Green Tea: Good or Bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My sister lost 110 pounds 2 years ago. She would take a green tea pill once a day. She swears by them.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I brew mine myself from tea leaves and it's really good for you. My one concern is do NOT drink it at the same time or right before/after meals or your prenatal vitamins, because doing so won't allow your body to assimilate the iron. This is especially important for pregnant women.
  • Crystleen
    Crystleen Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have an Iced Tea maker. Love it! You can get them for like $20. I drink iced green tea everyday!
  • amylyork
    amylyork Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I brew my green tea in an old coffee pot. I stick it in the fridge and then take my pitcher to work. I can fill my reusable bottle all day long.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just boil hot water and add a green tea bag. Arizona teas and most other bottled teas are filled with 100% unnecessary junk. Real green tea has zero sugar, fat, calories, nothing... and a higher concentration of antioxidants.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Anything bottled is going to have additives in it. Green tea is very healthy for you, but your best bet is to buy organic green tea and make your own, and then just put it in the fridge and pour into your re-usable bottle. It'll have WAY fewer calories and be better for you because it won't have the added preservatives and junk.

God bless!
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Heavens!
    Do people really add sugar and sweeteners to green tea?!

Really! Green tea and sugar don't go together!
    It kills all flavor of the tea! An abomination!

HAHAHAHAHAHHA, that was my exact reaction when I got to college and offered green tea to people who came over. I'd brew the tea, hand it to them, and then they asked for milk and sugar. I was completely floored the first time it happened.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I've never known green tea to have anything other than zero cals?!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Green tea is good for you. However, what you are drinking is not green tea.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but AZ Iced Tea is a terrible drink. High in sugar & tons of cals.

Brew your own green tea or get your self some real UNSWEETENED tea. I like Honest Tea's just green tea. I like it with a little lemon but if you absolutely need sweetness you can add a sweetnlo/splenda.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Interesting thread. Quite a bit of information to go over.

Thanks all for your input.

I bought bottle of Lipton Green Tea the other day and I was surprised I like it.

Also tried green tea bag straight in the hot water ... no sugar or milk, etc.. (that sounds like a paradox!).

Gary
  • martinh78
    Options
    I have a mug of green tea with a teaspoon of honey every morning, just 22 calories. I need the little boost from the honey in the morning!

As said, make a large jug of it each morning...or take tea bags to work with you?
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    real green tea = good, arizona = bad. Full of crap!
    great article on green tea http://graemethomasonline.com/going-green-for-rapid-weight-loss/

Oh great article, thanks!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Heavens!

HAHAHAHAHAHHA, that was my exact reaction when I got to college and offered green tea to people who came over. I'd brew the tea, hand it to them, and then they asked for milk and sugar. I was completely floored the first time it happened.

Milk and sugar?!?! :noway:
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    From food.com:

"Iced green tea is great in the summer -- it's cool, it's got that slight bitter edge, and it's full of healthy antioxidants. You can keep this in a pitcher in the refrigerator and drink it whenever you need something to help you cool down. I make it with decaffeinated green tea so I don't get all wired. I have also made it using "green tea with mint" and that was excellent chilled. This proportion assumes you are going to pour it over ice; you could probably water it down a bit if you are going to drink it without ice. I never sweeten my green tea, so I can't tell you how much honey or sweetener to use, but that's a matter of personal taste anyway. I got this idea from a box of Celestial Seasonings brand green tea."
    Ingredients
    4 green tea bags
    4 cups water

Directions
    Heat 2 cups water until very hot, not quite boiling. Pour over the tea bags in a heat-resistant container. Steep for 3 to 5 minutes.. Add 2 cups of cold water. Refrigerate all the tea. Serve over ice.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Also tried green tea bag straight in the hot water ... no sugar or milk, etc.. (that sounds like a paradox!).

Gary

It is funny how single minded people can sometimes be. I used to know tea only as black tea with sugar and milk in it, but gradually got to know other kinds too. And there's myriad of them, and often brewed a little differently. Black tea, white tea, green tea, oolong tea, jasmin tea, etc.

Then there is the iced tea, which surprised the heck out of me, the first time I was offered it! :laugh: Tea, cold, that was a paradox!

Anyway, even though, there is nothing wrong in making the drink suit your personal taste, sugar and sweeteners can really screw up the true flavor. It is a shame how a new taste often goes unexperienced just because "I have always put sugar and milk into tea".

It is really mind opening to find out the original way of enjoying a drink and at least trying it before imposing your own ideas on it.
    It isn't English tea (or whatever else you think tea 'should' be like), so don't expect it to be! :wink:
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I brew my green tea with mint tea. I put 2 green tea bags and 1 mint tea bag in my coffee pot and 6 cups of water. Pour it in my pitcher and fill with water (1 gal pitcher). No sweeteners needed! Nice and refreshing. :drinker:
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 oz of tea with a tablespoon of honey. so yummy, my sweet treat every day...
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Heavens!

Milk and sugar?!?! :noway:

Right?! Until I had a proper English tea, I never even knew people added anything to tea...growing up I just drank what was put in front of me as is