Protein powder recommendations

2»

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Shakeology has 18 grams of whey protein. It's a protein shake PLUS SOME.

It can be a meal replacement or an after workout shake. People use it to fit their needs.

If you are a female and you are doing serious weight lifting/cross training, you shouldn't be going over 30 grams of protein at a time. Your body can't take in anymore than that at a time. if you are doing cardio or not as serious, you should be consuming less. (my personal trainer told me that when he found out I was taking GNC Wheybolic 60! 60 grams in a serving and I was wondering why I was gaining so much weight lol)

oh and if you mix with skim milk, you add another 9 grams of protein = 27 grams of protein

I am not debating the awesomeness that shakeology is. I sometimes use it as my protein/dinner after my workouts. It's a great drink that I always highly recommend to people. I am just saying it's not strictly a protein shake.

Agreed. In most instances people are looking solely for a protein supplement. They don't have issues with obtaining the other nutrition they need during the day from whole foods. In fact, I'd opt for whole foods over liquid supplements when possible.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    i use the optimum nutrition pro complex natural. tastes decent in water but better in milk or almond milk (probably true for EVERYTHING).

Its a mixture of proteins since they digest differently but its something I use to add more protein to my day rather than as a post workout supplement.

For post workout if you eat a good balanced meal (protein carbs fat) after that should be fine for most recovery.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I just use EAS because I could get 5lbs for $30 at Sam's. And because their office used to be across the road from my office.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    My top 3 favorite brands are:

Muscle Milk (banana cream, graham cracker, cookies and cream and vanilla cream are all yummy -- I actually like them with water OR milk)

Dymatize (sp?) is a good one.

Gaspari is the one we have right now - it is cookies and cream and is good with milk, but eh with water.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate is my choice. Usually mix it with water but is definitely erred mixed with milk (2% in my case)
This discussion has been closed.