What inspired/motivated you to lose weight?

Options
I just saw someone post on a previous message asking what inspired them to lose weight. I thought, wow what a great discussion topic! Most who post in this message board have had great success in losing weight and it's been great seeing all of those motivating pictures. So, successful people, what motivated/inspired you to lose the weight?

I'll go first, I think what flipped my switch was when I went to visit my sister about a month ago. She was even thinner than she was originally (she was what I considered healthy, average). Seeing her now, fit, flat tummy, etc. made me sit back and think, if she can get into what I consider perfect shape, why can't I!? She was using this website, the app version on here iPhone, and was logging her food intake. I'd previously been introduced to the app by my best friend several months ago but never really got familiar with it until now.

I'm the younger sister of the two of us and always struggled with my weight, always overweight, always several pant sizes larger, and never able to trade/share clothes with my bigger (smaller sized) sister. I thought, darn it, it's time I be happy with the way my body looks! I want to wear a TWO piece swimsuit for once in my life! So here I am, working out the kinks in my diet and more motivated than ever to lose the fat that's been lingering a little too long on me!

Replies

• IamEric
    Options
    My mom has always been overweight. A few months ago she was diagnosed with cancer and the doctor told her that she could have prevented it if she had taken care of herself. That snapped me into action. I have a wife five kids and there's no way I am going to leave them behind because of stupid lifestyle decisions I made.

(By the way, my mom had surgery and the cancer was removed.)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I got my motivation when my mother was diagnosed with cancer back in March. Just seeing what all she went through was enough for me to make some major changes in my life.
  • Kmarr32010
    Kmarr32010 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My motivation came when I went on my son's field trip at the end of last school year to the zoo. I had another mom take a picture of me and my son together. When I saw that picture I was like:noway: !!! It was a REAL eye opener for me. I was at 191 lbs and hating my body. I'm still not where I want to be but I am slowly making it to my goal weight. :smile:
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For me, it was being diagnosed with pre-hypertension and being put on medication. It's only a water pill, but heart disease runs in my family. That and hearing/reading about all the wonderful things that come with menopause - bone loss, muscle loss, increased belly fat, etc., etc. I'm not there yet, but when I do hit menopause, I'm going to be ready to kick some major *kitten*!!!
  • TexasLali
    Options
    The dreaded call from the doctor telling me my blood lab results included triglycerides in the 800 range.....A month later, my jaw is still on the floor with that one...And THAT my friend, was MY motivation!
  • Kmarr32010
    Kmarr32010 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My mom has always been overweight. A few months ago she was diagnosed with cancer and the doctor told her that she could have prevented it if she had taken care of herself. That snapped me into action. I have a wife five kids and there's no way I am going to leave them behind because of stupid lifestyle decisions I made.

(By the way, my mom had surgery and the cancer was removed.)

Very glad to hear your mother is on the way to recovery. I'm sure she, your wife, and your kids are very proud of you!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii...

Mine was getting back into shape after my little girl. I'm now a size 6 (133 pnds) but that's a lot for short person like me. My current profile pic is for "throwback thursdays" and it's my inspiration to be that size again. My husband also gained during my pregnancy, so we are both trying to get back in shape. We kind of help eachother when one is slacking so it helps a little. I want to feel pretty, and be healthy so I can play with my kids and not feel super tired after a few hours. :):smile:
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Finishing Ironman...at 2:30 in the morning after everyone had been home in bed for 2 hours. Going back next summer for my medal.
  • westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Seeing 19.8% Body fat percentage, not okay. It will be fixed.
  • AmyS79
    Options
    What Inspires me is - Im not happy with who I am and it refelects on how I live my life. I look back at wonderful fun times with my family and thinking if only that was not me. Im done just existing in life I wanna live it I wanna lay on the beach in a big hat and not worry about covering up head to toe. I want my kids to see Im happy and you can do anything you set your mind too. I wanna be that example for them. I wanna be with my husband and relaxed and feel good about my body in front of him. These things are all ME want I want not what anyone else wants.Im not settling on this being who I am because I have so much more...
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have sooo many things that I can mention but this stands out the most.

On July 8th I found my scale (which had been hidden purposely by me) and I stood on it. My scale literally had line (- - -) across it. I immediately panicked! I though I broke it!!!!

I went on the Walmart's website to search for a new scale. I wanted one that would collect data such as weight. BMI etc. My husband went and bought it and I weighed myself and I was 330.8lbs.

My son stepped on the old scale and it worked fine. For the first time in my life, I actually Tipped the scale because the maximum weight was 330lbs for my old scale.

On July 9th I started (NOT DIETING) but eating healthier and working out. Today is my 60th MFP Anniversary and I've lost 30lbs and I will continue to get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My family has a history of lung diseases and diabetes. Last August, my doctor told me that at 35, it was seriously time for me to consider changing my habits so that I didn't end up living in a bubble and injecting myself with insuline...

I started a new lifestyle right then and there. I've encountered a few bumps along the way, but I'm feeling so much better and I have so much more energy today that I couldn't think of going back to my old ways.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Seeing 19.8% Body fat percentage, not okay. It will be fixed.

