Walking = Exercise?

Options
Ok, I feel I definitely need to preface this a little bit. I understannd 100% that for many people, especially in the beginning, or for someone who is obese, walking is a great exercise and extremely productive! Walking is an excellent way to get up and start moving.

My question is specifically for people who are in decent shape. For someone who can run several miles at a time, does 5k's, half-marathons and such, do you think it is acurate to consider a 30/60 minute walk exercise? Or, is it that peson just having a lazy day and not wanting to "really" exercise and just having a leisurely stroll?

Trying to get objective opinions....

Replies

• cladou2
    cladou2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    walking is absolutely exercise!
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty good shape. Run, lift weights. I count walks if I do a decent length and at a very brisk pace. If I'm meaning to go out and break a sweat walking then I count it. If I'm just walking to the grocery store or something then I don't count it.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i say yes...i don't log when i walk from point a to point b on campus, but if i'm walking around downtown or something for an hour i'll log it since i'm not stopping...

if it's not in my routine, i log it--especially if it's over half an hour of walking. i walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes at an incline the other day and burned 150 calories...so yeah.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I run 2-5 miles 5x a week and I do count walking as exercise. I usually go for a walk on my "active rest days" but the pace is usually 4.5mph or so and I can def work up a sweat!
  • SaundraU
    Options
    I'm in the military and 1 year all I did to get ready for a PT test was walk - now mind you my walks aren't always up the block and back - I varied the terrain, the type, etc and I did really well on the test with just a few practice run within a few weeks of the test.

Also one of the alternate events for the military instead of the 2 mile run is a 2.5 mile walk (depending on your age and sex determines the max time you get) trust me to pass you HAVE to be in great walking shape (you can't break into a run or you are disqualified).

Based on that I would say that no walking is a good choice.

I will caveat that to say it also determines on the pace they are setting.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Ok, I fall into the latter category now and there are days when I don't run that sometimes I just like to get out and enjoy a nice walk. A nice walk to me is something that does get my heart rate up, I can take in a little scenery, whatever. Those I count as exercise. Shopping all day at a mall I will count some of the time, not all, but a little (2 hours instead of 8) but I do not count my job or regular running errands and stuff. I did my job and my errands before I got fat, so I don't consider that exercise, plus I have my profile set to "lightly active' for those things. If it's a day I've been normally active but then take an hour long walk and get in 3.5 miles... yes, I count that!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the point you're making. Here is what I posted on a similar blog:

I only record calories burned doing cardio, strength training or aerobics. IDK but I feel like I'm cheating myself by recording calories burned for standing or walking around. I saw someone log walking at an amusement park 1,000 calories??? Not judging them, but I know that when I walked around Cedar Point, I stopped several times and ate while walking.

I'm interested in what other opinions are out there.....
  • Selly7749
    Options
    Better to go for a leisurely stroll then to not exercise at all, I think. If it gets your heart rate up, and it burns calories, it's exercise in my book :) xxx
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    LOL I just did the Susan G Komen 3-Day (a 60 mile walk) ad I wore my HRM because I was curious just how many calories I would burn --- Day 1, 3800 calories, Day 2 - 4200, Day 3 - 4100 ---- I'd say it was a pretty good workout :)

PS On normal days going for a brisk walk actually burns about 300 calories an hour for me... talking 3.5/mph or more.
  • ScottInTheOC
    ScottInTheOC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I don't fit into the "descent" shape category, but I think that any level of activity burns something. If you accumulate the amount of "normal movement" activity into one lump sum at the end of the day it could be a decent number.

It's personal preference if you want to count those "under 100 calorie burns" or not. I'll take every calorie I can get, but to be quite honest, I can probably leave it off and still hit my calorie goals without it.

<smile>
  • dbredenberg
    Options
    I say yes, because it does burn calories. Burning those calories and not recording it makes it harder to meet your calorie budget for the day, and anything that makes it hard to stick to the program is a bad thing. You encourage yourself to do more if you will get credit for it.

Even pro athletes know you have to have light days to promote recovery. Otherwise you're just going to tear down your muscles and leave yourself open to injury. It's better to walk or spin lightly on an exercise bike to promote recovery rather than to do nothing.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I would count it if got my heart rate up - which usually means a brisk walk, not a stroll.
  • Bre0223
    Options
    I have a fainting disorder so walking is about all I can do right now for excercie. So for some walking is excellent excercise. However, while walking is excercise for people who run and can run for miles and miles walking might not be "adequate" excercise for their bodies.

Also it depends on the walk. If you're walking down the street and back then no. But hiking and going along trails that have varying degrees of difficulty it's a great cardio workout for any type of athlete.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sure, it burns calories, doesn't it?
    But, whether you log it as exercise or not would depend on your activity level setting. I have mine set at lightly active, so I don't count short walks to the bus stop or to the pub or to the shop.
    But if I go for a walk for exercise and it is not in my regular routine I count it, add it and usually eat those calories. For example, most Fridays (not today as I'm not going to work today) I walk 4km to the train station instead of walking 200m to the bus stop. This is usually my low activity day before a long run on Saturday but I like to get moving anyway.
  • 1myfit
    Options
    Walking a distance is def excercise.
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    Walking is actually the best exercise, it is a normal motion and easier on the joints. If someone is walking 3-4 mph for an 30 minutes to an hour is a great calorie burn plus if you add hills even better.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm in decent shape and I can run a 5k, I count walking sometimes. I don't count walking around the mall or fair or to the mailbox. I do count when I walk to the park pushing the kids in a stroller and back (about 60 minutes total). I also don't count cleaning and other ordinary activites.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think it does our bodies good to mix it up, it gets used to the same thing and needs a jolt now and then. If you're walking at a good pace for 30 or 60 minutes, why not count it. :ohwell:
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think it's exercise.

When I wouldn't think it is exercise:
    - you walk 60 minutes on a daily basis, and it becomes your "normal" routine and no challenge. Like walking to/from a bus stop 5 days a week... I think your body gets used to this and it's no longer a workout This could be combated by upping the speed, carrying weights, going uphill, etc.
    - you walk at a leisurely stroll and stop frequently
    - your in a mall and actually shopping
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise and a stress reliever but it's not gonna knock the calories off and help you burn fat. That is unless you walk A LOT. I will go on 5-7 mile strenuous hikes in the mountains. Now that is some exercise. I walk 30 minutes a day and that calculates as about 800 calories burned a week so hell yeah!