HRM High zone vs Moderate

Options
Okay I have been using my Polar F6 for over a week now.
It has been set at moderate. I find myself above most of the time. So I changed it yesterday to high.
My question is- Is it better to be in moderate when wanting to lose the weight or in High. Even when I feel I can do more. When trying to stay in zone for the moderate.
Yesterday I felt so much better in High.

I find that in moderate I burn more fat % vs high fat %.

I would appreciate anyone's input. What do you do as far as settings? Thanks.

It is wonderful to know what you actually burn. I have been burning way more than what I have been logging. So that means I have been starving myself. :cry:

Now I know what I need as far as calories. But I don't want to give myself a heart attack either.
Mel

Replies

• PolarQueen
    Options
    Okay I have been using my Polar F6 for over a week now.
    It has been set at moderate. I find myself above most of the time. So I changed it yesterday to high.
    My question is- Is it better to be in moderate when wanting to lose the weight or in High. Even when I feel I can do more. When trying to stay in zone for the moderate.
    Yesterday I felt so much better in High.

I find that in moderate I burn more fat % vs high fat %.

I would appreciate anyone's input. What do you do as far as settings? Thanks.

It is wonderful to know what you actually burn. I have been burning way more than what I have been logging. So that means I have been starving myself. :cry:

Now I know what I need as far as calories. But I don't want to give myself a heart attack either.
    Mel
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar F11 in November and had been running up until then. I went to the Polar website and it said I should be working out in the "light" to "moderate" range for weight loss. I worked out in the "light" range or 60% to 70% hbp, for the month of December and this month I'm going to add back in a day or two in the "moderate" range or 70% to 80% hbp. According to the many articles I've read you will burn more calories at the higher pace but less of them will be from fat. It probably wouldn't hurt to do at least one workout in the higher range though. I will tell you that it has been hard for me to walk at the lighter pace because I can go a lot faster but as they say...slow and steady wins the race.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    By the way...I love your picture there with the polar bears!
  • PolarQueen
    Options
    Thanks that helps. I'll check out the web site and maybe I'll answer alot of questions.
    Mel
  • HealthyIn09
    Options
    I also have an F6, but my moderate heart rate zones are 137-155. I'm ALWAYS above that, around the 180 mark and above. The highest I've been was 201. I just don't feel like I'm working out if I stay within that range. Am I doing something wrong? Are those supposed to be my heart zones?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I also have an F6, but my moderate heart rate zones are 137-155. I'm ALWAYS above that, around the 180 mark and above. The highest I've been was 201. I just don't feel like I'm working out if I stay within that range. Am I doing something wrong? Are those supposed to be my heart zones?

Are you just starting to add exercise in your life? If so you will see that it will go down after 2-4 wks. I have to work much harder now than when I started to get my HR up. Heck, it would shoot up when I stood to get more food!!:flowerforyou:
  • PolarQueen
    Options
    I am thinking yeah. But if you are like me. If I am walking at a 4.0 on the treadmill then I am over at like at 152. But If I jog a few laps then when I stop I am like at a 185 or higher. That is what I am asking. I really like walking I do but I want to be able to run a mile or more. Or when I do tae bo then I am sometimes always in the high range. It is confusing. Humh.
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Heck, it would shoot up when I stood to get more food!!:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PolarQueen
    Options
    IAre you just starting to add exercise in your life? If so you will see that it will go down after 2-4 wks. I have to work much harder now than when I started to get my HR up. Heck, it would shoot up when I stood to get more food!!:flowerforyou:

I'm not new to working out. I just haven't done it for a few months. I took some time off and I wish I didn't. But I do hope that it will level out. I guess I will wait and see. My weight probably has a great deal to do with it to. When I lose more I will change too. Thanks for the info.
    Mel
  • HealthyIn09
    Options
    I've been exercising on and off for a few months now, and it doesn't seem to be leveling off. I'm not sure what the issue is. I think my resting heart rate is around 80, is that what it supposed to be at? I would hate to slack off and work within the zone if I'm not actually going to reap the benefits.