C25K newbie need Running Shoes womans, underpronator, advice

Options
I started C25K and I love it. I have not invested in running shoes yet, and at week four I realize that going any further without good shoes is a mistake. Not only is it bad for my feet, but I am sure that I am running wrong and working harder. I need a good shoe and would love to find something under $80.00 that I can buy at a department store, but would not object to a running store. I will pay more for something that will help my stride and be super comfortable. Not sure where to start... Help the Newbie!

PS: Any suggestions or comment on foot stride would be helpful too. Not sure if my feet are landing correctly. Is it different for everyone or is there a correct way to run. I tend to land on the balls of my feet, barely using the heal. My calves get a workout, but when I land on my heal I feel like I am landing hard.

Thanks all!

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to get fitted for them. A running store will fit you, just let them know what your budget is. Good luck.
  • KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I completely agree - go to a proper running store. They have machines that will take your stride & a solid knowledge base regarding shoes at a variety of price levels. I did that at about the same time in doing c25k as you are now. It was worth every penny.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Same as the others...I went to a running store before week 2 of my C25K and got fitted, they cost me about $100, but I'm sure they will give you options if that's too much. I'm personally on week 6 of C25K, day 2 is tomorrow for me. :smile:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    PS: Any suggestions or comment on foot stride would be helpful too. Not sure if my feet are landing correctly. Is it different for everyone or is there a correct way to run. I tend to land on the balls of my feet, barely using the heal. My calves get a workout, but when I land on my heal I feel like I am landing hard.

Thanks all!

look for middle ground. literally. a midfoot strike is where you want to be.

in my experience, the forefoot strike is better than a heal strike. but now that i am midfoot, i'm pretty good to go. the guy that writes runblogger.com has some good vids of "proper" footstrike.

best of luck!

EDIT: and don't worry too much about terms like under- and over-pronation. they just sell shoes :)
  • coryrarick
    coryrarick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Runing store is the only way. Remember that all brands have different price points and if you are going to be running long distances (unsure of C25K), the general rule of thumb for marathon training is you pretty much have to expect to pay close to $100. Another hint, forget what you think your shoe size is and go with what they size you for, feet will swell during long runs so you want a little extra space... Enjoy the journey.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I got fitted for my running shoes and it was a close call between two pairs. I ended up buying a pair of $140 Asics, but I went to Marshalls after and found my second pick (Saucony) there for only $40.

Now I have two pairs.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Once fitted you can also "google" the shoe to search for the best price.
  • Ninja_Knitty
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I will be going to a running store. I am looking forward to the experience. Sure theyhave a tons of advice. You have all been helpful. I will be running longer and faster soon I hope. Good luck to you all!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I will be going to a running store. I am looking forward to the experience. Sure theyhave a tons of advice. You have all been helpful. I will be running longer and faster soon I hope. Good luck to you all!
    Have fun with it! I just recently got fitted for shoes and spent about $90 with tax for a pair of Brooks Ghost 4s (new model). One piece of advice, if your running store has a membership program, look at the details because it might be a good investment. Roadrunner's membership cost me $1.99 and not only does it give me a "discount" on their listed prices, it includes a 90 day guarantee. If there is any kind of problem with the shoes and the way they fit, I can bring them back within 90 days and use the purchase price towards a different pair of shoes.
  • Ninja_Knitty
    Options
    I guess I had better research stores. Thanks!