Japanese food....help!!

Hubby and I got a wonderful anniversary gift..... $50 gift certificate to our fav sushi joint. Oh geez! I just lost my job, so having a date night that is already paid for would be so wonderful. BUT, what on earth can I eat?!? Help!!

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Sashimi!

Might be helpful...

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    http://fatlossschool.com/calories-in-sushi/

look there! has all the calories for various types of sushi. it's not as bad for you as a lot of things, and they use some fairly healthy ingredients!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Most authentic Japanese food is low fat but americanised versions might not be. Avoid any sushi with mayo and stick to those with fish only or to those with cucumber/carrot/omelette. Miso soup hardly has any calories so you can have a bowl without thinking twice.
  • A sushi bar is probably one of the best places to go to if you're watching calories etc - you won't find it difficult to pick a healthy / light choice.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Eat as much sashimi as you want :)
  • Horseymama
    Horseymama Posts: 19 Member
    Great info, I'm going to research the heck out of this meal. So many carbs in all the white rice in rolls, calorie heavy fish, although I love me some salmon sashimi!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    yes, Japanese food is generally fairly high carb so if it was me, my other meals that day would be higher protein to make sure that I reach my protein target. Otherwise, just stick to the non fried ones and without mayo and enjoy :smile:

Or if you get a meal, I recommend katsudon as it is just awesome. Yes, it fried chicken or pork so not that low cal.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Mmmm sounds tasty!
    Id just enjoy your evening and not worry.
    Your clearly going through some hard times..
    Having an evening together i think would be nice!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Sashimi has been great during this time. You get to go out and eat in a nice place and have something wonderful without the guilt.

072711183237.jpg
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I go out for Japanese at least once a week. Since starting on here, I now order sashimi, miso soup, and seaweed salad.

Enjoy your night out!!