Oatmeal for breakfast makes me feel hungry?

Options
I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast the past few mornings with blueberries. I find I get really hungry after only an hour or two. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it all in my head? I actually noticed it before I even changed my eating habits, so I really don't think it's all in my head.

Replies

• 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Not me but i usually have the instant and have 2 packages don't feel hungary for hours. Love it
  • kwhit2710
    Options
    I too cannot eat oatmeal for breakfat. I actually get shaky and feel yucky if I do, or any carbs for breakfast
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's not in your head. When I ate cereal for breakfast, I was always hungry about an hour later. Now I eat eggs or quiche for brunch (I'm a late riser), and I'm good until my next scheduled meal.
  • ressa8
    Options
    glad to know I am not alone!! I will try something with protein and see how that goes.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    it's likely the insulin spike from the carbs in the oatmeal. what do you put on it? does it come pre-sweetened? is it instant? all of these things come into play and can have a pretty dramatic effect on your insulin levels.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. Add a spoon of greek yogurt and some chopped nuts for protein and a bit of fat. This usually holds me over for about 3 hours. Coach's Oats cooks in 5 mins and tastes great.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mine comes with a 3 egg and 3 whites omelette, and is an hour after my waking up protein shake and fruit. I'm fine until my first snack?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I usually feel hungry with carb meals, not hungry with protein meals...

I love oatmeal -- so when I do that, I actually mix it with quinoa and add greek yogurt, soy milk and walnuts for extra protein. Then I don't feel hungry.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I too cannot eat oatmeal for breakfat. I actually get shaky and feel yucky if I do, or any carbs for breakfast

Classic hypoglycemic reaction or insulin spike -- this is exactly why i have to eat low-carb/high protein.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I guess its all physiological. I feel full with oatmeal.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking a glass of skim milk with your oatmeal? That milk will give you protein and more energy! But I have hunger problems too and go over my calorie limit. I have to be careful of my food choices but I have lost weight even tho I don't meet my calorie goals too often.

I used to eat cereal, toast with peanut butter every morning. But after pregnancy, I craved eggs and heavy breakfast food. Now that I reach the 40 age, I still crave eggs but only like egg whites and cheese, no heavy breakfast. Can't stand hash brown potatoes, biscuits and gravy or eating at a "greasy spoon" any more.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I stir in a Tbsp of chia seeds and am perfectly content until lunch.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat the steel cut oats (the round cannister stuff that takes a whole six minutes to cook) and have a piece of cheese or an egg with it. Ihave to have carbs because I'm diabetic, but I become so hungry in two hours its not funny. Protein solves that.
  • snobuny032
    Options
    I eat Oatmeal for breakfast several days a week.. Try adding Raspberries instead of blueberries.. (more fiber) I also add 1/2 scoop of Maxpro vanilla protein powder and a little flax oil.. Keeps me full :)
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Oatmeal does the same for me... UNLESS it is the steel cut oatmeal which takes much longer to cook. This kind has a lower glycemic index. Have you tried that?
    I don't have time in the am to cook the steel cut oatmeal so I have a greek yogurt with a lot of water and I am good for hours.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Do you have sugar in your oatmeal, or (even worse) use those sugary flavoured sachets? If so, that is probably the cause of the problem. Plain oats are fairly low GI, complex carbs, and even have a reasonable protein content. You can add some chopped nuts to increase the protein/fat hit if you have the calories to spare.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Same here! I need protein to stay satisfied generally - try eggs/egg whites? Carbohydrates in general aren't very filling to me - even super fibrous ones.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Technically, oatmeal does have protein in it. What type of oatmeal re we talking about - instant, sugared? Steel cut are awesome as someone mentioned, I don't have the time, so most mornings I have:

3/4 cup old fashioned/thick rolled oats, 1/4 apple. 1 date, 1 tbsp walnuts, 1 tbsp hemp seeds. Cover with boiling water. Cover with plate and let sit for about 5 minutes, maybe a bit longer. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

No instant oats, no sweetened oats. I eat this almost every day, at the very least days I have classes. Keeps me full until lunch.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    When I ate cereal for breakfast, I was always hungry about an hour later. Now I eat eggs or quiche for brunch (I'm a late riser), and I'm good until my next scheduled meal.

Same here. I love oatmeal (the thick rolled oats or steel cut) and I could eat it all the time for every meal! BUT I would get hungry just a couple hours later (400 calories worth of oats, apple and milk). But I too found that when I switched to eating a breakfast of eggs (whole eggs!) with some bacon or some veggies (or both), I can last until lunch without a problem. I now aim to just keep my blood sugar as steady as possible all the time and I find that I can last for a long time without even thinking about food.

Oatmeal might not be as insulin spiking as some foods, but I still think that it does a number on blood sugar in a way that eggs just don't.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need more protein and less carbs in the morning. I also get hungry soon after eating oatmeal or any other carb-heavy meal for breakfast. I do much better on eggs, bacon and fruit, or greek yogurt, almonds and fruit.

God bless!