Black Bean Quesadillas

Options
Phoenixflame
Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
My blog's newest recipe: http://damnthefreshman15.blogspot.com/2009/01/black-bean-quesadillas.html

I had some leftover beans and really miss Mexican food. A deadly combination.

Black Bean Quesadillas

Ingredients:
- 2 thin corn tortillas (I use Mission Extra Thin, 40 cals each)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (more if you like it hot)
- Dash of oregano
- Dash of garlic powder
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt (I like Fage 0%)
- 1/4 cup shredded non/low fat cheese (optional)

In a pan spritzed with cooking spray, start cooking the onions on medium heat.

When onions start to become translucent (but aren't fully cooked), add in everything but the yogurt and cheese. Cook until the spices have blended in and beans have gotten hot. If desired, mash beans a little.

Put the bean filling in a bowl and get your tortillas. Start preparing your tortillas in the pan however you like. I don't like 'em too crunchy. When they are at about half of what you'd want them to be, ladle the bean filling into the two tortillas.

If you have cheese, add it now between the two tortillas.

Fold your tortilla and get it to the amount of cookedness that you want. While cooking, press down pretty hard on the beans to seal them up.

Transfer to a plate and cut, so that you'll have 4 pieces. Top with yogurt and eat!

Ok, some of y'all probably think I lost it in the Nature's Market aisle. Yogurt on your precious quesadillas? Let me explain. Sour cream rocks, but it's loaded with baddies. Fat free is better, but there's still little in way of nutrition. Plain Greek yogurt, however, tastes like a slightly milder sour cream and has tons of protein and calcium goodness.

Nutrition:
(without cheese)
232 calories
43 g carb
2 g fat
13 g protein
8 g fiber

(with cheese--Trader Joe's Light Mexican Blend)
312 calories
44 g carb
7 g fat
22 g protein
8 g fiber

Meal Suggestion:
Pair this sucker with a Mexican salad! If you have beans that spilled from your 'dilla while cooking, throw them on top of a bed of greens. Add some peppers, tomatoes, a dash of cumin, and some salsa.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My blog's newest recipe: http://damnthefreshman15.blogspot.com/2009/01/black-bean-quesadillas.html

I had some leftover beans and really miss Mexican food. A deadly combination.

Black Bean Quesadillas

Ingredients:
    - 2 thin corn tortillas (I use Mission Extra Thin, 40 cals each)
    - 1/2 cup canned black beans
    - 2 tbsp chopped onions
    - 1/2 tsp cumin
    - 1/8 tsp chili powder (more if you like it hot)
    - Dash of oregano
    - Dash of garlic powder
    - 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt (I like Fage 0%)
    - 1/4 cup shredded non/low fat cheese (optional)

In a pan spritzed with cooking spray, start cooking the onions on medium heat.

When onions start to become translucent (but aren't fully cooked), add in everything but the yogurt and cheese. Cook until the spices have blended in and beans have gotten hot. If desired, mash beans a little.

Put the bean filling in a bowl and get your tortillas. Start preparing your tortillas in the pan however you like. I don't like 'em too crunchy. When they are at about half of what you'd want them to be, ladle the bean filling into the two tortillas.

If you have cheese, add it now between the two tortillas.

Fold your tortilla and get it to the amount of cookedness that you want. While cooking, press down pretty hard on the beans to seal them up.

Transfer to a plate and cut, so that you'll have 4 pieces. Top with yogurt and eat!

Ok, some of y'all probably think I lost it in the Nature's Market aisle. Yogurt on your precious quesadillas? Let me explain. Sour cream rocks, but it's loaded with baddies. Fat free is better, but there's still little in way of nutrition. Plain Greek yogurt, however, tastes like a slightly milder sour cream and has tons of protein and calcium goodness.

Nutrition:
    (without cheese)
    232 calories
    43 g carb
    2 g fat
    13 g protein
    8 g fiber

(with cheese--Trader Joe's Light Mexican Blend)
    312 calories
    44 g carb
    7 g fat
    22 g protein
    8 g fiber

Meal Suggestion:
    Pair this sucker with a Mexican salad! If you have beans that spilled from your 'dilla while cooking, throw them on top of a bed of greens. Add some peppers, tomatoes, a dash of cumin, and some salsa.