Trying something new today

Options
Today I am going to really pay attention to my body and only eat when I am hungry. Most of my eating has nothing to do with hunger. I really need to break that cycle. So I had breakfast and I had lunch and I am full. So far I have eaten less than 600 calories and I am full. Funny how you notice fullness when you actually pay attention to it!

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Today I am going to really pay attention to my body and only eat when I am hungry. Most of my eating has nothing to do with hunger. I really need to break that cycle. So I had breakfast and I had lunch and I am full. So far I have eaten less than 600 calories and I am full. Funny how you notice fullness when you actually pay attention to it!
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know what you mean. I once heard somewhere (cant remember where but its stayed in my head) that alof of overweight people dont even know what it feels like to actually feel HUNGER. I think it may have been around the time that Oprah was doing her weight loss thing and she said something about how long it had been since she'd felt her stomach growl...I started paying attention to when my body tells me Im hungry and eating only then and it was amazing when I realized just how much eating I was doing out of boredom, thirst, emotional comfort eating, etc.
    Keep up the great work!:flowerforyou:
    ~Roni
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I am right there w/ you...I am an emotional eater...I am a social eater...and I eat out of boredom! Gotta turn that around! Keep up the good work:flowerforyou:
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I've also heard that in most Americans, the hunger trigger is so weak that they mistake thirst for hunger. I have personally found that when I am starving even after eating, it is usually because I haven't had enough water.
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with gottaluvboyz - I am a social eater and a bordem eater. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) my ex-husband was a chef and went to Culinary Arts School to be trained. For many years, I got spoiled with VERY yummy food and baked goods! I also learned a lot and now can cook pretty well. I LOVE to go out to eat. I LOVE desserts that are made well. Trying to break the habit . . .
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    My mother has always said this and followed her own advice...eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not hungry. Go figure, she has never had a weight problem either!:laugh:

109912.png
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's the way to do it.

However, I wouldn't recommend it for people who are eating too little--not anorexic, but still not eating enough to keep metabolism up. For many of them, they don't feel hunger because their metabolisms have slowed down.

But for everyone else, yeah, your body will tell you what it needs. You just have to listen! It's amazing how it can tell you exactly what it needs. Like, when I had a UTI and was on antibiotics, I was craving yogurt like crazy. It took some peeps here to make the connection--antibiotics kill all the bacteria in your system, even the good, immunity boosting ones. Yogurt is probiotic.