Screw the scales...well for the most part

Options
I have done three weeks of p90x and also have been running as well because I have a half marathon in two months.
My weight went up a little from what I lost when I was just running and doing cardio.
I have more definition now but the scale keeps me at 210 and I was 203... Strange but my pants still fit and I am liking results.
I guess we are all just so programed to focus on the number on the scale. I can see in the early stages how it could benefit. Especially if you are extremely over weight at the time you start. But now I don't think it helps me to check much at all anymore.. maybe every couple weeks??? Maybe?
I record everything I consume and when I exercise so if I'm doing that why focus on the number if I'm following the PLAN and DOING THE THING.
Screw the scale I say!!! The results are in the mirror and how you feel in your clothes that now fit!!

Time to have a paradigm shift of what we see success as. Is it what we see and how we feel.
Or the stupid digital number by our toes?? Guess it’s up to the person right.

I mean think about it!!! When you see someone around town you haven’t seen in a while and they look good you tell them , “wow you look good” You don’t say, “ Hey how much do you weigh”. Well at least I don’t. You just tell them that they look good and whatever they are doing must be working.
So keep doing it people and have a good Friday. If you weighed in this morning and it’s not where you want it to be I understand but don’t focus on it ( like I have much to often). Keep doing this thing and you will see the results. The shirt will be baggier and the jeans will sag. You will see and feel it I promise.

Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I gained 6 lbs when I did P90X. It's all good because I am in smaller clothes, I am more firm and I have more definition than I did prior to P90X. I do not get discouraged by the scales. So... I agree ~ screw the scales!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think you make a great point. The old scale can fluctuate so much do to water weight, increased muscle and well maybe you need mother nature to kick in some help. With that said I've always felt that pants fresh from the dryer don't lie! So I will let them be my judge even though I weigh daily to keep things in check.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I needed that this morning! I`ve been doing Turbo Fire for 6 weeks not and have lost a whopping 3 pounds! Yes, I said 3 and I`ve been finding that very depressing! But I do feel better physically AND emotionally. So I guess that is most important! And I have lost 1.5 inches off my belly so that to is motivation for me. But still, I really wish I could see the scales go down! Sittin`at 155 and really really really wanna be 140. Am I ever gonna get there........
  • shannonevan
    shannonevan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I needed this today! Thanks for the post!!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Im a plateua, between 198 and 202 and have been in this for 2 months now, but my pants dropped from a 36 to a 34 and again, I look fine

matter of fact, people said I need to stop losing, but stupid me, Im trying to go from overweight to normal, according to the BMI scale

I agree with you 100 percent in regards to weighing.........its good to know how much you weigh when you first start, that way you can get an idea of how much you have lost, but when you are getting closer to goal and you look and feel great, give the scale a a rest............great post............Lloyd
  • darsh11
    Options
    If you talk to most people they would rather be a certain size clothing than to weigh a certain amount. Noone else sees your weight on the scale, but they do see you in your clothes. So I would much rather judge my progress in clothing sizes than with pounds on the scale. SCREW THE SCALE!!!!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I agree. My home scale have me 5lbs lower than the doctor scale on yesterday. I was disappointed with the higher number. I soon realized that I only visit the doctor once a year and I am sticking with the numbers on my home scale.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    yep i been stuck at the same weight for a while but i have more definition and muscle tone so oh well
  • tastigger
    Options
    Great post - I weighed in today & didn't lose any - but didn't gain. Doing the C25k program the inches are coming off however & the clothes are fitting better. While I still need to lose the pounds, I am still making progress!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    100% agree with the sentiment of this post.

There's a lot of focus on the scales and it seems to be the focal point for a lot of angst among mpf members.

My loose pants..inches off my waist..feeling good..nsv compliments and amazingly I have recently had friends coming to me asking me for advice on fitness...what the heck is up with that :bigsmile:

I'm just going to continue to eat properly..exercise daily and get decent sleep or as much decent sleep as I can. P90X is kicking my *kitten* right now in Phase 2 but I'm also up to 5-6 mile runs at a 9:20 pace twice a week.

So really, who cares what the scales say. Its nice to see a drop but its not the end of the world if you don't if other good things are happening.
  • tat2tinkerbell
    tat2tinkerbell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, just mainly to keep an eye to what I know is a lot of water weight. I have been taking pics of myself to see the change, and while i've lost some weight, i've lost more inches. I see the difference in the pics and how I feel. I have a pair of pants I put on periodically to see how they are fitting (because I couldn't get them on a few months ago). They fit now, and are almost appropriate enough to wear out of the house...
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This is a fabulous post - I love it!!! The scale has hardly budged since I started the New Rules of Lifting for Women program, but my almost-too-tight pants are now baggy!
  • ShannaKayB
    ShannaKayB Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Count me as another person that needed to hear this today! Thank you for the reminder that the scale is a dirty little trickster and I shouldn't listen just to it. ;)
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    The scales are the devil :devil:

I too have been know to fret over the number on the scales. It's just programmed in us....well most of us!

Thank you for this....screw the scales :bigsmile:
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I get hung up on the scale. I admit that. I want so badly to see a certain number and hopefully one day I will BUT like someone else said... there is still that one goal size I want to be. I want to wear a certain size jeans so as long as the inches keep coming off I can be just as happy with that even if the scale doesn't move. It still shows success and those lost inches is what people really see...not that weight!

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have done three weeks of p90x and also have been running as well because I have a half marathon in two months.
    My weight went up a little from what I lost when I was just running and doing cardio.
    I have more definition now but the scale keeps me at 210 and I was 203... Strange but my pants still fit and I am liking results.
    I guess we are all just so programed to focus on the number on the scale. I can see in the early stages how it could benefit. Especially if you are extremely over weight at the time you start. But now I don't think it helps me to check much at all anymore.. maybe every couple weeks??? Maybe?
    I record everything I consume and when I exercise so if I'm doing that why focus on the number if I'm following the PLAN and DOING THE THING.
    Screw the scale I say!!! The results are in the mirror and how you feel in your clothes that now fit!!

Time to have a paradigm shift of what we see success as. Is it what we see and how we feel.
    Or the stupid digital number by our toes?? Guess it’s up to the person right.

I mean think about it!!! When you see someone around town you haven’t seen in a while and they look good you tell them , “wow you look good” You don’t say, “ Hey how much do you weigh”. Well at least I don’t. You just tell them that they look good and whatever they are doing must be working.
    So keep doing it people and have a good Friday. If you weighed in this morning and it’s not where you want it to be I understand but don’t focus on it ( like I have much to often). Keep doing this thing and you will see the results. The shirt will be baggier and the jeans will sag. You will see and feel it I promise.