Hungry--how to stay motivated?

Options
I am 24 with thyroid disease. I weigh 160lbs with a goal of 125lbs (considering my height and frame). I am so hungry and I only have 160 calories left and I haven't even had dinner. Help! How do I stay motivated, or better yet full?

Replies

• shesblossoming
    Options
    Could you open your food diary? When I first started, I ate a lot of foods that were very calorie dense and felt like I would never reach my goal, and I was always so hungry! But then I started finding foods that were filling, and I was able to stay under all the time. Exercising helps so much too. If I'm hungry, I know I'll always have a bunch of exercise calories.
  • kacia1976
    kacia1976 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    protein, fruits and veggies!
  • ooBrittoo
    Options
    what do you mean when you say "open" my food diary? I guess I am not sure on what specific foods will keep me full with the least consequence
  • MrsUnderwood
    Options
    work out to compensate for your dinner calories!
  • baileylm
    baileylm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "They" say that the better you eat early in the day, the less hungry you will be later on. I've found that to be true. Eat a good, healthy, filling breakfast every day. I also eat 4 meals a day -- breakfast, lunch, a light "dinner" at 4:00 and then another light "dinner" around 7:00. I go running between dinners. Make sure you're drinking all of your water as well. Sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst -- and water is filling and can take the edge off until your next meal.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Exercise will give you more calories.

I have thyroid condition as well and will be on meds for the rest of my life for it. It used to be my crutch for not doing anything about how much weight I gaines, but I discouved just that, and have thrown out the crutch and decdided to focus on me. It is absolutely possible to loose weight and be healthy with a thyroid condition.

Motivation is a mental game, for me anyway. Yes protien will help you stay fuller and a bigger breakfast packed with it will help you throughout the day. If you go over, excercise to get more calories to eat. Its a learning curve and somedays you just might be over.

Good Luck!
  • 4me2day
    4me2day Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One thing I do when I eat too much early in the day is go for a walk and also cut up and arrange carrots,cukes,cauliflower, Red peppers on a nice plate. I spoon out my favorite Hummus 2 tbs (so I don't just dip in the container) and have "dinner". it's amazing how full you get. Drinking warm water with it helps too.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I encountered the same one day when I didn't have the option for exercise to increase my calorie allowance. I made a whole dinner of non-starchy veggies that was filling and delicious and I came in under my calories.
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've found out personally that it's good to drink plenty of water with each meal to avoid the hunger pains. Have a snack? Drink a couple cups of water. Lunch? A couple more.

Also, find foods to eat that are naturally high in protein (Nuts are my favorite). They may be "higher" in calories, but the protein will keep you fuller longer. Most natural fruits and veggies are lower in calories than the processed crap that people put in their bodies nowadays (:embarassed: guilty as charged, but working on it)

A couple good rules of thumb: If it has more than 5 ingredients in it, avoid it. If you can't pronounce what's in it, avoid it as well.

If all else fails: More excercise=more calories!

Hopefully this helps you stay under your calorie goals. Good luck!