Maintaining vs. Losing the Lbs?

Options
hey everyone.. happy new year!! okay so i've been on here and at it for about 2 weeks now. and i've been quite proud at how determined and consistent i've been, yet i still have to work on my patients. which brings me to this post... so i've been sticking to a 1200 cal diet, i've been going to sleep early, i've gone to the gym everyday but two, i'm taking my vitamins. i'm doing all the right things. so, why have i only lost like 2 pounds? i had gone down to 5 at one point, and then it kept going up from there. i'm not sure why. i haven't done anything different, but apparently i'm only only doing enough to maintain my weight, not lose it. i don't understand though. because i've really been working hard, my hardest i feel, in fact. so, what more can i do to shed the lbs?? please help!

Replies

• lemondropdreams
    Options
    hey everyone.. happy new year!! okay so i've been on here and at it for about 2 weeks now. and i've been quite proud at how determined and consistent i've been, yet i still have to work on my patients. which brings me to this post... so i've been sticking to a 1200 cal diet, i've been going to sleep early, i've gone to the gym everyday but two, i'm taking my vitamins. i'm doing all the right things. so, why have i only lost like 2 pounds? i had gone down to 5 at one point, and then it kept going up from there. i'm not sure why. i haven't done anything different, but apparently i'm only only doing enough to maintain my weight, not lose it. i don't understand though. because i've really been working hard, my hardest i feel, in fact. so, what more can i do to shed the lbs?? please help!
  • patsyken123
    patsyken123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    3 years ago I lost 123 lbs and was able to maintain for about 2 months then the weight slowly crept back on and now 3 years later I am having to lose around 40 lbs I decided at the 200 mark I had to to something because I did not want to weigh 300 lbs again. In the 3 years it took me to lose my weight I would go through months at a time where I would maintain I was eating my calories working out 2 hrs daily but my body would not lose the weight. I had to hang on though then somethng would kick in and my body would begin losing again. Now I will tell you one day a week I would eat one meal I really wanted (double cheeseburger and fry or maybe taco bell) this helped me to stay on track the rest of the week. Now that I am trying to relose the weight I once lost I can't seem to get away with that .Just remember to hang with it will be well worth it in the end. And make sure you are changing up your food some. You sometimes
    need to trick your body. Or do a different kind of excerise at a different time of the day.

keep up the good work!!!!!:smile:
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    Hoe much are you working out? I know they 60 min per day to lose and 30 to maintain. I don't know what if your body thinks it's in starvation mode? I've read a lot about that. I don't know I sometimes eat an extra 100 cals I don't get it either I feel like I hit a wall. I haven't lost much I just lost 1 lb this week. It could also be the good Old Chicago I ate I didn't gain weight but I didn't lose just give your self a week if you ever watch the biggest loser you here them talk about hitting the pleatu. How ever it's spelled?
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 cals and exercising on top, or intaking a net of 1200? If it's the former, then your body has probably gone into starvation mode and you actually need to eat more! Weird as it may sound, this has happened to me before, I lost 56 lbs about 5 years ago and when I was doing that it did this to me a few times! :sad:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I tend to be in agreement with the others that 1200 cal is not enough if you are working out daily. Is the 1200 with or without exercise calories?

And two weeks is a short amount of time when you start to think long term weight loss. I know for you're wanting to see results and you will. You just have to keep working towards your goal. You'll get there.