To those who love baking...

Options
How do you stop yourself from the ol' taste test? I love to bake nut I can't help but try what i've made and it's causing problems for my weight loss.
Any low cost, healthy recipes that friends would still enjoy and not know they're healthy?

Replies

• DownSheGoes
    Options
    There are some reeeally good vegan recipes out there, just google that plus add the key words low cal maybe? My friend makes them for us and you can't even tell they're vegan, better than anything!
    Also this way even if you do have a little taste test it will at least be relatively healthy.
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am chew really strong gum. That way I'm not tempted because it would taste horrible.
  • tina2222
    Options
    I am chew really strong gum. That way I'm not tempted because it would taste horrible.

i do the same thing! i also use it when i am cracing something - seems to be working :)
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets so sick of the smell of the baking that I don't WANT to eat them!?
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Since i've been trying to lose i've hardly baked at all. Some people will suggest any cake mix with a diet drink instead of eggs...but first that's hardly baking and secondly it taste yuk!

The times i have baked though i have halved the quantities. Last time i baked with the kids i only made 6 muffins, we all had 1 (4 of us) and we gave the last two to the kids grandparents. No left overs and the muffins were only 148 cals so 1 didn't kill me.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    That is such a great idea! Thanks!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i always have to taste-test as i don't want to give anyone anything subpar, but i limit myself to one cookie, for example, or even half of one. i don't get too hungry for things i bake myself luckily. maybe if you know you're baking, you could leave a little room in your calories for the taste test? :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I just use diet cola in place of all the eggs/milk/oil/whatever else the box tells you to add. This is true for all boxed and packaged dry mixes. The ratio is 3.8 oz. diet cola (by weight) per 7 oz. packet of muffin mix. Or 10 oz. diet cola (by weight) per 18 oz. box of cake mix. (The ratios are the same. I just listed them both because recipe math is boring.)

If you're baking from scratch, I wouldn't know what to say, other than allow yourself some extra calories by factoring them in before hand on days you know you will bake.

Good luck and happy baking!
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    I just use diet cola in place of all the eggs/milk/oil/whatever else the box tells you to add. This is true for all boxed and packaged dry mixes. The ratio is 3.8 oz. diet cola (by weight) per 7 oz. packet of muffin mix. Or 10 oz. diet cola (by weight) per 18 oz. box of cake mix. (The ratios are the same. I just listed them both because recipe math is boring.)

If you're baking from scratch, I wouldn't know what to say, other than allow yourself some extra calories by factoring them in before hand on days you know you will bake.

Good luck and happy baking!

I never ever knew this!
  • beginswithb
    Options
    By the time I am finished baking, I usually never want to taste anything. My husband is VERY honest so I always have him try it for me. :P
  • Leanne3552000
    Options
    I like to try my baking so I know what needs adjusting in the recipe for next time. I also have a reputation for good baking and don't want to ruin that by giving people something terrible because I havn't tested it first haha.
    It seems the best way may just be to try anticipate when I will be baking and eat less/ exercise more that day.
  • Leanne3552000
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets so sick of the smell of the baking that I don't WANT to eat them!?

Lucky. I wish it was like that for me.

"I'm on a diet... oh yum! A cupcake!" hahaha I love that!!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth just before baking. Or have someone assist you to do all the "dangerous" work! :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't bake as much as I used to, but I always bake when we have company and I eat what ever it is. I have only the one with friends, and trust myself to get it right the first time. If it's a batter I will taste the batter, I know my recipes well enough to know if a finger tip of batter doesn't taste right. Everything else can be fixed by pouring custard over.
  • tickletickle
    Options
    i stopped baking, unless its for a special occasion then i do, and then i go crazy!
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have my husband or children taste it for me. They know what's good.
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options

NO! I do this too! I will be craving someting like crazy, start making it, and by the time it's done, I no longer want it. I love to bake, and it's actually a good way to STOP my cravings! haha!