Anyone had success with Medifast??

Options
: It has been only four days that I have been completely committed to watching and regulating what I am eating and is seems like I am GAINING rather than losing! I am so frustrated and just need to vent. I know that I need to be patient and stick to this. If I were exercising like a fiend then I could understand added muscle weight, but unfortunately, I have not crossed that bridge yet.
Anyway, I am thinking that maybe I should try something like Medifast for two weeks and I wanted to see what people think and whether they have had success.

Any thoughts?

(maybe I am just part sponge and am absorbing a ton of water from all the rain we are having!!?)

:drinker:

Replies

• max4pups
    max4pups Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are having great success with it, as well as several others i know
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Why jump to something else so quickly? Give your body some time to adjust. Make sure you are getting more fruits, veggies and lean protein. The rest will come. Your metabolism may not be in perfect shape depending on what you have already been doing to it in the past. Give it some time, it will come.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Four DAYS!? How long did it take to get to a place where you decided to lose weight? I'd guess longer than 4 days ... give your body time to get used to eating healthier before turning to fake food and quick fixes.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • max4pups
    Options
    do a search on medifast at the top of the message boards and you will find topics on it and others who use it
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Will do. Did you and hub start off by designing your own menu or going with one of the pre-arranged 2 or 4 week deals?
  • max4pups
    Options
    we started off doing the preplanned, however i don't think it's needed. and it only saves you a few dollars.
    There hasn't been anything we haven't cared for outside of the cream of broccoli soup :tongue:
  • Sieggie
    Options
    I have two friends who have done Medifast. For both, it worked. That was until they went off of it. They both gained every pound and then some back again. If you want to do a "plan" I suggest trying Weight Watchers. It works...if you stick to it. I was very successful with it once. Stopped watching what I ate, started working a desk job, stopped exercising and gained the weight back. It was recently rated the #1 plan. You can do it online but the meeting are good .... if you have a good leader. And, it's nice to hear other people's ideas, foods, etc.

Returned to WW, it will be 2 weeks on Tuesday 9/13 and I've already lost 6 lbs. You have to commit to it and add exercise but it works.

Good Luck. Feel free to "friend" me if you want some extra support!

Sieggie.
  • aspoonabove
    Options
    Bigloveloves & Sieggie...

Any kind of "diet" without a lifestyle change will result in putting the weight back on, and if a person does not transition out of a diet plan gradually, their metabolism will not reset back to a higher rate of running and weight can be easier to put back on.

My wife and I are health coaches with Take Shape For Life (TSFL), which is the health coach division of Medifast. Weight watchers bragged about a study out this week in which people lost 15 lbs in a year on average. Most people on Take Shape/Medifast will lose that in 2 months.

What is more, the TSFL program teaches people how to keep the weight off once they lose it. It is there - in the learning how to KEEP weight off - that maintaining weight loss occurs. Sieggie, if your friends gained back their weight, it is because on its own, the Medifast 5 & 1 plan is much like other plans - including weight watchers - it is a DIET. It does not include learning what is vital for keeping weight off once it is off.

Doctors will tell you that you can lose weight with almost any diet, and it is true. Some are better (like Medifast/TSFL, which spares muscle and brain through proper nutrition during weight loss) than others (like the junk food diet, which leads to weight loss but at the expense of muscle and brain function). But if that weight loss is not accompanied by the adoption of Habits of Health as a lifestyle (which is a core principle of TSFL), less than 20% of those who lose weight will keep it off.

I encourage you both to visit www.fixthecause.com if you have interest in knowing more about what I do and how it works. I lost 40 lbs in 10 weeks, maintained muscle mass and brain function, and have kept my weight off for a year through the Habits of Health. Now my wife and I help other people do the same. Whatever you choose to do, though, please remember that no weight loss is permanent without healthy lifestyle changes.

-PW
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Aspoonabove,

Well said. I am a health coach too, the Take Shape For Life Program and the free health coach is the KEY to this program working and helping people to transition and maintain. This program has changed my life forever. I used the program since day 1 and have lost 107 pounds. I just wish I found this program a long time ago.
  • cm1479
    cm1479 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have lost an average of 2.6 a week for 14 weeks. Granted, I am a nutrition counselor for a medifast center-so I am surrounded by support, but I have never felt so strongly about a program. I WANTED to find some sort of error, loophole, or scam in the program coming from public health, but there just isn't any. With the physicians and registered dietitians constantly updating us on new research, you cant help but really stand by this program. I want to get rid of my college weight (80) and the 15 lbs I feel like I was always trying to lose all of my life. Good luck and I sincerely hope you find something that works for you! xoxo
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm been on medifast since last November and lost 112lbs. My hubby has lost > 140lbs and my in-laws have both lost around 100lbs in a similar time period. Medifast is a whole plan and leads to lifestyle changes. Yes if you go off plan and don't transition and maintenance you will regain. But that is true for any plan! I'd say the transition and maintenance part of medifast is more important than the weight loss portion of it. It teaches you how and what to eat, and what YOU need to maintain YOUR lifestyle. For me the medifast "meals" are what is making it possible for me to get to a healthy point so I can figure out what I should be eating. When I was so heavy I just didn't have the energy to make healthy meals it was so much easier to do drive thru or take out etc.

No matter what program you do though I highly recommend getting everything out of your house that isn't healthy, and don't bring it back in. It's easier to eat right if you aren't tempted.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've used Medifast and Nutrisystem.

I didn't care for most of the meals on Medifast.... Nutrisystem was somewhat better. I lost weight with both, but I wasn't satisfied.

I started a local boot camp, and they introduced me to "Eating Clean" and gave me the book "Eating Clean". I feel better, look better, weight is coming off and I'm eating real food.

I think any program will work for anyone....as long as you find one that you can follow. The key is the transition to maintenance. Another important factor, what are you willing to give up. I was tortured by picking a box or envelope each meal. I like to cook sometimes. I like conveinence sometimes. So, those programs are now less appealing to me.