Maple Syrup

Options
I've seen some pure maple syrup in the health foods area of my grocery store. None of them have the nutritional information on them. This probably sounds like a dumb question but, how much sugar is in it? Is it 100% sugar OR is it no sugar (even though it's sweet) because it only has the one ingredient and comes from a tree?

Replies

• tuxedo702
    Options
    I've seen some pure maple syrup in the health foods area of my grocery store. None of them have the nutritional information on them. This probably sounds like a dumb question but, how much sugar is in it? Is it 100% sugar OR is it no sugar (even though it's sweet) because it only has the one ingredient and comes from a tree?
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    Ok I have some with a label 100% real maple syrup Serving 1/4 cup
    210 cals/serving
    sodium 5mg
    carbs 53g
    sugar 50g
    calcium4%
    iron6%
    the rest of it is all 0's hope that helps
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    pick up the sugar free syrups......pretty tasty and only 35 calories....better than over 200
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there, heres the info for maple sirop, ive added it to the database

per tbsp
    Calories 52.2
    Total Fat 0.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 1.8 mg
    Potassium 40.8 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
    Sugars 11.9 g
    Protein 0.0 g

maple sirop should be seen as pure sugar,,, like honey should,, but its better to use it because it has extra nutriments that white sugar doesnt have...
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    OMG! 50 mg sugar! Glad I asked. Yes, the sugar-free at 35 calories sounds like a better choice. Expect I suspect it has aspertame or some other sweetener. Probably the best choice is to stay away from it altogether! :smile:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo, always eat the real thing! It's much better for you. Just don't use a lot. Never eat anything artificial. It's poison to the body. That's just my take on things. :laugh:

But really, the nutrition label of any food only tells part of the story, so you can't depend on that alone. Maple syrup, for example, is a good source of both manganese and zinc. It has a higher concentration of nutrients per serving than honey, and of course sugar and any of it's artificial substitutes. You need to feed your body, not starve it, which is what you are doing if you eat empty calories. It's not just about calories, it's about nutrients, too.

Go here for more details -- The World's Healthiest Foods website:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=115
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo, always eat the real thing! It's much better for you. Just don't use a lot. Never eat anything artificial. It's poison to the body. That's just my take on things. :laugh:

But really, the nutrition label of any food only tells part of the story, so you can't depend on that alone. Maple syrup, for example, is a good source of both manganese and zinc. It has a higher concentration of nutrients per serving than honey, and of course sugar and any of it's artificial substitutes. You need to feed your body, not starve it, which is what you are doing if you eat empty calories. It's not just about calories, it's about nutrients, too.

Go here for more details -- The World's Healthiest Foods website:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=115

I also find that by eating the real thing I can use less and get good flavor. And that goes for more than just maple syrup!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    OMG! 50 mg sugar! Glad I asked. Yes, the sugar-free at 35 calories sounds like a better choice. Expect I suspect it has aspertame or some other sweetener. Probably the best choice is to stay away from it altogether! :smile:

I ususally eat "real things" but since I really don't eat many things that would need syrup on them, I for the low calorie stuff....