Its just not enough!

Options
I am not feeling satisfied at all on non-workout days! Actually, I am super hungry! My job is busy, I work in xray and constantly on my feet! Pushing stretchers, pulling patients, wearing lead and so on! I rise at 5:15 daily and start with green tea, I eat oatmeal in car for the hour drive. Bananna at work, 2 eggs, and water. Midmorning nuts etc. you get the picture....

The days I work out it is fine! It gives me the added calories, plus I hate working out feeling full, and rarely hungry post workout for two hours, so I drink shake in car, and drive an hour! Now its Hockey time...UGh...then home for homework, laundry, dinner and life.

Today I will not work out because I did strength last night, and I need to be a mom! I just finished my sandwich and I have 500 some odd calories left...ok, well sammon for dinner with sweet potatoe, will due me in, and I will have yogurt at 2p.m., BUT I AM HUNGRY! Like stomach empty hungry...

Is this because I work out late? Increase in metabolism? It is driving me nuts...the first year was ok, now its starting to affect me. I don't expect miracles, and have lost 4lbs, and for me that is fine! Scrubs are looser, face is thin, I will do this, but I am obsessed with the calorie number and wonder are my choices bad?

Looking for any advice, harsh or not! I drive 2hrs a day, work 40 hrs plus a week, and am working on getting my teen into college! I can change anything, just need a push in the right direction...and NO, its not PMS or nerves...I had a hysterectomy, and meditate, so other than being super HYPER...I am just your average mom, looking for ideas to tame this ravage beast in my abdomen...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you ever log the days that you work as exercise? Im a cna at a hospital and so often times im running around for 11 out of my 12 hour shifts so i end up logging that i atleast walked an hour because there is NO way i could only eat 1200 calories while running around that much.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Working out actually makes you less hungry!! That's why maybe on days you don't work out, you're feeling really hungry.
    What are you eating in general?
    ETA: Seeing the poster above made me think of something - maybe on work days, change your settings to "active" if they aren't already there?
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I work every day but weekends, and no I do not log it..In the beginning it asked, and had "nurse" so I chose that.

Diary is open...Just freaks me when I know its noon, and I will be up till 11p.m., with limited caloric intake.

Thanks for advice.
  • timeguardian13
    timeguardian13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you set your daily activity as active or very active? That should increase the number of calories you are allowed a day... and I think it is fair considering your routine.....

When I am too hungry I try eating leaves (letuce for example) that count very little calories.
    Or I get some diet jelly, only 9 cals every 120gr portion or something close to that....
    Those strategies help me with the empty stomach feeling, but if your problem is feeling low in energy, maybe you should try switching your activity status.....

good luck
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    How I would change your meal from today:
    Instant oatmeal is high in calories, has added sugar, and isn't as filling as old fashioned or steel cut. Make these in advance and put them in portions before hand then pop in the microwave. I don't eat bananas, too high in calories, instead put berries on top of your oatmeal and stir.
    Instead of jelly, which has no nutritional value, use sliced fruit like an apple or half you banana here. BTW - a cup of blackberries has 61 calories, a Tbsp of your blackberry preserve has 40 or 45. So if you measured a 1/2 cup of blackberries then mashed them up and used them on your sandwich you'd cut out 10 or 15 calories, increase your nutrients, and end up putting a lot more blackberry in your belly.
    With your tuna, try avacado instead of mayo to get your creamy texture
    You just need to make the most out of your calories through simple substitutions.
  • wendyc122005
    Options
    I agree. Convenience is often at higher cost even when it comes to calories. Unprocessed food that you prepare will have fewer cals, carbs, fat, ect.

Try just the egg whites. You will save 53 cals per egg. You can have more and be kinder to your heart. You can add veggies and a little ff cheese and this would be a very filling breakfast.

Lunch - if you chose a dressing that is lite you can have a HUGE Salad and keep it well below the PB&J. Add some type of meat for protein.

Nuts - I only use nuts to curb my salt / crunch craving. It takes too many to fill any void and they are way high in calories.

