C25K for a 60-year old

Options
Hi...I am NOT a runner, never have been, but would like to be able to run a 5K before I get too old :) Hopefully I didn't wait too long. I am generally fit and need to lose about 10 pounds, no other issues that I can think of except I really do hate to run; however, I have seen people on these boards that also hated to run until they did this program.

Any other non-runners that have attempted doing the couch-to-5K at or after 60?

Thanks so much :)

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I did a variation of C25k, but through a running group I recently met a 60 year old woman who is doing the Jeff Galloway walk/run/walk method (very similar to c25k but you continue doing walking breaks indefinitely as you need them) --she started off slowly but does really well! I think as long as you don't have any other health issues and your doctor ok's it, you'll do great! Plus, not needing to lose much weight will help you--I had about 50 lbs to lose when I started running and it's MUCH easier now that I am only about 7 pounds away from my goal :)

You may learn to love running--if you don't, that's ok--you can always do something else :)

good luck!
  • steve81872
    steve81872 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As a marathon coach, I think it is a wonderful program. It starts out very basic which is perfect. It is really easy to follow. As far as your age, Colonial Sanders never fried a piece of chicken until he was in his late 70's. LOL I think 60 is a wonderful age to train for and run a 5K. I will be happy to help you if you have any questions.
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I printed off the C25K sheet with each of the weeks and also downloaded music for each week from Podrunner. I just went down on my treadmill and did Week 1 Day 1 and it went pretty good. My right knee complained a little on the run, but not bad. I am a regular walker. I did my walk at 3.5 and I ended up doing my run at 4.9 after trying to find a good pace...my stride was really short since I was jogging rather than running so the 4.9 worked better than something a little slower. I wore my HRM and YIKES I just went to get the info from it and inadvertently erased it...durn it. Anyway I did see my heart rate up in the 150's at one point and would imagine that it averaged around 125-130... so that seems good, doesn't it?
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I did a variation of C25k, but through a running group I recently met a 60 year old woman who is doing the Jeff Galloway walk/run/walk method (very similar to c25k but you continue doing walking breaks indefinitely as you need them) --she started off slowly but does really well! I think as long as you don't have any other health issues and your doctor ok's it, you'll do great! Plus, not needing to lose much weight will help you--I had about 50 lbs to lose when I started running and it's MUCH easier now that I am only about 7 pounds away from my goal :)

You may learn to love running--if you don't, that's ok--you can always do something else :)

good luck!

Thanks so much. I do enjoy walking and enjoy Walk at Home videos. I have worn my HRM and my heart rate gets up to and stays at the same level as walking briskly on the treadmill which I was pleasantly surprised to find out. Leslie Sansone gets a little grating at times, but I don't get nearly as bored with her videos and she does have a positive attitude.