Newbie 'runner' - need advice from more experienced

Options
I am an avid walker, hundreds of miles under my belt this year. Once the big walk is done, I'd like to start training for a 5k and actually run the whole thing. Over the past few days I've started small, 30 seconds of running, 1 minute of walking -- but I've found I can't even run that much/that long, so I'm starting smaller with 15s run/45s walk for 30 minutes total.

I see people jogging slow and I find that I walk faster than they jog. I don't understand why the extra pound for that kind of slowness (< 4mph).

It feels awkward running when I'm so used to walking but I'd like to give i a go for better overall fitness.

Thoughts on when it will get easier? Any tips for being a better runner? Tips for not breathing w/ my mouth hanging open like a bass fish? lol

Thx!

Replies

• millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Just keep on truckin... stick with it... and it will eventually get easier. Couch to 5k is an excellent source for newbie runners.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm a penguin runner ("The Courage to Start" by John Bingham). I make the motions of running. I don't stop. My pace will never win a race. Ever.

But I am a runner.

Keep those legs moving.

EDIT: You're going to breath through your mouth. Why? You need the oxygen.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running as well. The C25K is amazing and it perfect for people who want to start running. Highly recommend it.
  • reggiestarkey
    reggiestarkey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agree with everything said so far. Runners come in all types of shapes and sizes. Try alternating between a running and walking day so that you don't get tired of it. Also get fitted for the right shoe - it makes a world of difference and you can use the same shoes for walking.
  • Gspice3
    Gspice3 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't stop! You can do it :)
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Last year I started just like you, running short distances and walking in between, and now in just a few weeks I'm going to run my first 1/2 marathon. I've run 6 10k's and my time keeps getting better. Like you, I wanted to run the whole thing, so when I trained for it instead of walking, I slowed down to a very slow run when I was tired, and then picked up the pace when I caught my breath. It may seem weird to run slower than you walk, but I find if I start walking it makes it harder to start running again.

Keep it up, it definitely gets easier, and it is totally rewarding!
  • marcyjane83
    Options
    I've actually had an easier time doing 1/2 mile jog and 1/2 mile walk. Interval training, all that starting and stopping is hard. Try jogging/ walking in longer increments. I'm sure if you walk as much as you do, you'll be able to jog 1/2 a mile!! Just go as slow as you need to without stopping. Then the next 1/2 mile you can still walk at a brisk pace but you'll be "recovering" for longer. I now run a lot and far (up to 15 miles) and that's what'd I try! you'll love it...it's so much less time consuming than walking ;)
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it- you definitely don't turn into a runner overnight. I say this week focus on running 15s then walking 45s and maybe next week if you feel comfortable try jogging for 30s straight. If you need more time to recover than take that time. Also, you might want to look into the Couch to 5K training program.

Tips that help me tremendously- have a GREAT pair of running shoes, otherwise your feet will get torn up. Also, have music to jog with, make it something upbeat (I tend to jog at the pace of the song). Keep water with you and if you start to not feel well then stop.

If you have any questions just message me, I would love to help :).
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I started in June and did my first 5K a couple weeks ago; ran the whole thing in under 31 minutes which was beyond my comprehension a few months ago. As you get used to it, keep it slow. Stick with run intervals for several weeks until it becomes more comfortable. Each week you can increase the time you run until you're just running. In my case it took about four weeks to get to the run only for 3 miles point, but I had also been cycling aggressively for a month prior to starting. Stick with it, though, and it WILL get easier. When I started, my goal was to simply not walk the 5K but I was able to progress to a pretty fast pace in eight weeks of training. Best of luck as you continue on the path to running!
  • marcyjane83
    Options
    The BEST thing you can do to avoid cramping and not be the huffy puffy runner is to train your self to breath. Try to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth as much as possible...but slowly. You won't be able to always breath in through you nose, but when you breath in through your mouth, do it slowly. =) I often run x amount of steps breathing in and x amount of steps breathing out...soon it's natural and you'll be able to run FAR and NEVER be huffing like crazy.