What do you like to work out to?

Options
Music? TV?

I use my exercise bike in my room a lot, so I used to read books from my reading list or just watch episodes of Sex and the City whilst cycling!

What helps you? I find by watching something I become less distracted to look at my progress on the bike and can go for 30 minutes, just concentrating on the screen and exercising at the same time.

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I am on the treadmill I use the TV ... I also use the TV for my interval trainer... when commercials come on, I do the higher speeds and then lower it when the show comes back on. I used to do the same thing with the bike trainer, but haven't had that in the house for a while (It takes up a the bit of living space which is now occupied by a treadmill.)
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am doing. Walking outside or working my way around the circuit I am plugged into my Ipod. When on the eliptical, treadmill or stationary bike I plug in to the TV and watch something entertaining to make the time go by.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I usually stream some campy old TV show from netflix while I'm using the treadmill or exercise bike. I'm on Buffy now ;)
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love music and it is a great distraction, but right now when I exercise it's just me and the wind making music
  • 2004Jessica
    Options
    Oldies music! Or southern gospel music. Not to the TV so much- too many food commercials!!! :laugh:
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    when commercials come on, I do the higher speeds and then lower it when the show comes back on.

I do this as well! During the credits or the title music, I work faster to pass the time. It's like a little challenge!
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Zumba and belly dancing, I also like being outside, walking, etc.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you can read a book during exercise, you are not doing it right :-)

I like to watch TV shows, because it fits my usual exercise time. I can watch 1 drama show (40 min) or 2 sitcom episodes (2 x 20 min). Same when I am running, I am listening to Friends episodes, I extracted the audio from the DVDs and listen to those. So I run 1 episode out and 1 episode back home.
    It is easier for me to run when I am distracted. I agree that music helps with pace and such, but it is not distracting me enough from the fact that I am doing something that I don't necessarily enjoy doing...
  • bbialik
    Options
    I don't consider myself to be a metalhead but I've listened to a lot of classic metal over the years while exercising. Lately, I've been sticking to Judas Priest Radio on Pandora.
  • orklord
    orklord Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    when I go out for a jog, I always listen to Podrunner. Its a free weekly podcast with 30 to 45 minutes of high energy techno music. They evn group the music by a certain beats-per-minute so you can find a set to help you with your pace. Great stuff!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My treadmill and exercycle are set up right in front of my big screen TV. I have a program on my treadmill that varies incline and speed, while my exercycle is just an exercycle. The TV really helps with boredom, and I will watch whatever peaks my interest, whether it is an all-news network, ETWN, the travel network, or my favorite dramas. I would like to get to the point that I never sit in front of the TV.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I love jogging to my Rocky movie music mix. Makes me think of Rocky working hard.
  • pandabear_
    Options

Haha, yes! I guess I'm just saving myself time at least.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I listen to the radio and/or play games on my iphone.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Love the netflix idea for when Im inside!!! I usually listen to the 90's station when I am walking outside. Otherwise I just walk with no music, I find that my mind clears and its so nice to focus on nothing sometimes!
  • pandabear_
    Options
    when I go out for a jog, I always listen to Podrunner. Its a free weekly podcast with 30 to 45 minutes of high energy techno music. They evn group the music by a certain beats-per-minute so you can find a set to help you with your pace. Great stuff!

That's a great tip, thanks! :smile:
  • danstvguy
    Options

I kinda agree with this statement. But technically its not accurate. If your goal is PURELY calorie burn will burn more reading and (say recumbent bicycling) that just reading. Of course if you put the magazine down your workout will improve two-fold or more and I think be much more exhilarating and pass by faster (magazine will stay dryer, too).
  • deepbluesea
    Options

Is there a way to get this for mp3 players? (i hate my ipod).
  • deepbluesea
    Options
    confession: i like cheesy pop music.. my current favorite work out song is "Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae..haha.. like a teenager but I dont care.