Diminished sense of thirst anyone?

Options
Water is the all important key to healthy life. It also helps with weightloss. If water is so awesome, why is it that I can't make myself drink enough? Do I have a defective sense of thirst? Is there such thing? If so, do you know a way to fix it?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Being thirsty is usually a sign that you are already slightly dehydrated. It is best to drink so you don't become thirsty.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Drink more, force it. You'll start to crave it. I used to drive a 12-pack of pop a day at one point, now I'm averaging about 12-14 cups of water a day.
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also, can you count tea (hot or iced) as water?
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tea counts absolutely :)

If the amount is making you uncomfortable, then don't go that far. But as others said, just keep drinking what you are comfortable with and eventually your body will crave a certain amount. Depending on your height and weight you may not need 8+ glasses a day but that is a good baseline.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Also, can you count tea (hot or iced) as water?
    I do. It's water with some tannins in so.....

Don't stress over drinking so much. The 2 litres a day thing is a bit of fluff, much of the water you need comes from food.

If drinking 24 gallons of water (or whatever) helps you lose weight/attain your goals then great. Scientifically, it has no real weight - except as an appetite suppressant.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Try drinking through a straw. I have a 24 oz wtaer bottle that I fill 3 times a day while I'm at work. At first it was hard, but for some reason, drinking through a straw helps.