Your dinner of salmon and sweet potato sounds great, but how big of a portion are you having and how are you preparing. Both have relatively low caloric count so I am not getting where you will come up with 500+. If you are using butter try Smart Balance Light. Way lower in calories and no transfat.

Great snack that I enjoy is a jello mold with sugar free jello (2 packages) and 1.5 of Greek Plain Yogurt. Use two cups of boiling water and blend it all. Let set and you have a great snack for just 40 calories and it is filling.

One last thought is more lean protein . . . much more filling than other choices.

I would also definitely count some of your work activity in your exercise and eat back some of it, but not all. I am really resistant to eating back cals. Just make it lean protein.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am not feeling satisfied at all on non-workout days! Actually, I am super hungry! My job is busy, I work in xray and constantly on my feet! Pushing stretchers, pulling patients, wearing lead and so on! I rise at 5:15 daily and start with green tea, I eat oatmeal in car for the hour drive. Bananna at work, 2 eggs, and water. Midmorning nuts etc. you get the picture....

The days I work out it is fine! It gives me the added calories, plus I hate working out feeling full, and rarely hungry post workout for two hours, so I drink shake in car, and drive an hour! Now its Hockey time...UGh...then home for homework, laundry, dinner and life.

Today I will not work out because I did strength last night, and I need to be a mom! I just finished my sandwich and I have 500 some odd calories left...ok, well sammon for dinner with sweet potatoe, will due me in, and I will have yogurt at 2p.m., BUT I AM HUNGRY! Like stomach empty hungry...

Is this because I work out late? Increase in metabolism? It is driving me nuts...the first year was ok, now its starting to affect me. I don't expect miracles, and have lost 4lbs, and for me that is fine! Scrubs are looser, face is thin, I will do this, but I am obsessed with the calorie number and wonder are my choices bad?

Looking for any advice, harsh or not! I drive 2hrs a day, work 40 hrs plus a week, and am working on getting my teen into college! I can change anything, just need a push in the right direction...and NO, its not PMS or nerves...I had a hysterectomy, and meditate, so other than being super HYPER...I am just your average mom, looking for ideas to tame this ravage beast in my abdomen...

Thanks in advance!

Your hungry because your eating way too many empty carbs and not enough protein. Protein and fats keep you full and satisfied. Carbs are burned and leave you hungry..............

Load up on carbs in the form of fruits and vegetables.

Proteins and fats as previously mentioned will keep your body satisfied.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I agree. Convenience is often at higher cost even when it comes to calories. Unprocessed food that you prepare will have fewer cals, carbs, fat, ect.

Try just the egg whites. You will save 53 cals per egg. You can have more and be kinder to your heart. You can add veggies and a little ff cheese and this would be a very filling breakfast.

Lunch - if you chose a dressing that is lite you can have a HUGE Salad and keep it well below the PB&J. Add some type of meat for protein.

Nuts - I only use nuts to curb my salt / crunch craving. It takes too many to fill any void and they are way high in calories.

Your dinner of salmon and sweet potato sounds great, but how big of a portion are you having and how are you preparing. Both have relatively low caloric count so I am not getting where you will come up with 500+. If you are using butter try Smart Balance Light. Way lower in calories and no transfat.

Great snack that I enjoy is a jello mold with sugar free jello (2 packages) and 1.5 of Greek Plain Yogurt. Use two cups of boiling water and blend it all. Let set and you have a great snack for just 40 calories and it is filling.

One last thought is more lean protein . . . much more filling than other choices.

I would also definitely count some of your work activity in your exercise and eat back some of it, but not all. I am really resistant to eating back cals. Just make it lean protein.

There is nothing wrong with eating the whole egg. The yolk is where all the nutrients are anyway. And nothing about an egg yolk is unkind to the heart. That myth and lie has been debunked and pushed to the side a thousand times over.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always eat the whole egg...the yolk stuff, a myth as mentioned. Salad at lunch would be great if I could sit and eat! So this is why I choose the sadnwich, but hey, I will try!
    NUTS? HUH...24 almonds are both healthy and there is no salt, so that is confusing to me, but again, i am open for ideas.

