Exercising adds bonus calories?

Options
I'm exercising and my calories get bumped up because I worked out....what's that all about? I've never adjusted my diet because I work out before. I'm not doing lifting yet- just cardio. My cal's are supposed to be 1200 a day but w/ working out it's like 1500....that seems like a bit much. Please help =)

Replies

• heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm exercising and my calories get bumped up because I worked out....what's that all about? I've never adjusted my diet because I work out before. I'm not doing lifting yet- just cardio. My cal's are supposed to be 1200 a day but w/ working out it's like 1500....that seems like a bit much. Please help =)
  • melissa91971
    Options
    Almost everyone here says you should eat your exercise calories or you are starving your body and your weight will stop coming off.

Everyone is different. I have learned that it works better for me to eat about half of the exercise calories instead of all of them. But I am still fairly new here.

You will get verried opinoins. Most will tell you to eat all of them at first. Then if your not losing at your 1-2 pound a week rate like you should then eat fewer of the exercise calories.

I am learning WATER is key to success. Don't forget to get that in.

Good luck to us both!

~Mel
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Please read the info under help, and also under all topics, general for "newbie's. It will answer most, if not all, of your questions. :smile:
  • eammarx
    eammarx Posts: 56
    Options
    I was seriously about to post this myself. I am relatively new to actually keeping track of my food intake but I am going to start excercising tomorrow and I was unsure about whether I should "eat" those calories. I used to not the first time I lost 60 pounds but I do remember being soooooooooooooo hungry all the time. So now that I have this challenge again I am having a hard time when I excercise. So I guess we shall see.
  • heyjude78
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback- I'll try to incorporate the extra exercise cals with healthy cals =)
  • 4real
    4real Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started watching my calorie intake two weeks ago, my first week I would eat all of my exercise calories, but I noticed that I wasn't losing any weight. So my 2nd week I started only eating a small portion of my exercise cal. and I have lost 2 lbs. , so I think you have to figure out what works best for you.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat your exercise calories - to make things complicated :) you can count the added calories minus what you would have burned that hour if you were not exercising (as that is already computed in your daily allotment - for example, resting I burn 100 calories per hour so if I work out and burn 400 calories, only 300 of those are in addition to what I would have been burning that hour if I had not been exercising.
  • heyjude78
    Options
    After about 5 x reading that I finally understand- good point - thanks!