I'd take that number any day! I'm up there in BMI! It'll change though :-)
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    I will be 30 this year. I feel like 50! I don't like what I saw in the mirror. Last year I was motivated to lose weight for a friends wedding, I lost 45lbs (from 225-180lbs) but in October stopped working out due to pain associated with ovarian cysts...yeah, I have PCOS! I gained back about 20lbs and here I am, trying to reach the ultimate goal of 140. I don't go shopping or really take care of my appearance because, well, I don't like what I see. I want to look/feel/dress my age and not be confused with someone mom....when the other person is almost the same age as me! I don't want to live the rest of my life just living, I actually want to enjoy it! Losing weight will also help with my PCOS and that is always a plus!! :happy:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I've always been inspired to lose weight but to do it behind that inspiration was the problem....But somehow this time around I wanted to be a lifestyle instead of a diet....and once I joined MFP and saw exactly what was in my foods and became educated on what I was eating that in it self inspired me...I want to not only look better but feel better and the Positivity it gives you I liked...I was my true inspiration..
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    My oldest daughter grad from high school ~ trying to find an outfit and looking at myself in the mirror thinking 'gross!!'

Family history of medical issues that stem (in part) from being over weight, or can be better controlled with maintaining a healthy weight

My mother is somewhere around 350lbs and REFUSES to do anything about it. She's eating herself into her grave slowly. I look just like her and at my age she was much much smaller than she is now. I THINK I'm a lil smaller than she was at this age, but not much. I WILL not be that big at her age.

My 89 yr old grandmother and grandfather still exercise every night ~ if they can then I damn sure can!

I dont want to see my children struggle with weight gain like I have. My oldest lost around 70lbs because of mono last yr (it killed her gallbladder, so not something I'd advise) but my youngest is still over weight. I want to teach them both by doing that it is possible to lose weight and keep it off.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hello, I love topics like these!

I had quite a few hurtful comments that were said to me. The funny thing is, that people are completely oblivious that they are stomping all over your number one insecurity when they make comments in reference to you being overweight.

Once My supervisor was explaining a story to me said "I mean she's even BIGGER than YOU!" I was speechless. I thought about to comments for months because I was so hurt. I am sure he didn't even think twice about what he had said.

Then, I was getting ready to X-Ray a patient that had a developmental delay and she says to me... " Are you pregnant?! I paused and said "nope!" with a nervous smile. She then said "Well yah look like it!"

I realized that comments like this only bothered me because I was unhappy and there was something I needed to make a change about. Also I needed to understand that nobody could make me feel better about myself but ME! I was my own problem and I am my own success.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Weight was never a problem for me before. I was able to eat what I wanted and not gain a pound. About 7-8 years ago, my weight started to slowly creep up. I noticed the difference but convinced myself that I would be able to bounce back. I went to the doctor 4 years ago and she told me i needed to lose 10lbs. I was like what????? Instead of losing 10 lbs, I gained 20 more. I was depressed and angry with myself that I allowed myself to lose control. I mean I didnt even know what a muffintop was until I got one. when I couldnt fit into my jeans, I rationalized it by saying the dryer must hv shrunk my pants (all of them, including my shirts lol)..... I was in complete denial for a while and then denial turned into disgust and then disgust turned into motivation. I hv now lost the 10 plus the 20 lbs I put on over the years and hv exceeded my weight loss goal by 4lbs. I owe it all to MFP and the wonderful MFPals I was able to acquire along the way.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hello, I love topics like these!

I had quite a few hurtful comments that were said to me. The funny thing is, that people are completely oblivious that they are stomping all over your number one insecurity when they make comments in reference to you being overweight.

Once My supervisor was explaining a story to me said "I mean she's even BIGGER than YOU!" I was speechless. I thought about to comments for months because I was so hurt. I am sure he didn't even think twice about what he had said.

Then, I was getting ready to X-Ray a patient that had a developmental delay and she says to me... " Are you pregnant?! I paused and said "nope!" with a nervous smile. She then said "Well yah look like it!"

I realized that comments like this only bothered me because I was unhappy and there was something I needed to make a change about. Also I needed to understand that nobody could make me feel better about myself but ME! I was my own problem and I am my own success.

I had a similar experience several times throughout my life but I don't think they were as bad as the "are you pregnant?" comment. I remember several times when I was younger (elementary age) being asked by either my tiny grandmother or my next door neighbor's mother (about the same age as my grandparents) how heavy I was and mentioned that I should lose weight. It's sad that even as young as elementary-age how aware I was that being considered fat was a bad thing. From that point on 'til finally at the beginning of college I avoided scales at all costs. I'd cry every time I'd have to go to the doctor in fear that I'd be told I was overweight, as if I didn't know and the doctor's main concern was how heavy I was not the fact that I was sick and coming in to get medicine.

The only comment that comes to mind that really pissed me off was when I started my first job at a retail store. An older woman came up to me and asked what size I wore because she said I looked about as big as her grand daughter and she wanted to buy her grand daughter some clothes. I was insulted by this thinking, ok lady, it's obvious you didn't go and ask anyone else what size they were because I'm the only "big one" around. Ugh!
  • jaseym6
    jaseym6 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    having my mom pass away a year ago.....plus i was always "BIG".....guy but not fit or healthy...even at 6'1 248lbs, people always told that i don't look it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!