Eating 1200 calories but burning them too

Options
Okay, I have battled with being able to eat 1200 calories a day, I very very rarely got to 1200 until recently! This month I have been working really hard, doing the 30DS everyday drinking as much water as I can. (Any more than 6 for me is great as I would only drink a few glasses a week prior!)

Anyway....I am now striving to eat 1200-1300 calories per day. But the issue I have is I exercise and burn a lot of calories a day, I find it so hard to eat 1300 calories I couldn't possibly eat more. Will my body go into starvation mode, or will it not because I am eating my 1200-1300 a day?

Replies

• sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    For every "yes eat your exercise calories" comment you see there will be also be a "no don't eat them back" comment. The choice is up to you. Everyone's body is different. Eating my calories back works for me. Peanut butter will get your calorie count up.
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Your own body will tell you - everyone's metabolic rate and energy levels differ.

If at any point you feel hungry (lack of complex carbohydrates) or tired (drop of sugar levels) or dizzy (lack of both protein and sugar) or anything like this, generally you are not eating enough to give your body the fuel it requires to sustain your activity.

However, if you go about your day withhout pangs of hunger and feel full and satiated the majority of the time, then it is natural to assume that your body is getting the requirements it needs.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I find it so hard to eat 1300 calories I couldn't possibly eat more.

You know that must have been able to in the past, otherwise you wouldn't be here now...

Just had a look at your diary and either you aren't filling it in correctly or you have plenty of room to add calories!!!
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    I put my weight on in pregnancy, then I could eat like a horse ;) But I was hungry all the time.

Everything I eat I put in my diary, I wont eat anything until it is in the diary too so I can make sure I don't go over my calories.

Today I am going to try three meals. See how I go with that.
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    Peanut Butter is an easy way to pack on the exra calories!!
  • Splasheh
    Splasheh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find it so hard to eat 1300 calories I couldn't possibly eat more.

You know that must have been able to in the past, otherwise you wouldn't be here now...

Just had a look at your diary and either you aren't filling it in correctly or you have plenty of room to add calories!!!

Pretty sure those calories were from fattening, greasy foods. Otherwise she wouldn't be dieting now.
  • millymoozie
    Options
    if your burning off what you are eating then you will not have any reserve for your body to work on therefore will rely on what you have stored ,which in turn means you will be losing fat ,muscle & energy ,for you to lose weight at a long term rate but still a good rate up your cals this will enable your body to have the energy it needs each day for you to use & build on those muscles which will then power you to lose more weight ,working with too little each day feels great to start with but then you will one day go into binge mode as your body will be starving so your brain will tell you eat eat eat ,this is a very addictive way of dieting as you lose a load ,but will eventually feel like crap ,then you binge a load & feel great ,long term life long change is to eat what your body requires & exercise to lose what weight you have gained & should not have ,,its so easy to up your cals in a healthy way -eat every few hours & this means small controled amounts ie - a fillet of pre cooked fish mackerel ,sardines ,trout can be brought cooked & kept in the fridge for snack -tin of tuna ,handfull of mixed nuts ,bowl of special k or no sugar cereal ,piece of fruit , a precooked chicken fillet ,have you thought about protein shakes ,a perfect way to up those cals alongside giving your body a burst of protein & nutrients ,its all about changing why you eat food & making it a means to fuel & give your body a boost & keeping up those energy levels ,give your body what it needs & it in turn will reward you with fanatastic results ,i dont use the word diet anymore ,its just eating what my body needs each day ,diets have brought me failure time after time ,they dont work ! it is not a diet it is a learning stage of what food is actually for & what to fuel your body with ,you can still have some treats occasionally ,life wouldnt be fun if we couldnt enjoy food & even bad food ,its just getting a healthy balance ,,good luck x
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You are probably at the point now where the big cardio burns are not doing much for your body anymore...and you are having trouble eating those cals back. Have you thought about reducing your exercise burns and doing more strength training with lower calorie burns? I know a lot of people have success with this when they reach a certain point and their weight loss has stalled, myself included.
  • millymoozie
    Options
    I put my weight on in pregnancy, then I could eat like a horse ;) But I was hungry all the time.

Everything I eat I put in my diary, I wont eat anything until it is in the diary too so I can make sure I don't go over my calories.

Today I am going to try three meals. See how I go with that.
    your body is on the go & working for you allday , try a different approach i assure you it works eat something small every 3 hours examples like i have allready given you ,you body will work better from constant small healthy things going in ,its topping up the tank on a regualr daily basis to keep you going for the day x
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're filling your diary out completely but it would really help if you ate breakfast...it'll kick start you for the day :happy:
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have battled with being able to eat 1200 calories a day, I very very rarely got to 1200 until recently! This month I have been working really hard, doing the 30DS everyday drinking as much water as I can. (Any more than 6 for me is great as I would only drink a few glasses a week prior!)

