" eating most exercise calories", 1200 is just a number?

Options
What does that mean???? I've heard this expression a lot on these boards. I thought it was simple, take in less Calories (assuming eating right foods, not junk) then your caloric requirement, using exercise to help burn calories.

I don't get this 1200 minimum. You won't starve if you net 500 or 600. There is plenty of fat storage to make up for the difference. Isn't that the point, to deplete the fat storages by using them up to compensate for the required calories?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Maybe I won't starve literally but I would sure feel like I was and why do that to myself? I have a long way to go and I won't make it if I am constantly hungry.
  • navjhaj
    Options
    Maybe I won't starve literally but I would sure feel like I was and why do that to myself? I have a long way to go and I won't make it if I am constantly hungry.

One thing I've discovered here that I really didn't do before is to drink a LOT of water-- even more than the 2 Liter recommendations , I don't feel so hungry, then.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you eat too few calories, your body will try to hang on to each and every calorie it can, slowing down bodily functions in an attempt to get by on those calories, possibly burning fat as a last resort AFTER it's burned through muscle. It's just not healthy.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat.