Converting WW Points into Calories??

Options
Do any of you veterans have any experience doing this?? I am new to this site as are a bunch of other great women and I am thinking of cancelling my WW online subscription - this site is AWESOME!!!

The food tracker is so extensive and it has everything I could imagine needing to track in there!!

I have heard in the past that one WW "point" equals about 50 calories?? Have any of you converted and can give me a little help???

Thanks in advance!!!!

:heart:

Replies

• Lisainflorida
    Options
    Do any of you veterans have any experience doing this?? I am new to this site as are a bunch of other great women and I am thinking of cancelling my WW online subscription - this site is AWESOME!!!

The food tracker is so extensive and it has everything I could imagine needing to track in there!!

I have heard in the past that one WW "point" equals about 50 calories?? Have any of you converted and can give me a little help???

Thanks in advance!!!!

:heart:
  • Lisainflorida
    Options
    :sad:

no one has any suggestions?
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sorry guess not. Can you just start over counting calories from where you are now? Its very simple and there are so many foods in the food guide!
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Save the money and quit weight watchers. This is the same thing but with calories and FREE!

As for the point system - there are too many variables because of dietary fiber and fat are calculated in the point system. As for this sight track fat, carbs - I have it set up to track sodium and sugar for me cause I tend to go high on those two.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose!
  • Lisainflorida
    Options
    I am definietly planning on just doing "this" - the database of food is unbelievable.

I guess I am just used to tracking my food based on one method and just want to make sure that I am not using too many calories/ or eating too less.

But like I said - this database is AWESOME...........:laugh:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    well... if you think about it,,, its more the opposite,, its ww that converted calories into point,,

so your just going back to basics...

lots of food are already in the database, if you dont find the food your looking for you can add them to the database with the nutrition facts on your product.

i think this way is better, you learn more about the nutrition and your body needs.
    if ww is good for something, is the morale support and the accountability that it offers. if you think you can find enough support, and be honest with yourself... then maybe dumping ww could be a good idea :smile:

good luck !
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have found this site so easy and it's really just wonderful and the people on here are really great too. It's good to have you here with us! So welcome welcome!! please enjoy and good luck!!!!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome and you will love it here. I never did WW 's because it seemed like a lot of work. I log my meals the night before so I know I'm staying within my allotted calories. Log your exercise and MFP adds those burned calories back into your daily total...who can't use a few extra calories? I know there are some on here that can't seem to eat 1200 calories a day, unfortunately I'm not one of those people. So exercising is now a way to continue eating the way I want to...I just have to work out more. This site does work as I've lost 27 of my 47 pounds on this site since July.

Good luck and can't wait to see how your weight loss is going...for FREE.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Just start tracking and see how it goes. Count both points and calories for a day or two and see how things compare. I think you'll find you like this better. You don't have to do any of the counting -- MFP does it all for you -- just logging, and it's more precise.

I did WW for free for almost two years. I just bought the points books and kept track in a notebook. I like this better. You can keep track of nutrients, as well, making sure you get the fat, carb, and protein amounts that you want.
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    The formula for points:

Points = Calories/50 + Fat/12 - Fiber/4

So it's not only calories that determine your Points value. Unless you are eating foods with the Points printed on the package, it's easier to look it up on MFP (in my very biased opinion, that is :wink: ).

Afterthought: I'm editing this post to clarify that I have nothing against WW. My mom lost over 70 lbs with them about 15 years ago, and she is my biggest inspiration. :happy:
  • Lisainflorida
    Options
    Thank you for ALL the helpful responses................I am going to CANCEL my online membership there and use this AWESOME database - they have about every imaginable food in there for me to calculate properly!!!

I think I am gonna :heart: it here, you guys are all great!!!!

Thanks for the nice welcome!!!
  • abbychick
    abbychick Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this because I was just thinking of joining this week. I love the food tracker on this site!! I do like going to the meetings for the motivation and the support though. I think I'll try it on my own for a week or two and see how I do.
  • kazzit
    kazzit Posts: 113
    Options
    i was on ww before and i quit to join here so much easier and free it great
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    *waves at Lisa*

I'm canceling my WW Online subscription, too. This is soooooooooo much easier, plus I can track sodium. (I've GOT to get my BP under control.)
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well, I am doing Atkins Diet (low carb) and signed up for Weight Watchers to do in conjunction with Atkins just for attending meetings and accountability of having to weigh in, in front of others............

I won't lose my motivation that way and this time I have to make a PERMANENT lifestyle change or I will end up on insulin shots due to my diabetes.........
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    I renewed my WW membership for 1 month 2 days before finding this site. I plan on canceling at the end of this month.

I too find this site much easier to use.

*waves to Lisa and Pepper*
  • jenn9270
    Options
    Hi girls!!

I have to keep my WW because I *need* to get weighed by someone else. I use it for the meetings. I haven't used e-tools in forever. This site actually has the weight watchers foods as well.

I am definitely a calorie counting convert(who is tracking in a journal) LOL

Sadly I have got to write down stuff or it won't work for me!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    *Waves to everyone

I found you all! I had planned to renew my WW membership this morning and then saw talk of this site, so guess what I'm NOT doing this morning!

Hi Pepper, lIsa, Jenn
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    *smooches the lovely Vonnie!*
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    Yay Pepper!! I see you're down 2. Woo woo!