mass. Check out leangains.com for one way to do this, or if you want to spend some money there is the Eat Stop Eat e-book by Brad Pilon which is probably the best book on intermittent fasting that I have see which looks at a lot of the research out there on it. You can also go to this message thread here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226488-intermittent-fasting-support-group