Help with losing inches in Midsection!

Options
Hi there,
I am 5'5.5 and 126-127 pounds. I have skinny upper body but need to lose inches off my love handles, hip and thighs. Please help,
3 months ago, I was 134 pounds, and I lost 7-8 pounds by exercising 4 days a week and watching what I eat, but don't see more than 0.5 inches lost in my midsection.
How can I focus more on losing inches from lower body ? I am not a runner, and can run hardly 15 minutes on trademil, on few odd days I can run 20 or more minutes :). I have heard walking on Incline and Elliptical can help for lower body.
Does anyone know what should I do to lose inches than weight? And how can I focus on midsection?
How many squats and lunges should I do? How many times a week and what cardio I should do? What are best excercise to lose love handles? I know you can't spot reduce, but then how can I stop losing form upper body ? :( Coz my body tend to lose weight from upper body first, where I don't need to, n love handles, hip and things needs at least 3-4 inches of fat loss..plz help and advise on how can I make my body symmetrical .I wear XS tops and size 6 pants, so it's really off, I would want it to be at least size 4 to have more symmetrical look.

Many thanks in advance,
ASH.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    sorry, you can't spot reduce, continue to maintain a caloric deficit and eventually you'll lose the tummy fat.
  • janwitty
    janwitty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, but have found that doing Zumba is a great cardio workout that's fun and effective for the midsection.
  • 1FineFaye84
    1FineFaye84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try working on toning. Strength excercises that work your back, abs, and thighs. Leg lifts, crunches, rowing.. Do you have a gym you can go to? Purchase a resistance band from Target or Walmart and attach it to the door to get extra burn.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the tummy is frequently the last place you lose it... Keep going and it will all work out.
  • looseit_ash
    looseit_ash Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try working on toning. Strength excercises that work your back, abs, and thighs. Leg lifts, crunches, rowing.. Do you have a gym you can go to? Purchase a resistance band from Target or Walmart and attach it to the door to get extra burn.
    Thanks for response, Yea I go to GYM for workout.
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ditto for Zumba and sticking with your plan! Zumba, P90X or Insanity videos, watching my sugar intake, and drinking lots of water helped me with my abs.
  • mummysunshine
    Options
    I have the same issue! To echo what the others have said, just keep going and eventually it will reduce. Try hula hooping maybe? I really do know how you feel but it's got to go eventually if we keep at it...good luck x
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like the 6-week six pack from Jillian Michaels. It's not about spot reducing, it's a good overall body workout that will help you burn the fat that's covering your body and and help build strong core muscles. In the DVD she recommends working out 5 days per week, but doesn't specify you have to do THAT video, so I only do the DVD about once per week and focus on strength and cardio other days. I have noticed a difference when I measure my abs since I started doing the DVD, but that could just be the area my body was inclined to lose fat from first. I really like that she doesn't have you on the floor the whole time doing a million crunches and the whole body workout I get from all the different plank moves.
  • Try working on toning. Strength excercises that work your back, abs, and thighs. Leg lifts, crunches, rowing.. Do you have a gym you can go to? Purchase a resistance band from Target or Walmart and attach it to the door to get extra burn.

Absolutely. Bearing in mind that you can't slim one particular area, but will lose a layer off everywhere, you'll probably find that you need a combination of toning and slimming. Making sure you eat less than you burn, and cardio will help shift the weight, but for dramatic results you need to tone as well. The most effective way I found was doing a thing called callanetics (no special classes, you just need to buy the book) which is essentially micro exercises but will quickly start getting you results in a few days. One of the best things I ever discovered