Can you exercise to make up for yesterday?

Options
If i overate last night, and i work out today...can i in effect cancel out those extra calories from last night? and eat as though i didnt work out at all today?

or will my body think i'm starving?

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It takes more than one day to put you in starvation mode... I'd go for it if you're feeling guilty! Just leave that extra deficit and you will be back on track. That said, depending on how over you are, it may not really matter... 200-300 calories isn't going to add on a pound or anything, and if it's over 500, you may want to split that up over a couple days so you're not too hungry today.

Just my $.02
  • takm0527
    Options
    bump...SO want to know people's thoughts about this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    good points!!! its only about 200 over, so ill try to not eat that back today from the run i went on this morning.thank you for the feedback!
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    I personally believe that the overall week is a better indicator than day by day, but it's just easier to keep track of daily deficits or overages. So, yes, I think you can make up for extra calories today (or tomorrow or the next day) from yesterday. As long as you do well for the week, then I think you are okay.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd say that since the app has a button to show net calories over the week and talks about a weekly goal, why not use it to work off extra calories from the day before?:bigsmile:
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that the overall week is a better indicator than day by day, but it's just easier to keep track of daily deficits or overages. So, yes, I think you can make up for extra calories today (or tomorrow or the next day) from yesterday. As long as you do well for the week, then I think you are okay.
    Agreed. I'd spread it out over the rest of the week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I total my calories for the week, so some days are higher and some lower. Same with my workouts. I burn way more calories doing legs than when I do arms.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If I eat poorly on a particular day (happens more then I like), I don't try to make up for it the next day but rather I try to get back to healthy eating and exercising. I am not sure if trying to make up for it helps or hurts but I feel trying to get into a good healthy routine is the most important long-term goal for success and I believe that by trying to make up for it I would be out of my healthy routine 2 days in a row versus just one day.
  • kyleskrinak
    kyleskrinak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    <rant>
    Maybe yes, but maybe not. We're all physiologically different; which is the great thing about keeping a journal. Become your own expert on your own body and note what happens in regards to this question or others. Be conservative and take time to understand what you measure (food, weight, measurements, emotions, etc) how it all shifts and how they all work together. It's mind-boggling when you consider how much qualified information we can easily keep track of by ourselves, thanks to modern technology and how it all comes together for a meaningful overview. Be open to what science discovers but don't become a slave to the manner in which it's reported (Not saying you are, but many are.)

Hope you have a smashing success!
    </rant>
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

This is definitely the best way to see your weightloss. The 24 hour thing is pretty arbitrary. That said, please be careful not to use exercise to kind of 'punish' yourself for eating.... (I'm not saying you are doing this.)
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said "No." Sorry. Just hit it hard today and make it a great cal deficit.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am eating healthy now to make up for a lifetime of excesses. It will take me months, but I will get there.

So yeah, of course you can exercise now to make up for yesterday or the day before that or the day before that, etc.

Focus on the details, but keep your mind on the big picture.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I always use a week, Monday to Monday. So if I go under during the week, I can go over at the weekend providing I don't exceed my deficits for the 'good' days if that makes sense. You've got to live haven't you ;-)