Should I even continue?

Options
2»

Replies

• coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE WORTH IT! Write down your top 5 (real) reasons for wanting to lose weight. What got you started in the first place? Post these reasons ALL OVER THE HOUSE so you can see them every day. Look at your children, your husband, your family, etc. and decide that not only for you, you need to get healthy and lose weight to be around for them. They love you!

Excellent advice! She is right…you are worth it and you can do this!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy

Everyone fails once in a while, but being a true failure is when you give up entirely.

Nobody's perfect. Not one person on here is, otherwise they wouldn't be here in the first place.

Give yourself a break and love yourself enough to keep on going.

Your ticker says you've lost 7 lbs! That's no small feat!

Every day you learn something more, something new, in order to make your life healthier.

Food is boring and bland? Find new recipes that have flavorful herbs and spices! Healthy food doesn't have to taste like crap!

Exercise is boring or tough? Look for other types of exercise out there that might suit you better!

Scale is stuck? Chat with a few of us who have been there!

Can't fight the cravings? Chat with those of us who have been there and have an idea or two how to overcome!

Don't give up! Living healthy isn't about deprivation, punishment, or starving. It's finding new ways to feed your body, allowing yourself a treat or a slip-up once in a while and not beating yourself up over ONE tiny failure!

You CAN do it!

In the last 40 days, I've screwed up on my calories about 10 days. Know what? It's down from 5 YEARS of screwing up. In the next 40 days, maybe I'll only screw up 8 days, but it's PROGRESS.

Achieve progress and not perfection and you'll be much happier for it.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, in fact even if there are those here who don't/won't admit it, most people have had that thought at one time or another... but the difference is what you do with that thought. Do you act on it, or do you push it out of your mind and do the work to get to where you need to be. I have made the decision to go forward. If you want support, you can add me as a friend and we can help each other through the hard days. Also, I think it has helped me to work on my depression. I am not saying that you are depressed, but I kinda wonder with the post. Please don't take offence, I just want to offer up something constructive. Good luck, and I hope you find the strenght to keep moving in the right direction.
  • DanaM810
    DanaM810 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been in your spot before but you have to continue. You have to get to a place where it's fun for you & you're excited about your changes. I constantly picture myself at my goal weight and that helps so much because you start to feel like that person. Not sure if you have a gym membership, but go to a gym that has classes. The classes at LA Fitness, I honestly believe, saved my life from being overweight forever. It was what really showed me that I could lose weight because it made me want to workout everyday. I had to step out of my box & keep going to step class until I learned all the moves...now it's my favorite cardio. I had to really force myself to try spinning, and then try it again after it was hard the first time, and now I love it. I made it my point to find nature trails that I could go walking and enjoy myself. And I really had to keep experimenting to find healthy things that I loved to eat. Something to remember is sometimes, you might just really need taco bell or something. And you can still have those things. A crunchy taco supreme is only 200 calories. A McDonalds cheeseburger is do-able. Anything you want, you can have. Maybe only half of a serving, but you can have it. But try to only consume the things that you are certain of when it comes to calories...that way you feel in control. Good luck!!!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is more than just looking hot and wearing cute clothes. It's about being active and fully present for your kids and husband, it's about sticking around for a long time, it's about setting a good example for your children to follow, it's about feeling good and having energy to live. If you choose to go the other way and just eat yourself to death, think about what that really means. Think about what your real options are (hint: you only have two, and one of them is no good), and try not to wallow in defeated thoughts like "should i go on?" They're not productive and they only make it take that much longer to get this weight off. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is the speech I give myself every time I start feeling sorry for myself. All the self-pity in the world isn't going to take those pounds off. Nobody put the food in your mouth, so nobody else can fix the problem but you. Simple as that.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    It seems to me you do want to continue otherwise you would have just left without posting in a forum. A lifestyle change is not always going to be easy. There are going to be rough patches but you have to work through them in order to succeed. I have friends on my list who have lost over 200 pounds and I couldn`t be more proud of them! They are a true inspiration and they got their results by sticking with it. If extra support is what you need to help you through this journey, there are alot of people on here who are willing to encourage you but the real work has to come from your own desire and determination to make the change. Feel free to send me a request. I am always willing to help someone who needs a little push :)

Wishing you success and happiness....

this...and for those who are being turds to her, she's reaching out for help...thats what we're SUPPOSED to be here for. so punch yourselves in the faces for being asshats...
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It seems to me you do want to continue otherwise you would have just left without posting in a forum. A lifestyle change is not always going to be easy. There are going to be rough patches but you have to work through them in order to succeed. I have friends on my list who have lost over 200 pounds and I couldn`t be more proud of them! They are a true inspiration and they got their results by sticking with it. If extra support is what you need to help you through this journey, there are alot of people on here who are willing to encourage you but the real work has to come from your own desire and determination to make the change. Feel free to send me a request. I am always willing to help someone who needs a little push :)

this...and for those who are being turds to her, she's reaching out for help...thats what we're SUPPOSED to be here for. so punch yourselves in the faces for being asshats...
    ^^^^ agree with both of these responses!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hey we're having the same day/month! Of course we should continue. We feel better, we look better, we eat better. The scale is just stupid, and we need to not use it to measure whether being healthy is worth it. Shall we give it another month?

I agree with everything said above:happy: including the "too late comment" :ohwell: You need to hang in there, and the scale is STUPID I am ready to put mine in the driveway and run it over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please take this as incouragement!!!!!!!!!! I have been on track for 7 weeks :wink: Exercising 5-6 times a week .step class, weight lifting, just started spin and joined a running 101 group! I have maybe lost 3 pounds:grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: I have lost 4 inches :bigsmile: But I don't feel like my pay off is what it should be for all the work I have put in.