I LOATHE avacado, and beleive in real butter and mayo, but I can go dry for a while, done it before.

Samon is baked, with chilli peppers, lemon pepper and the pan sprayed with olive oil. It is 100 calories a piece, I will eat two! baked potato plain, I never use fat free anything, nor fake butter...just don't care for it, plus my daughter is an athlete, and needs whole fats.

Anyway...I will approach next week differently and report back. Sunday is shopping day!

Thanks for the advice.
  • wendyc122005
    Options
    So don't want to start a great egg debate . . .

The fact is, you are correct, in moderation eating the egg yolk is probably not going to significantly impact your heart; however, 60% of the calories that are in an egg come from the fat (yolk). The cholesterol found in a single egg is something like 60+% of the total recommended daily intake. That is based on a 2000 calorie diet. It is also true that in most people increased cholesterol will lead to higher LDL which does raise your risk of heart disease. Most importantly, I was suggesting that you can eat MORE and be more satisfied by skipping the yolk.

Almonds - Totally agree that they are healthy. My point was that for me nuts do not do the trick in curbing my hunger. The calorie count per gram is disproportionate. The calorie cost is high for a small amount of food that may not be satisfying you.

Totally get the butter thing! I have changed my habit kicking and screaming, but use it Smart Balance mostly when cooking. Otherwise, I just skip it so that I don't wish for the real thing!
  • Grokette
    Options
    So don't want to start a great egg debate . . .

The fact is, you are correct, in moderation eating the egg yolk is probably not going to significantly impact your heart; however, 60% of the calories that are in an egg come from the fat (yolk). The cholesterol found in a single egg is something like 60+% of the total recommended daily intake. That is based on a 2000 calorie diet. It is also true that in most people increased cholesterol will lead to higher LDL which does raise your risk of heart disease. Most importantly, I was suggesting that you can eat MORE and be more satisfied by skipping the yolk.

Almonds - Totally agree that they are healthy. My point was that for me nuts do not do the trick in curbing my hunger. The calorie count per gram is disproportionate. The calorie cost is high for a small amount of food that may not be satisfying you.

Totally get the butter thing! I have changed my habit kicking and screaming, but use it Smart Balance mostly when cooking. Otherwise, I just skip it so that I don't wish for the real thing!

Cholesterol nor saturated fat intake increases the risk of heart disease. This has been debunked by numerous studies to debunk and bury this subject.

I also find it very ironic that the countries (particularly the US and Canada) that have the lowest fat and cholesterol intake also have the highest heart disease and cardiovascular disease rates of countries that eat high fat.

http://www.spacedoc.com/saturated_fat_and_cholesterol_do_not_cause_heart_disease
    . Almost two-dozen studies have reported that coronary heart disease patients ate less or the same amount of saturated fat as healthy controls. The huge World Health Organization project MONICA (Monitoring of Trends and Determinants in Cardiovascular Disease) that collected data from 21 countries for over 10 years failed to find any correlation between heart attacks and fat consumption or cholesterol.

Every single country with the lowest fat consumption had the highest mortality rates from heart disease and those with the most fat consumption had the lowest. The French consumed three times as much saturated fat compared to Azerbaijan but had one-eighth the rate of heart disease. The heart disease death rate in Finland was three times greater than in Switzerland, even though the Swiss ate twice as much fat.

2. No dietary cholesterol lowering trial has ever shown a reduction in lowering coronary disease or total mortality. In the "Prudent Diet" study of 49 to 59 year-old men, one group substituted margarine for butter, cold cereal for eggs, and chicken and fish for beef. Controls ate eggs for breakfast and meat three times a day.

After ten years, cholesterol levels averaged 30 points lower in the first group, but they had eight deaths from heart disease compared to none for the meat eaters. Ancel Keys also fed middle-aged men a very high cholesterol diet but found that their cholesterol levels were no different than a control group who consumed less than half as much.

Two decades later, he finally admitted "There's no connection whatsoever between cholesterol in food and cholesterol in blood. And we've known that all along. Cholesterol in the diet doesn't matter at all unless you happen to be a chicken or a rabbit."

