Too Much Sodium- how to "release" it ?

Options
So, my day yesterday had waaaay too much Sodium in it. Low calorie.. but, high sodium. Is there something I can do to "release" that? or get rid of it? will extra water help.. ? or will I just retain more because of all the Sodium?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just give it time and don't stress about the scale.
  • BlutAura
    Options
    Cardio and water! Sweat it out and replace with water.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    You can drink water, workout hard so you'll sweat it out, and make sure you get enough potassium today because the sodium-potassium balance in your body plays a big role in whether you retain fluid or excrete it. I've also read that swimming or soaking in a warm bath can help, but I've never tried so I don't know if it works.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and maybe some watermelon! But really not a big deal unless you have some event or something.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    water, water, water, and keep an eye on your sodium intake for the next few days, it'll even out :)
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    "The Solution to Pollution is Dilution"

Drink more water...I drink a gallon per day minimum.... :drinker:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Extra water, make sure you exercise, and eat foods high in potassium. Cut back on today's sodium a bit too.

Those steps should help flush it out but depending on how much extra you got and how sensitive you are to sodium, it could take a couple of days.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can drink a little extra water, but don't overdo it. You'll just flush out vitamins, minerals and other important electrolytes. If you keep drinking 8 glasses of water a day your body will flush out the excess sodium on its own, you really don't have to do anything extra but wait a few days.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    yes, stop eating so much sodium. Get away from all the boxed, frozen and prepared crap for "real" foods. Don't worry so much about the sodium and instead focus on what you are eating and how you can change for the better.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I almost cried when I stepped on the scale and it said I GAINED 3 POUNDS!!
    I checked my nutrition from the day before and I had two times the amount of sodium that I am supposed to have!!
    I was stuck in the car driving for more than four hours...STARVING and stopped a few times and the only thing low calorie in the gas station was BEEF JERKY!!
    I had 2300 sodium just from those two beef jerky's!!! Not to mention the added sodium in the other food I ate that day :(
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always gain about 3 lbs. from Friday to Saturday/Sunday, mostly because I eat more foods away from home over the weekend that are undoubtedly loaded with sodium compared to my usual intake during the week. By Monday/Tuesday my weight drops back down. If you know you have eaten or are going to be eating higher sodium foods, try to drink extra water and stay off the scale a few days if it really gets you down.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of liquids (water or other) and exercise to sweat it out.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical problem the body will maintain a proper sodium/potassium balance. Just give it a few days.