ok FUSTRATED

Options
I have been doing 1500 calorie diet and then I have been also doing the Herbal life shakes.. and well I weighed in for my diet challenge and it says I gain 7 lbs... WTH! now I have been stepping up my cardio to at least 1000 calories burned per session.. HELP.. what the heck did I do.. plus side is i have noticed in my clothes.. and to top it off tomorrow is my Birthday.. not so happy... : (

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Are you including the shakes in your calorie count?

EDITED TO ADD: And are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1500 calorie diet and then I have been also doing the Herbal life shakes.. and well I weighed in for my diet challenge and it says I gain 7 lbs... WTH! now I have been stepping up my cardio to at least 1000 calories burned per session.. HELP.. what the heck did I do.. plus side is i have noticed in my clothes.. and to top it off tomorrow is my Birthday.. not so happy... : (

Are you saying your clothes are getting looser? That would indicate a loss of inches. You may be retaining water from something you're eating or from your upped workout sessions.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Could be from water retention...not eating all of your calories to include the exercise ones...but possibly 1500 seems kind of high? I know my calorie intake when i was around 180+ was around 1300...Also what kinds of foods are you eating?
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    are you taking aspirin? I gained 7lbs from water retention and found out aspirin was the cause. Lost it thank God.
  • lstd
    lstd Posts: 40
    Options
    I had one of those percentage tests done on me.. on how many calories I'm supposed to eat to maintain and then how many i am to lose.. and it calculated 1500.. I'm thinking I need to drop to 1200..

** I don't eat my calories back that I work out since I want to lose.. I was told... not to do.. I am taking a pain killer for some cyst problems.. but 7lbs of water .. that possible?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Seven pounds of water is definitely possible. It may or may not be your problem.

Don't assume you'll lose more slowly (or not at all) by eating exercise calories back. Everyone is different in that sense. On Weight Watchers, I actually found I lost faster when I ate the exercise points back than if I didn't. I think we all have a point where our bodies are most efficient and you just have to figure out what that is for you.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. It's not likely at ALL that you have gained 7 lbs. of fat. I'll be happy to help you reset your goals.

DEFINITELY eat back your exercise calories! This is HUGE. Your metabolism slows to a crawl without this.

What are your current and goal weights? And what is your height?
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had one of those percentage tests done on me.. on how many calories I'm supposed to eat to maintain and then how many i am to lose.. and it calculated 1500.. I'm thinking I need to drop to 1200..

** I don't eat my calories back that I work out since I want to lose.. I was told... not to do.. I am taking a pain killer for some cyst problems.. but 7lbs of water .. that possible?

You are eating 1500 and working off 1000 ... that gives you a net of 500 ... you are not eating enough.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Goggle the pain killer your taking and I will bet water retention is a side effect most are . NAISD are.
  • lstd
    lstd Posts: 40
    Options
    [/quote]

You are eating 1500 and working off 1000 ... that gives you a net of 500 ... you are not eating enough.
    [/quote]

how many calories should I be eating then? Im so confused..
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

[/quote]

how many calories should I be eating then? Im so confused..
    [/quote]

That really depends largely on a number of factors, including your current weight, your target weekly weight loss goal, how close you are to that goal, your level of activity, etc.. Basically right now, if you were to think of your body as a car, you would be expecting it to perform beautifully in a race ... without putting any gas in the tank.

There is no one right answer that will work for everyone... it's the most common problem on this board: what works for one will not necessarily work for another. And what some people insist works are changes that will show drastic results in a very short period of time, but are simply not long term sustainable ways to eat and exercise if you wish to stay healthy and continue losing. That being said, based on what I have seen on here, I think the majority of people will agree that most people (unless under the care of a physician) should really not go below a net of 1200 calories a day minimum. That is the lowest number of calories this program will drop you to no matter what you get the goals at ... for a reason.

The above being said, my personal recommendation would be to look into talking with a certified nutritionist and having a nutrition plan put together for your specific body and goals that works in conjunction with the intensity and type of workouts you are doing. If you are doing cardio vs. strength training ... or doing both. That information alone can dramatically affect when, what, how much, etc you should be eating in order to see results and remain healthy at the same time. :)

Edited to fix a typo :)