HELP! Low Carb Vegetarian????

Hey all! I'm a vegetarian and I lost 40 lbs on MFP! Woo-hoo! I'm in that phase of being so close to my goal I can almost touch it, but I just can't seem to make it happen....

I know what I need to do- up my intensity in work outs and what not....but the part I"m really struggling with is the "low carb" thing. I do honestly believe I need to eat low carb in order to finally have a flat belly, but I can't seem to make it through a day while staying within my own carb goals - which, honestly, aren't even all that strict.

Are there any vegetarians out there who are making the low carb thing work for them??? How are you doing that????

Please help me! I don't want to start eating meat (it's been 15 years!) but I also don't wanna have to starve myself to have a flat stomache for once in my life!

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    I friended you, but look up Cauliflower pizza crust under search, it is awesome, and I use veggie pepperonis on it totally awesome! Good Protein too. I should also mention I am a vegaquarian, so I do eat seafood for protein.
  • I use the Atkins bars and Low carb soy milk (Soy Slender). I have not eaten meat for more than 10 years, so I eat a lot of fish with lots, lots of veggies and salads. Good luck with getting these last pounds off! :-)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    Congrats! I am a vegetarian too. I recently got into MFP and I am already seeing results. My problem isn't so much what I eat but how much I ate of everything. I am not too concerned about watching my carbs at the moment but I just wanted to share a cookbook I have. It's called Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robertson. It gives you recipes for appetizers and snacks, soups/stews, salads, sides, main courses, sauces and so on. The book also tells you how many potions the recipe makes, how many calories, fat, protein, carbs and so on are in each one. I've tried a few recipes and they were pretty good. It may be worth looking into!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    I can't view your food log, so I'm not sure how many carbs you are eating per day, but vegetarianism and low carb diets are a difficult combination. Are you staying within the MFP recommendation for macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, fat)? If you are going over the daily recommendation for carbs, try cutting down breads, pasta, rice and add in an egg white omelette or some greek yogurt. If you are within the recommendations for macro-nutrients, then I wouldn't recommend making any changes to your diet.

Just from looking at your photo, your stomach looks really flat. You might need to focus on more toning to get your desired appearance.

Good job on the weight loss though. I'm looking to lose about the same amount you did and I hope to get the same results that you did!
    =)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    i'm shooting for 30% of my calories coming from carbs (max!).... i've been failing miserably so looking at my diary wouldn't help! BUt if you wanna see it, friend me and then you can check it out!
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    You have done amazingly to lose 40 pounds.
    I have problems keeping my carbs down too. I like soya yogurt and sometimes eat eggs for breakfast, when I have these things my carb balance is better. Interesting to see your other responses. Thanks for posting.