Anyway....I am now striving to eat 1200-1300 calories per day. But the issue I have is I exercise and burn a lot of calories a day, I find it so hard to eat 1300 calories I couldn't possibly eat more. Will my body go into starvation mode, or will it not because I am eating my 1200-1300 a day?

A large handful of mixed dried fruit & nuts, that's 200 calories right there.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    if your burning off what you are eating then you will not have any reserve for your body to work on therefore will rely on what you have stored ,which in turn means you will be losing fat ,muscle & energy ,for you to lose weight at a long term rate but still a good rate up your cals this will enable your body to have the energy it needs each day for you to use & build on those muscles which will then power you to lose more weight ,working with too little each day feels great to start with but then you will one day go into binge mode as your body will be starving so your brain will tell you eat eat eat ,this is a very addictive way of dieting as you lose a load ,but will eventually feel like crap ,then you binge a load & feel great ,long term life long change is to eat what your body requires & exercise to lose what weight you have gained & should not have ,,its so easy to up your cals in a healthy way -eat every few hours & this means small controled amounts ie - a fillet of pre cooked fish mackerel ,sardines ,trout can be brought cooked & kept in the fridge for snack -tin of tuna ,handfull of mixed nuts ,bowl of special k or no sugar cereal ,piece of fruit , a precooked chicken fillet ,have you thought about protein shakes ,a perfect way to up those cals alongside giving your body a burst of protein & nutrients ,its all about changing why you eat food & making it a means to fuel & give your body a boost & keeping up those energy levels ,give your body what it needs & it in turn will reward you with fanatastic results ,i dont use the word diet anymore ,its just eating what my body needs each day ,diets have brought me failure time after time ,they dont work ! it is not a diet it is a learning stage of what food is actually for & what to fuel your body with ,you can still have some treats occasionally ,life wouldnt be fun if we couldnt enjoy food & even bad food ,its just getting a healthy balance ,,good luck x

I agree with this...I do better with snacks through the day to keep me going...not just 3 squares...and to think of this as a diet is a failure for me as well! It's a lifelong thing, one I can live with! I never feel deprived...I do wish the weight was coming off as fast as it was in the beginning...the cardio burns are not working like before, so now I am focusing on the strength training which is awesome for burning cals in the long run.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Drink water eat green vegetables and eat lean protein.

One whole bread (750g) is 1400 calories
    1.2 kg of skinless chicken breasts is 1400 calories
    2 kg of potatoes (don't recommend because they are high in carbs) are 1400 calories
    6 kg of cabbage is 1400 calories.
    2.5 snickers candy are 1400 calories.

So honestly if You eat vegetables and lean protein you can eat big portions over the day and Your belly will be filled and You will have enough energy. I saw a documentary that if you blend your food with water in thick soup it will fill You up longer (didn't try it myself).
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Probably would be a good thing to eat 5-6 small meals a day. skipping meals isnt going to help you get to 1200 calories. Are you measuring and/or weighing your food? I see some things in your diary in grams and some in ounces while others are by the item. Get yourself a scale and start weighing everything. You may find that you are underestimating your calories. Ive been doing this for 7 months and found that I was mis listing my baked potato which I thought was medium was actually 2.5 times the weight of the medium!

Almonds are another way to get your calories in a hurry.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • millymoozie
    Options
    have just checked out your diary ,,youve done a great job but it is so time for a change before you burn out ,,your not eating anything until dinner ,your not hungry because your body has learnt to deal with this one burst of cals you give it ,it will store this as all bodies need fueling & your body will keep what it can as it knows it is only getting 1 meal per day ,start your day with a decent cereal ,do it within 30mins of waking ,watch out for the sugar packed ones & stay away ,weetabix ,all bran ,special k all perfect ,then every 3 hours put something in your system , you will find if you do this you will not not a big meal at dinner time as your body will learn it is getting help to work itself throughout the day ,,it sounds mad to eat more in a day when your trying to lose weight ,but it works ,i promise you x
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    have just checked out your diary ,,youve done a great job but it is so time for a change before you burn out ,,your not eating anything until dinner ,your not hungry because your body has learnt to deal with this one burst of cals you give it ,it will store this as all bodies need fueling & your body will keep what it can as it knows it is only getting 1 meal per day ,start your day with a decent cereal ,do it within 30mins of waking ,watch out for the sugar packed ones & stay away ,weetabix ,all bran ,special k all perfect ,then every 3 hours put something in your system , you will find if you do this you will not not a big meal at dinner time as your body will learn it is getting help to work itself throughout the day ,,it sounds mad to eat more in a day when your trying to lose weight ,but it works ,i promise you x

Really good advice! :-)