what to look at... calories burned or minutes exercised?

Options
QUESTION: Is it better to burn 400 calories in 30 minutes with a hard work out on elliptical or only burn 550 calories with a 60 minute work out?

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you only have 1/2 to work out and have the energy then clearly the first one is better. If you don't have as much energy & have the time, then the second one is better.

Any workout is best. Between the two you listed, I don't think one is 'better' because it depends on factors of time and how you feel.

You're burning calories; that's what best!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much time you have, I guess.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    They're both great. Why not mix it up depending on the day?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight then more calories the better.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I go for intensity. You may not burn as many calories DURING your 30 minute workout, but I believe you get more benefits out of a shorter, very intense workout (at least from what I've read) - think afterburn!!. I like to mix it up a bit. One day, I'll do a shorter/intense workout (often with intervals), and one day I'll do a longer steady paced workout (but still at a good intensity - no dilly dallying!!). I'm all about intensity though :-) Even when I was doing 60 minutes elliptical sessions, I pushed myself hard the whole time.
  • martinh78
    Options
    From a fat burning point of view, the longer, less intense workout is better.

From a fitness point of view the shorter, more intense workout would be better.

Mixing the two would work really well. Maybe one intense day followed by two longer days, followed by a rest day?
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i would say its more about getting your heart rate to beat at about70% normal that way you re in the fat burning zone........
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Echoing the consensus..I'd go for a mix of both days or whichever you're more comfortable with that day.

I like the first option because you get more bang for your buck. One of the benefits of exercise is that because you're increasing your HR.. your resting HR will be conditioned to be higher after an intense workout causing you to burn more calories in the long run.

However, the less intense option is good for days following an intense workout. Some people can't or don't like really intense workouts.. for them the second option is better because it at least gets them out there. Whichever works best for you.
  • codypedler
    codypedler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It all depends on heart rate. 70% of your maximum HR. (max=220-age) is the "fat burning" above 70% is cardio, where you will actually burn some muscle as well as fat. so its good to mix them up, unless you are training for a body building competition where every bit of muscle counts.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    400 in 30 would mean 800 in 60 if you kept up the same intensity.

Rememeber: It's not HOW LONG you spend at the gym that produces results....it's What you DO while you're there?

The vast majority of exercisers I see are most Inefficient in their workout plans.

Edit: FYI - The whole "Fat Burning Zone" thing is a myth that is given far more attention than is warrented.