On a POSITIVE note - It is a life style change...I have a glass of wine here and there:drinker: but count it or work out harder. My body feels GOOD...stronger... I know I will make it!!!!

This site has helped me so much. So I challenge you to stay in touch on MFP, focus on as much exercise as you can to relief stress and make you feel good. And take it one MEAL at a time. Don't forget to Plan ahead and drink your water..

Good Luck - you can do it :glasses:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Yes to both of these... and "cm2two", you are the best!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Hi . . . hon. . . this is not about perfection. . . We have ups and downs. . . . It is about how we handle those times. . . Now. . . whether you feel it or not. .. Do something for me. .

Find 5 positive phrases that you can say to your self. . . FINISH strong. . . I DO have it in me!!!. . .

Today is a new day. . . or this is a new moment. . and I AM going to do something healthy for myself.

Things like that. . .Don't look at this as a huge mountain. . look at it one pebble at a time. . or rock. . . If you do something healthy for yourself say yes. . .I ate something better, or I walked for 10 mins that's great.

Positive self talk. . I will fit into that size ____! And even though you are not there yet. . you are putting these things into your conscience. . . The more positive thoughts and energy you shove in there. . the more negativity will leave. . .

I have a list of my favorite quotes on my profile. . . a picture of myself when I was boxing before. . .These things motivate me. . but if I have a bad day. . . it happens. . .

So. . .hope this helps. . . forget yesterday. . and the moments before this cry for help. . . Decide now. . what you can do today on a good note. .

Pretty soon if you continue to build these moments. . the good will outweigh the bad. . Don't allow negativity to live in your mind. . . you DESERVE better than that.:bigsmile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Amen my dear friend. .. Everybody needs to speak with kindness when helping someone. . Negativity breads negativity. . . Think about the times when you were feeling down and what helped you. . :smile:
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've been in your spot before but you have to continue. You have to get to a place where it's fun for you & you're excited about your changes. I constantly picture myself at my goal weight and that helps so much because you start to feel like that person. Not sure if you have a gym membership, but go to a gym that has classes. The classes at LA Fitness, I honestly believe, saved my life from being overweight forever. It was what really showed me that I could lose weight because it made me want to workout everyday. I had to step out of my box & keep going to step class until I learned all the moves...now it's my favorite cardio. I had to really force myself to try spinning, and then try it again after it was hard the first time, and now I love it. I made it my point to find nature trails that I could go walking and enjoy myself. And I really had to keep experimenting to find healthy things that I loved to eat. Something to remember is sometimes, you might just really need taco bell or something. And you can still have those things. A crunchy taco supreme is only 200 calories. A McDonalds cheeseburger is do-able. Anything you want, you can have. Maybe only half of a serving, but you can have it. But try to only consume the things that you are certain of when it comes to calories...that way you feel in control. Good luck!!!

AWESOME - Dana - I totally agree..... I too go to LA Fitness and I love it!!! It took me about 15 step classes to get it! (not sure I have it totally now after about 25 classes...but who cares you are moving youtr body) Ijust went to my 2nd spin class and I was so scared to go to the first but felt great after I did! Love Zumba so fun. It's great to have variety in your work out!!!!!
  • mdfeller
    Options
    I think we all get down and out on ourselves every so often. You're not the only one, or one of the only 100. Neither am I. For me to find more motivation, I love to log in and see my friends posts and their accomplishments. I love to check out before & after pics. Not just of other people, but of pics of myself too. From before, to the best shape I've been in since having kids. I also have a bff who we're pretty much the same body type (short & petite) but she's 10 pounds lighter and 4 sizes smaller. She will occasionally send me pics or lets me know that ## size doesn't fit anymore, and I get bitten by that bug again and step it up. It helps to have a workout/diet buddy. I started getting up at 6am to go to a bootcamp before my husband gets out of bed, cause I am tired of staying at the same size/weight. I hate getting up so early (I am a SAHM). Anyway, just stick with it, find something that will help motivate you, set your goals, and don't give up! Ever! You want to be healthy, you want to rock a skinny pair of jeans and stilettos, or whatever other goal you have. You want to feel good about yourself! Just keep your eye on the goal! (I also sent you a friend request)

And agree to the people posting agreeing the to the quote about the asshats. Shame on all you that want to put her down. They have a program about getting bullies out of the school. Keep it out of here too. Didn't your mama teach you, "If you ain't got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing!"
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    If your want to is broken you'll never do it. You have to want it. No one can say something magical that will make this work for you. Only you have that ability to make the choice either you want to or not. If you want to everyday will be a fight and struggle in the end the results will be well worth the effort. I've learned only from experience that this will not work until you are fully commited!
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the other posts, but I did go look at your profile. No diet or workout routine will work for you - EVER - unless you can get your emotional eating under control. I know what it's like because I've been there. I had lost all but 10 lbs of my weight when my father died, and I gained 50 lbs in 5 months after we lost him unexpectedly. The book "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" is a great book for people like us. It's NOT a diet book, but it WILL help you stop emotional eating so that you can lose the weight for good. Good luck. Don't quit. (((HUGS))))
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I guess I need encouragement and maybe a lot of it. I don't think it's even worth continuing. Maybe I should just go the other way and join the group that's trying to be the heaviest woman in the world. I just don't know if I can continue on...

Slow, steady and consistent with regard to both nutrition and exercise. If you are doing this, you will be successful at weight loss and becoming more healthy overall. If you are not, it's time to start.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    People who start a post with "I don't mean to be rude" usually do, in fact, mean to be rude.
  • paperpromisesx3
    Options
    People who start a post with "I don't mean to be rude" usually do, in fact, mean to be rude.

Other posts said the same point I was getting to, without starting it with that. The fact that you have to single out my reply just goes to show that you had nothing better to say.

Where is your advice?