HRM QUESTION

Options
I don't have a heart rate monitor yet but I'm going to buy one that's a watch. I was wondering...because I don't really know how it works yet...Could you wear it all day long (not just when you exercise) to figure out how many calories you really burned for the whole day?

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM watch question to so I will borrow your thread lol.. I just got mine and haven't used it yet because I'm not sure how to convert lbs to kg.

the manual says to multiply by 2.2

143 x 2.2 = 314.6 but the watch only allows a 1 or 0 in the first position should I be dividing instead? 143 / 2.2 = 65

help please and thanks. (:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor yet but I'm going to buy one that's a watch. I was wondering...because I don't really know how it works yet...Could you wear it all day long (not just when you exercise) to figure out how many calories you really burned for the whole day?

I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as well as the watch, they are more accurate.

No, HRM's will not be accurate at calculating your calories burned all day, as the embedded equation in the HRM assumes you are exercising and with HR only being one part of the equation, will over estimate your burn at rest.

If you want a device that calculates cals burned all day, take a look at the fitbit or a bodybug.
  • PhatChic1186
    Options

I think it depends on the HRM you buy.. I know I was told if you get a POLAR, that you should only wear it when working out and that it shouldn't be worn all day.. I have the POLAR FT4, and I wear it anytime, I walk, workout, clean..The only time I dont wear it is when Im not doing anything..But I hear you can buy some that you can wear all day..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM watch question to so I will borrow your thread lol.. I just got mine and haven't used it yet because I'm not sure how to convert lbs to kg.

143 x 2.2 = 314.6 but the watch only allows a 1 or 0 in the first position should I be dividing instead? 143 / 2.2 = 65

Yes, to get KG's from lbs you would divide 143 lbs by 2.2 to get Kg's as 1 Kg = 2.2 lbs.
  • TMcBooty
    Options

143 x 2.2 = 314.6 but the watch only allows a 1 or 0 in the first position should I be dividing instead?
    143 / 2.2 = 65

Yes, to get KG's from lbs you would divide 143 lbs by 2.2 to get Kg's as 1 Kg = 2.2 lbs.

thank you
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    I just tried my HR watch and it kept losing signal.. any ideas as to what I should do? Do I need to really soak the strap maybe.. ?