Cant run because its raining outside... what to do?

Options
before anyone suggests it, No, I will not run in the rain. it is just not an option for me because I have my two kids with me when I run. If I didnt, then it would be a different story.
It has been raining or drizzling all week. I got to run once on monday and havnt been able to since then because of the weather. normally I run every other day. I am beginning to see my inability to run affect my moods... i'm depressed, tired, and I ache to get outside and run off some stress. :frown:

What can I do in the meantime for exercise? I do not have access to a gym or gym equipment. I have the 30DS DVD, but have completed that and there is only so much of it I can take. I also do Pilates, but frankly, I am kinda bored with it. Thank you for any suggestions. I need to get out of this funk. its going to be raining for the rest of the week, so something needs to be done.

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Continuous jumping jacks are an AWESOME way to get your heart rate up.....Or jumping rope.

Another option would be to run the stairs (if you have access to any inside of your house). You COULD always run around your house. You may feel a little silly, but it's a good workout if you can take it seriously!
  • DafphineSpencer
    Options
    do you have stairs to do stair laps on?
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Put on dance music and dance dance dance :) Sometimes I use an imaginary jump rope and jump...sometimes I pretend I'm an awesome dancer too =P
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It's been pouring all week here too. Can you run outside and have someone watch the kids?
  • gat4400
    gat4400 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How about going to a nerby mall and do a few laps around it....Its better than nothing, chin up u have done amazing so far :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Exercise TV always has SOMETHING.

Plus, if you usually run with your kids in a jogging stroller, could you get a rain cover for it, so that next time, you can still run & still take them with you?
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Can you make up your own exercises ? Take your fav. stuff from pilates and 30DS and make up a 30 min routine. Jog in place, jumping jacks, push ups, crunches, lunges, etc. Lift 'weights' with cans/milk jugs/kids. Leg presses with your small child on your feet. THey'll love it!
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Jog in place while watching your favorite tv shows!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    If you have stairs in your house you should go up and down for about 30 minutes. works up a good sweat.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    no stairs. :frown: we've got a tiny little 3 bedroom house. not much room to do anything. lol.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    do the kids have any game systems, might be worth a trip to game stop to maybe get a wii or playstation used game, or if it's going to be raining for a few days maybe go rent one from blockbuster that could be something you and the kids would have fun with.
  • ehedges31
    Options
    www.bodyrock.tv

search throughout the older videos, read about their diet/fitness advice.. they have some that are body weight only, some that are cardio with little or no equipment.

here is the cardio one I spoke of: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2009/07/27/20-minute-interval-cardio-workout-part-15/
    its Interval cardio so it blasts fat and its only 20 minutes. can't beat that.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable? My cable company has free on-demand workouts - a pretty good selection too. :) Netflix also has a small selection, if you're a member with them and can stream. You could even try you-tube for isometric exercises and workout ideas - there's all kinds of stuff there!

Hope it clears up soon so you can get out to play.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    Run in place?
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    if you have a wii, you can find lots of fitness games, they are pretty fun, or if you're bored with your dvds, netflix has lots online, or you can borrow lots of different ones from a local library. Good luck! :)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Put on dance music and dance dance dance :) Sometimes I use an imaginary jump rope and jump...sometimes I pretend I'm an awesome dancer too =P
    :bigsmile:
  • nirvana1
    Options
    I also run and I understand your dilemma. I went running last night and did just over 3 miles (although some of it is walked, I'm not that brilliant) and it started hard raining after about a mile and a half, it was terrible!
    To be honest, I look like a complete *kitten*, but if I can't get out I run round the house. I set a time goal on my iPhone alarm and just watch tv while running round the living room, I try to incorporate some jumping jacks as well.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    no stairs. :frown: we've got a tiny little 3 bedroom house. not much room to do anything. lol.

There would be room to run on the spot, or do jumping jacks, or jump rope. Don't let the rain, the kids, or the small house be excuses. You can do it!
  • mccgivens
    Options
    I jog in place while watching TV or turn the music up!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My vote is with Exercise TV is as well. Either using your cable On Demand or online. The variety of workouts are endless. Also, of you have Netflix, there is usually a few work out dvds you can steam.