3. In the Framingham study, which was responsible for establishing cholesterol, hypertension and cigarette smoking as the three major risk factors for coronary heart disease, a 26-year follow-up report found that 50% of cases occurred in people with below average cholesterol. There was a direct association between falling cholesterol levels over the first 14 years of the study and increased mortality rates over the following 18 years.

For men above the age of 47, those with low cholesterol had greater mortality rates than those with high cholesterol. Subjects whose cholesterol had decreased spontaneously over 30 years were also at greater risk of dying from heart disease than those whose cholesterol had increased. In addition, the more saturated fat and the more cholesterol people ate, the lower their serum cholesterol was. Those who ate the most saturated fats weighed the least.

4. No association between cholesterol levels and the severity or extent of atherosclerosis has ever been found in postmortem studies of the general population. No clinical or imaging study has found any relation between the degree of cholesterol lowering and improvement.

In one angiography study, in which blood cholesterol had been reduced by more than 25% in 24 patients, atherosclerosis was increased in 18 and unchanged in eight. Cholesterol rose in 12 other patients but only 4 showed an increase in atherosclerosis. A Mayo Clinic study similarly found that in all patients whose cholesterols had decreased by more than 60, there was a significant increase in coronary atherosclerosis.

5. High cholesterol does not increase risk for heart attacks or other coronary events in people older than 65, women of any age, as well as patients with diabetes or renal failure. Senior citizens with high cholesterols have significantly fewer infections and live longer than low cholesterol controls. In familial hypercholesterolemia, there is no association between the very high cholesterol and LDL levels and a corresponding increased incidence or prevalence of coronary disease.

6. The huge and lengthy MRFIT study (Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial) was designed to prove the links between diet, cholesterol, and other Framingham risk factors with heart disease. Cholesterol consumption was cut by 42 percent, and saturated fat consumption by 28 percent and on long-term follow-up, those adhering to this dietary fat restriction had slightly lower coronary heart disease death rates.

However, this benefit was far outweighed by significantly increased total mortality rates, especially from hemorrhagic stroke, cancer, suicide, accidents and violence. The risk of dying from a cerebral hemorrhage was 500% greater in those with low cholesterol compared to those with high levels. In most other studies, the incidence of stroke was higher in those who ate less saturated fat.

Excerpted, with permission, from: Health and Stress, The Newsletter of The American Institute of Stress. ( www.stress.org )

Paul J. Rosch, M.D., M.A., F.A.C.P.
    President of The American Institute of Stress,
    Clinical Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry at New York Medical College,
    Honorary Vice President of the International Stress Management Association and Chairman of its U.S. branch.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I always eat the whole egg...the yolk stuff, a myth as mentioned. Salad at lunch would be great if I could sit and eat! So this is why I choose the sadnwich, but hey, I will try!
    NUTS? HUH...24 almonds are both healthy and there is no salt, so that is confusing to me, but again, i am open for ideas.

I LOATHE avacado, and beleive in real butter and mayo, but I can go dry for a while, done it before.

Samon is baked, with chilli peppers, lemon pepper and the pan sprayed with olive oil. It is 100 calories a piece, I will eat two! baked potato plain, I never use fat free anything, nor fake butter...just don't care for it, plus my daughter is an athlete, and needs whole fats.

Anyway...I will approach next week differently and report back. Sunday is shopping day!

Thanks for the advice.

Add some extra protein, but make your salmon in coconut oil or butter. Put some coconut oil or butter on your potato.

You will find that you will stay full a lot longer.

Try some macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans or walnuts.
  • wendyc122005
    Options
    Studies can be skewed to support any position. Isn't it a wonderful country that we live in that we have the freedom to make assertions and agree or disagree.

I think you have taken my belief personally. I am sorry for that. I have seen individuals who reduced their cholesterol intake reduce their LDL and just become healthier. Perhaps that is a result of over all lifestyle change.

Again, I think you are missing my point for xraylady. Whites are significantly less in calories and she can eat a larger volume to combat her hunger. This was the point and it really didn't need to go so far.

Have a great day!