Low Calorie Blueberry Muffins

Options
These sugar-free muffins are a very filling and super tasty (and I mean, even in relation to regular muffins!). It makes 12 dense small/medium (they're fist-sized) muffins that are ~92 calories each. They are absolutely wonderful after being refrigerated over night and are great as an guilt-free on the go breakfast or snack.

Ingredients:
2 & 1/2 Cups of Quick Oats
1 Cup of blueberries
2 Egg whites
1 Teaspoon Baking powder
1 Mashed Banana
3 Tablespoons of Splenda, Stevia or no calorie sugar substitute (optional*)
~1/2 Cup of Water (I usually eyeball it, but the batter should be thicker than molasses or the muffins will be a bit soggy in the middle when finished baking)

Put the quick oats into a blender/food processor and blend until it develops a flour-like consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the blueberries and continue to mix. When the batter is done, stir in the blueberries with a spoon (I prefer to keep the blueberries whole as they give the muffins more volume) and then pour the mixture into a muffin tin with muffin liners. Bake at 355°F for 35 minutes and then allow the muffins cool for 20 minutes before eating.

Replies

• Teenamarie_36
    Options
    That sounds great! Will have to give it a try, thanks :)
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Omg! Thank you sooo much for this! I know what I'll be making next week :D

I may add a scoop or two of soy protein powder to it so I can have a quick breakfast Yum!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    did u add this to the recipe database? thanks for the muffin recipe, I'm just in the mood
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    These sugar-free, vegan muffins are a very filling and super tasty (and I mean, even in relation to regular muffins!). It makes 12 dense small/medium (they're fist-sized) muffins that are ~92 calories each. They are absolutely wonderful after being refrigerated over night and are great as an guilt-free on the go breakfast or snack.

Ingredients:
    1 Cup of blueberries
    2 Egg whites
    1 Teaspoon Baking powder
    1 Mashed Banana
    ~1/2 Cup of Water (I usually eyeball it, but the batter should be thicker than molasses or the muffins will be a bit soggy in the middle when finished baking)

Put the quick oats into a blender/food processor and blend until it develops a flour-like consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the blueberries and continue to mix. When the batter is done, stir in the blueberries with a spoon (I prefer to keep the blueberries whole as they give the muffins more volume) and then pour the mixture into a muffin tin with muffin liners. Bake at 355°F for 35 minutes and then allow the muffins cool for 20 minutes before eating.

Well, the egg whites make it not vegan, but I can just use Ener-G egg replacer instead
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    gonna make these right now to eat for breakfast. Then I will come back here and review them in the morning!

strike that, no bananas in the house until tomorrow night :sad:

Review to be posted Saturday morning.
  • wwaif
    Options
    These sugar-free, vegan muffins are a very filling and super tasty (and I mean, even in relation to regular muffins!). It makes 12 dense small/medium (they're fist-sized) muffins that are ~92 calories each. They are absolutely wonderful after being refrigerated over night and are great as an guilt-free on the go breakfast or snack.

Ingredients:
    1 Cup of blueberries
    2 Egg whites
    1 Teaspoon Baking powder
    1 Mashed Banana

Well, the egg whites make it not vegan, but I can just use Ener-G egg replacer instead

Oops, my mistake. It's an altered recipe from my vegan friend, so I had the word vegan in my head while writing this, haha. Sorry!
  • kabatoff
    Options
    Would these work with frozen blueberries... If so, would you use them frozen or thaw them first?

Thanks..
  • wwaif
    Options
    Would these work with frozen blueberries... If so, would you use them frozen or thaw them first?

Thanks..

I haven't tried frozen blueberries, but I'd imagine that they'd thaw in the oven while baking.
  • tjandjmkahrs
    tjandjmkahrs Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump! :love:
  • catwrangler
    Options
    Review:

These were good tasting and chewy. Make sure to cover them when you put them in the fridge. I didn't and the tops were too crunchy. Otherwise, 4 stars!

I just had 3 and some chai, now I'm ready for the gym! Thanks!

PS I used frozen berries.
  • catwrangler
    Options
    I entered this in the database as Mfp Recipe - Blueberry Muffins Made With Oats and Banana, but all I know is the calories.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • richellecc
    Options
    Thank you! I've been looking for a low cal muffin recipe; I have tones of blueberries to eat!
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trishoida
    Options
    bump
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this! YUM!
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    These sound super delicious! Although they probably aren't sugar-free if they have blueberries and banana in them. It's great that there's no added sugar though!