For all of the Texans here...

quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
How are you all doing with the wildfires? I'm here in Houston, we have a major one going on in Montgomery County area (45 north area) , the smoke has blown clear across to the southwest side of town. They issued an Air Quality advisory last night, the winds are blowing the smoke all over the place. Not only that, about 1400 people have lost their homes, it's pretty sad. Hopefully we'll get some rain soon!

Replies

• Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    We have been really lucky here in Wichita Falls, but my heart goes out to my fellow Texans affected all over the state. I always watch those tropical storms with a lot of interest - can't they come just a little further north??

Take care everyone, and keep hoping for the rain!
  • we had three fires in our county(Brown) yesterday, but thankfully they were all out by last night. it is so awful! have many friends that live by the big Bastrop fire. Lord we ask you to please bless us with rain! we need you!!!!!!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I haven't been personally affected, but they're coming very close to home. There was one just down the street from work. And another on the drive home yesterday. Luckily I didn't take that route because I had an errand to run. I live on 3 (really dry!) acres and it's pretty scary knowing it could go so fast.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    We do? i didn't even know. I haven't seen any smoke. I live off 610 and I-10 near Memorial Park.
  • im in dfw but as i look out my window on the 57th floor in downtown dallas facing the west you can see the smoke. its no bueno. prayers for my fellow texans.
  • Yeah, I've seen it too. Not looking good, we need to do a rain dance of something.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I smelled the smoke driving to work this morning. I live and work in the Westchase District. My husband said he smelled it on his drive to work, too, mainly in the downtown area. He said it looked like fog the smoke was so heavy.
  • I could smell the smoke in Katy this morning. My wife is a teacher in Katy ISD and she said all outdoor activities have been canceled for the day because of the smoke. she said the whole High school smells like smoke too.
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Its so sad!! I live 30 miles north of dallas and we don't have any fires close to us. I pray for everyone in the state that is going through the mess. :frown:
  • We still got a major one burning in Palo pinto County. They have it about 85% contained. Several homes lost. The only good thing about this fire is it is in the same location that we had one last month. So most of the damage was already done. We had a few little ones spark up but they were extinguished pretty early. Oh and they caught a kid here that was going around starting fires. Dumb little F*&#! Set four or five little fires. Didnt he know how dangerous this is especially right now. How about Bastrop county any one from there with any news?
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    I have distant family that has lost their home, and friends that being evacuated. Air quality is horrible. I'm in Humble (near IAH) and my head is killing me, with a bit of a sore throat. So yeah it's getting bad out there. Hope the firefighters can get some relief soon in the ways of rain or more help.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I'm on the NW side (Cypress area) the smoke can be seen in the sky and I could smell it earlier. Either the winds have shifted or I have gotten used to it. I have the windows all opened...so who knows.
  • Northwest Houston here and the smoke is bad and the fires are close!! This is seriously scary!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    We didn't smell any smoke by our house (Pearland/Clear Lake area), but when we go to work this morning, we could really smell it at the school (Gessner and Bellaire). I've seen some really scary pictures today. Keeping everyone affected in prayer.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    I'm about 45 miles north of the huge fire in Bastrop. :( Yesterday the winds shifted from the South and blew up my way. It was horrible. There was a smoky haze everywhere and it smelled like burning mesquite and trash.

Praying hard that they allow the big DC-10 to finally load up and put these horrible fires out over here. Almost 1400 homes have been destroyed in Bastrop alone. Doesn't include the other 4 fires that were going on around Austin. So depressing. We need rain so bad, it feels weird praying for a big hurricane to hit the coast.
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Wow, this is really something. Everyone will be in my prayers!!
  • patty9013
    patty9013 Posts: 230 Member
    I just read that 1356 homes have been destroyed I believe it said Bastrop(not sure) But all I could think was these poor people have lost everything. God be with them.
    President,.....Governot.......please let's help our own for once!!

Prayers are with those affected.
  • Sjennings13
    Sjennings13 Posts: 21 Member
    We had around 7 fires at once here in my town on Sunday, thankfully all were eventually contained and mostly just land lost. I think 9 buildings that were business burned down. We have been getting the smoke from other fires here everyday, you can still smell the burning.. Thoughts and prayers are with all of those who have lost so much already..
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    I cut my exercise short today because of the large amt of smoke, esp from a bad fire yesterday,
    just 15 miles north of downtown San Antonio , the S A Express reported

a huge 120 acre fire almost took hundreds of home out yesterday evening in the hill country , north of San Antonio, in a upscale area of the hill country

Multi million dollar homes owned by David Robinson the former Spurs player, George Strait, country and western singer, one home owned by the Dixe Chics, and movie star Tommy Lee Jones ranch were all in the way of this fir, as well as horses and live stock on private ranches. ..........

this has to be the worst in history for wildfires, comparing to those in California......

Bastrop Texas lost almost 1, 000 homes and most of the Maple Forest due to more fires and sadly, its getting worse.....Texas has lost close to 3.5 million acres so far, and now its getting worse
  • I'm from San Antonio and now fires are popping up around us. Driving today I saw another one. This is horrible. Prayers for everyone affected by it and prayers for rain