new here - compare to Sparkpeople?

Options
2»

Replies

• cbonuz
    Options
    After reading this post, I went to sparkpeople and signed up to see what it was all about. I think the concept of the program is a good idea and it appeared to have some better resources (i.e. meal plans, exercises and videos) but the site itself is soooo cluttered and busy that it didn't take long to feel overwhelmed. MFP is so much more user-friendly, the pals on this site are eager to help, always around and are a great support family. Needless to say, I deleted my account with sparkpeople :) I LOVE MYFITNESSPAL!!!!!
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Used Sparkpeople last year for a while. It never kept my interest. I found myfitnesspal by accident, joined about two months ago and have logged on everyday since. I think this has a great food database. The tools are great and if I can't find info for the type of cardio exercise I do, I find something close or I go on the internet, find the information and add it My Exercise database. Recently I started interacting on the message boards and participating in challenges. This has taken my motivation to a whole new level.

I LOVE MFP and would recommend it over SP.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    This site has a better, more user-friendly food diary. Sparkpeople has a lot better information along with health and exercise resources, free workout plans etc. Both communities are great! It depends which features matter the most to you.

This. I don't really like Spark's food diary, though it is better than years ago. I'm mainly here to use the food tracker, but Spark's exercise tracker is better (full of examples of how to do certain exercises), as well as the Teams and articles there. The forums here, even though many have said are supportive, can also be full of arguments & trolls. Also, besides religion, anything related to sexual orientation is banned & deleted (more specifically, if you mention gay/lesbian - anything heterosexual is fine). (see here for explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/robogreifer/view/if-you-re-not-pissed-off-you-re-not-paying-attention-127576) Therefore, I don't participate much on the forums here, instead I use Spark since there are specific groups you can join, and I have yet to encounter any trolls there.

I've met great, supportive people on both sites.

PS - sorry if I get this post deleted because I said bad words! :laugh: