Surgery or Not?

Options
So I must ask being 200 pounds overweight and all: Is weight loss surgery right for me??

I’ve been an underweight girl almost all of my life. Remembering how just a few years ago, I only weighed 140 pounds! I know it’s rare for someone to have such a dramatic weight change in only a few years. I want my old body back! I want to be the real me again which is a healthy, athletic, very active me!

I’m not on here to whine and complain about the past few years, along with all the struggles I was going through to allow myself to get this heavy. As much as I would like, I can’t go back and changed my past to prevent this from happening. I’m only focusing on today, this minute, NOW!

I will be honest; becoming a severe obesity person has been very difficult for me to admit. I hate looking at myself in a full body mirror. I hate seeing pictures of myself. I can’t stand seeing myself looking like this so whenever I picture myself in my head, I would imagine the old skinny me. I don’t know if that makes sense but reality hurts because I feel so ugly.

It’s not all about looks anymore because I came to a point where my health is in jeopardy with my BMI on 50. My doctor told me that I’m on my road to diabetes if I don’t change like, right now!

So here I am! Giving and putting my all into this for a couple days now (I’m finishing up on Day 2). I’ve been praying for God to help me through this and I do believe in the power of prayer. And so far it has helped! I survived my temptations, I feel more energetic, I’m not as hungry, and I have the desire to only want healthy foods.

So here is my question: Is weight loss surgery right for me?

I understand how weight loss surgery is a very serious undertaking. I clearly understand the pros and cons with the procedures and how it has saved lives and helped many people. I feel that I can do this on my own, however, I failed the past couple years at this so how is this time any different?

I know I should keep my head up and keep doing what I’ve been doing the past couple days, but trust me when I say this isn’t easy! I know the diets, I know tricks, blah blah blah. But I’m very serious about this life changing risk. Help me my friends!

-Kristen :heart:

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted a nutritionist, a physician, etc? I would try, with their help, to try to lose weight naturally first before you consider surgery? That is what I would do if I were you, especially considering you were thin for the majority of your life.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of a lap-band or gastric bypass surgery?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You will get both sides on here, and I need to say this is by no means a judgement on people that has had the surgery....

I did not want surgery - I had seen friends that had it - I have seen them struggle with the effects, and I have actually seen two of them totally fail at keeping the weight off....

It can be done with changing your eating and activiy habits ( which you need to do either way) without resorting to surgery.....there are many success stories on here of people that has done this without surgery, diet pills or snake oil....

Surgery is not a magic bullet - it still needs all the changes - but you also need to deal with some restrictions because of the surgery....

Good luck to you either way...... It can be done - have a look through the success stories on here!
  • nikelle5036
    Options
    Well it sounds like you're very motivated which is half the battle!! Try just doing it the old fashioned way for a few months. If you have no success then maybe look into surgery. That's great you've been doing so good so far! I need to get motivated again, that's my biggest struggle!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I don't know your exact situation, but if you've only given this two days, you need to keep trying. I would think surgery would be a last resort!!! Seriously, portion control, calorie counting and good old fashioned exercise DOES work, but it's slow. It's the healthiest way to lose and when you learn to control portions and calories, it's more likely that you will keep the weight off.

Keep trying, but if I were you I'd give it at least six months before I'd even consider surgery. If after that long you've not lost much, then talk to the doctor. If you've lost over 40 pounds.... keep going!!!! You'll be glad you did!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Here are the facts...this is not a question you should be asking the internet, but you know that. You are conflicted and looking for direction.

Another fact - the vast majority of this website is pro eating right and working out, so most people will tell you to go that route. You are asking a biased audience.

In my opinion (which you do not need to listen to) start eating right and working out (which you will have to do before surgery anyway), talk with doctors, personal trainers, and therapists to make sure that you are physically and mentally ready to go through major surgery. After that, then you can make a qualified decision that works best for you.

Good luck with whatever you do choose!
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was once like you, I gained weight very very quicky and I looked at myself in the mirror one day and was just so dissapointed at how I had let myself go. I went to my doctor and got lab work done and also had a weightloss consult because I thought that weightloss surgery was the only way out . When I went that day I had a bmi of 60, my waist measured 68 inches and my whole body was a mess. He told me to start exercising and eating following the south beach diet, so I did. The day after I visited the doctor is when I found MFP, and started counting my calories and then soon after I started zig-zag counting both calories and carbs following the south beach diet (somewhat). After 2 months I lost 43 pounds... yes you read that right. I had really been ready to change my life at that time, because I have tried dieting before and I lost a little just to gain more back! I decided that if I can lose that much in that little time I could do it by myself. I really feel like this journey doing it on my own has been the best thing that I have ever done for myself EVER! I just don't feel like I would have felt so proud of myself if I would of had surgery. I'm not against it by any means, but I have talked to people who have done it just to gain weight after a year or so. I'm on a year and I still lose 3 or more pounds a week, and my self confidence is at the highest it has ever been! exercise is the best stress outlet I have ever found! Feel free to add me, i'd love to help you do this :)
  • lynmayo
    lynmayo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Only you can say if it is right for you. I will say that I have known a few people who underwent surgery but, since they hadn't un-learned their bad habits, they were back to the same weight in a matter of months or years. I also wonder whether you are at a higher risk during surgery because of your current weight. That would be something to ask a doctor.

Maybe you should think of surgery as bait to keep you moving towards your goals. For example, tell yourself that you want to get back into healthy diet and exercise habits before you invest the money and take the risk. Give yourself a goal like, "I will get surgery in 6 months if I can maintain a healthy lifestyle." Chances are that after 6 months of clean living you will find that maybe you don't need the surgery after all, but in the mean time it could keep you motivated!

Don't try to do it alone. I would never exercise unless I made plans and committed to do it with someone else. You also should address the underlying issues that got you in this place to begin with. My best friend is a member of Overeaters Anonymous and she says that it has really helped her address the reasons why she was using food as opposed to enjoying it. I don't know if that specifically fits with your situation but the larger point is to find a support system while you are working on this.

I wish you success!
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    Look through the success stories and know that it will take time (and lots of it) to reach your goal. I've tried before as well but this time is for real and I know that because I've changed the way I think about food and I've found friends who are doing this thing with me. I still have days when I eat (or drink) things I shouldn't but I always know that it's an indulgence and not my lifestyle anymore. Only you can decide if surgery is right for you. I've had friends that it's worked for and others who were not happy with the results. Whatever you decide...educate yourself, give it 110%, and know that we are here to support you all the way :drinker:
    :heart: Marie
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    One of my girlfriends worked for a team of doctors who did the band surgeries. She said they did thorough psychological and physical assessments and you also must lose a certain amoung before they even consider you for the band or bypass because he side effects are NO JOKE!!!!!!!!!
    I agree if you are serious find a board certified docotor who is experienced but why not give this a try and ask for friends and get support?
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was pretty serious about doing the lapband thing a couple of years ago, especially after I went to an intro session with the surgeon who'd do it. When he said "surgery is the only proven way to ensure long-lasting weight loss for really overweight people," I believed him.

I didn't take any action, though, and a couple of years later I had several epiphanies that made me realize NOTHING would be successful until I got my head around what I needed to do. Then a friend told me about this site and, with considerable skepticism, I decided to give it a try.

It's been about 7 months for me now, and I haven't looked back. More importantly, I won't ever GO back, either.

Is surgery right for you? Nobody here can tell you that. If you're serious about it, do your research. Talk with others who've had it. Meet with a surgeon (or better yet, two or three). If you decide to go that route, I encourage you to choose a surgeon that offers a post-surgery support group and fitness program. And realize that surgery is not a solution all by itself: you're still gonna have to change a lot of habits and think differently about food and exercise if you want to be successful.

If you're serious about seeing what you can do yourself first -- then I encourage you to go after it. Hard. Even if you eventually decide on surgery, any pounds you lose in advance of that can only help. Moreover, the new habits you'll be developing will serve you well down the road.

Me, I'm going down this path now; no more thoughts about surgery for me. As for what the surgeon said, well ... he was SO not talking about me. :)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Only you and your Doctor can decide if Weight Loss Surgery is right for you.

:heart: I won't add another opinion to your List. But I will tell you that I am an older Woman (54 next month) and I lost all my weight without Pills, Surgery, or Gimmicks. And I lost it in 18 months, while eating in Restaurants at least once almost every day, usually more than once a day.
    :drinker: So, yes, it can be done!!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/gastric-bypass

FROM THE ARTICLE:
    After surgery, you'll need to make big, permanent changes in how you eat:

You can eat only a few ounces of food at a time. Your new stomach will only hold a tiny amount of food.
    You must eat very slowly and chew your food to mush. Otherwise, you may vomit often and have pain.
    You won't be able to drink for 30 minutes before you eat, during your meal, and for 30 minutes after you eat. There won't be room in your stomach for both drinks and solid food.
    You probably will need to take vitamins and supplements.
    You may have to avoid foods that contain simple sugars-like candy, juices, ice cream, condiments, and soft drinks. Simple sugars may cause a problem called dumping syndrome. This happens because food moves too quickly through the stomach and intestines. It can cause shaking, sweating, dizziness, rapid heart rate, and often severe diarrhea.

Risks
    Risks common to all surgeries for weight loss include an infection in the incision, a leak from the stomach into the abdominal cavity or where the intestine is connected (resulting in an infection called peritonitis), and a blood clot in the lung (pulmonary embolism). About one-third of all people having surgery for obesity develop gallstones or a nutritional deficiency condition such as anemia or osteoporosis.3, 4

Fewer than 10 out of 1000 people die after weight-loss surgery.5

After a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass:6, 3

An iron and vitamin B12 deficiency occurs more than 30% of the time. About 50% of those with an iron deficiency develop anemia.
    The connection between the stomach and the intestines narrows (stomal stenosis) 5% to 15% of the time, leading to nausea and vomiting after eating.
    Ulcers develop 5% to 15% of the time.
    The staples may pull loose.
    Hernia may develop.
    The bypassed stomach may enlarge, resulting in hiccups and bloating.

I'd never do it in a million years. I am not you.
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting for over a year and yes had really reached what I felt I couldn't do. Im happy to say with the support of others,and strength from God I have found happiness. I realized that even if I were to have surgery it still comes down to this...portion control and changing of lifestyle. People that have the surgery still have to each such small portions . If we were to eat what the people that have the surgery eat the weight would come off anyway.
    Each person is different,but to me I say NO to surgery and YES to setting up a plan to eat good and start to move your body more(walk,Zumba,gym) what ever it is that works best for you. The weight my come off slower than if you had surgery,but I think in the end you will be happier. Im here if you need me.
    southernsister
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Reading your profile, it sounds as if you've had weight issues for the past 11 years. Can you see a therapist to help w/ the anxiety issues? That in turn can help w/ the overeating.

You gained the weight relativity quickly... in a few years... as compared to some older people who gain it over 20+ years. I think you can loose it fairly quick (~2 yrs) by healthy eating and exercise.

Start small. See your doctor #1. Get your diet under control and eat 150-1800 calories. Start exercising; even 15 minutes of walking a day will be useful and increase it as the weeks go on.

Use surgery as a last resort. As others have set, surgery is invasive and then you MUST change diet habits. So why not change diet habits now and see how that goes?
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Deciding to have surgery is a personal choice. Do your research and then decide.

If you would like to read my story, post RnY, please see my blog. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have in private messages.
  • cownancy
    Options
    I agree with the others here that the decision is highly personal and a weight loss doctor from a Bariatric Center of Excellence is the BEST place to start. Plan to attend the informational seminars, support groups (talk to the patients), meet with the doctor and check out some of the boards dedicated to WLS.

There are huge differences between Bypass and Lapband surgery. Most of the risks quoted in the article posted are not found with the lapband. And most MFP members are anti-wls. If you would like to contact me privately, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I looked into the surgery three times prior to actually having it done. I am VERY happy with my decision.

One thing I CAN tell you about the band that NO ONE here seems to get is that the REASON for electing to have the band is because it actually helps curb your cravings for foods like carbs. It is really helpful for people who have seem to have food cravings and always seem to be hungry. It does NOT alter your digestive system and does NOT cut into your stomach. It simply tightens the route leading into your stomach, where the nerves that send messages of fullness to your brain are located. The food lingers there and you feel full much faster, so while you are eating a healthier food plan and losing weight so that you can move more and start to feel better, you have a tool to help you.

It's that "assist" that makes the big difference. I used to always crave bread, chips and pasta. Sure, I do sometimes, but I am able to resist most of the time and have gone from 310 pounds to 258, despite having the have the fluid removed from my band for a couple of months in order to have a serious ear operation. (When you have anesthesia, the fluid is removed to make it easier to get the tube down your throat....we weren't sure if I would have to go back into surgery on an emergency basis, so I had to leave the fluid out for some time). So, with about 4-5 months of the band being effectively filled, I lost the weight.

I do not know anyone who has died. My doctor does about 3000 operations a year and has not lost a single patient in 10 years. He is very conservative. But, as I said, YOU and YOUR DOCTOR can go over your situation to determine which procedure, if any, is best for you.

Best of luck.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    the lapband has fewer risks but it still has risks.

ANYTIME you go into surgery you risk dying - it just happens to some people. I have had 3 friends on it and although they are reasonably happy none of them were able to get to their goal weight with it. They drop 50 lbs or so early and then kind of peter out for various reasons. TWo of them are happy with the 50lb weight loss - they'd like more but they seem relatively content. Would you be?

Also there are a couple risks which ARE dangerous according to my friend - if you get food poisoning ever it is VERY dangerous because you can't throw up once its down in your stomach. You have to go to the hospital. Also if you take a bite extra or you eat something that doesn't agree with you (my one friend just could not eat sashimi afterwards, for whatever reason) you will hack it up - its not EXACTLY throwing up because it doesn't get all the way to your stomach but its a motion like htat. Its not only uncomfortable and embarrassing but if you do it a lot you can damage things.

Anyway - do talk to a doctor about it but I would suggest you attempt to eat healthy for a while first. They might MAKE you do this to get the surgery to prove that you can.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your situation.

My advice is ---

Do what you have to do to start living now the way you are going to have to live (eat/exercise, etc.) . . . now . . . and . . . the rest of your life:

(ii) to get ready for surgery
    (iii) to avoid surgery
    (iv) after you have surgery

(it doesn't really matter, the solution is the same)

If you can change your pattern for the better, then you don't need the surgery. If you can't, then surgery isn't the answer.

When I say, do what you have to do . . . I mean that. Get counseling, join WW, spend hours on this site, attend church more. Whatever you have to do. The situation is dire and it calls for dire action.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

((((HUGS))))