Pregnant - What did you do?

What do you do when you are in the middle of being very successful losing weight on My Fitness Pal and then find out you're pregnant? Can I hear from moms who got pregnant in the middle of working the program?

Replies

• Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    I'm not in that situation exactly, but I'm hoping to get pregnant early next year and have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    I wasn't doing this while I was pregnant, but I was losing weight. What I did was talked to my Dr. about calorie intake, tried to stick to the healthy foods I was already eating, and still exercised almost daily. I did less intense workouts as I got bigger, and I did yoga almost until I delivered.

Good luck!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    3 years ago I lost 40lbs and was at 135lbs when I found out i was pregnant. I really never learned to maintain my weight so needless to say by the time my first trimester came around I had gain 10lbs, when in reality you really don't have to gain anything. By the time I gave birth I weighed 200lbs...I was miserable and totally disappointed in myself.

The first 2 years have been really hard to lose anything. I didn't breast feed, I worked full time in the evening and had him in the mornings...it was ROUGH. Now 2 1/2 years later, I'm finally getting time for myself and losing the weight.

So....I would suggest you talk to you doctor and make sure he or she is ok with you continuing to work out...because I didn;t and wish I would have!! I'd also suggest you talk to your doctor about expectation of how much you should gain...and remember, you are NOT eating for 2...you are eating for youself and a growing baby, but not 2 adults!! I think they say you are safe adding 300-500 cals to your daily routine in order to be healthy for you and the baby!

I really wish I would have done things different and kept working out and watching my diet a little closer! GOOD LUCK!!
  • be happy!! Your body is healthy enough to get pregnant! I would speak with your doctor, but following a normal work out schedule (not over doing it and no iron man comps!!!) is healthy for the baby too! it would keep your health risks down for gestational diabetes, hypertension, pack pain, swelling as well as helping with labor and delivery!! Eat normal too, a baby only requires you to eat an extra 300 cal in the 3rd trimester to grow properly!

Having a baby on board is a wonderful thing that doesn't require to stop all healthy habits you are forming! it's better for the baby and for the mommy if you keep it up!

I wouldn't try to lose weight while pregnant, but it's also ok to not gain a ton while pregnant too! hope this helps!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Well, what my doctor told me was that your body can take whatever you were doing before. This means that you shouldn't start new high intensity work out programs or anything like that, but continuing your working out (slightly modified, especially when the belly starts growing) isn't a big deal. Like you can still jog and do the stairs, but don't just all the sudden start doing it if you weren't before. I hope that helps!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    I ate about 1800 calories a day. I gained 17 lbs the first pregnancy, 15 the next. Had gestational diabetes with both. I lost weight the first 2 trimesters. After my c-sections I lost 20-30 lbs the first week after.

If you start heavier, you should gain less. But it's not a time to diet. Keep doing most exercise, but don't start anything new or very strenuous :smile:
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    I wasn't on MFP then, but had two very successful pregnancies as an active-duty Marine. I was within 5lbs of my prepregnancy weight by the time my 6wks maternity leave was up (and in healthy BMI range).

I continued to workout with my platoon (all guys) until the 4-5 month mark. Included calisthenics & a 3 mile run at a 28min pace 3x a week. Still worked 24hr shifts every 2-3 days, a good part standing on my feet.

Do everything you were doing before until it is no longer comfortable. Start increasing calories back to maintenance slowly. By the second trimester you should be 100-200 cals above maintenance and 300 above in your third trimester. If you start treating yourself or letting others treat you like an invalid or buy into that eat for two crap, you WILL blow up like a prize heifer.

A great resource for figuring exactly where you need to be weight-wise for your prepregnancy height, weight, and how many weeks along you are is: http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

I know breastfeeding exclusively played a HUGE part in the babyweight falling off for me in those two pregnancies in my 20s. During my last pregnancy nursing made me cling to 10lbs above my prepregnancy weight until I weaned, mostly because I couldn't take certain meds while lactating. The breastfeeding/losing weight thing differs between women and even between pregnancies. It's certainly worth giving a go... Burns 500-800 calories/day in the first 6 months if you don't supplement... just think, would you rather burn those calories sitting on your tush cuddling & bonding with your baby or running your *kitten* off for an hour or more?
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Well, I wasn't on MFP but I was doing Weight Watchers at the time we found out. Then I was afraid I wasn't eating enough because I wasn't tracking so I ate when I was hungry or just when I craved something. And due to being so tired the first trimester, I got very lazy with exercise which caused more weight gain which caused laziness throughout my pregnancy. All factors my fault and lead me to gain 100+lb. So here I am.

Just don't do what I did and you should be ok, haha.