Dealing with all sorts of issues

Options
Hello Everyone,
I'm really new here...and I am getting desperate about my weight. I have approx 25 lbs to lose but I am also dealing with 2 health issues....Graves Disease (which affected by thyroid - so now I'm on a synthetic thyroid medicine) and the other Crohn's Disease (which did not affect me in the normal way - losing weight, but nevertheless, now I'm on a steroid). These 2 medicines make it a bit more difficult to lose weight though if I have to be honest, my eating habits and the amount of exercise I get could definately use some fixing.
I used to be on Weight Watchers but was not going anywhere with that for whatever reason, because I believe that it is a good program. Frankly I was also dissapointed that they do not have an app for Blackberrys

This program, its ease of use, and availability on BB is really really pleasing me. I have found foods listed on the food lists that I would have never thought would be there, which makes life easier....

Looking forward to "losing" with all of you,

Binka21:happy:

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

You'll find foods on the food list that you don't expect because we are just a group of real people trying to lose weight. I find it's not so much a "Program" as a support group. Some people on here go the "diet" route and it works for them and then some of us, me included, just try to moderate what we eat and how we exercise without actually going on a diet.

The theory being that we don't have to "return to our regular eating habits" after losing all the weight - we are already eating regular food!
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have Graves disease as well. I have been using MFP since June I believe. I'm a complete addict now! I sent you a friend request and would be very happy to help you in anyway I can. Welcome!
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Hey there, fellow Crohnie. :)

I'm not sure how long you've had Crohn's or if you've been on steroids before, but if you're on prednisone, beware that it can make you falsely hungry. It's a giant PITA, because you do feel hungry, but it compounds its side effect of weight gain by making you eat more. I wasn't warned of this the first time I was on pred, and gained a lot of weight. =/ I kept a food diary (both to find my Crohn's trigger foods and to ensure myself that I was actually eating an appropriate amount, no matter what my body tried to tell me.) I drink a lot of water to help with the hunger when I'm on pred.

It's extremely frustrating, because you can be doing everything right and the disease and the medication will still thwart you. You may want to talk to your doc and/or nutritionist too. Hang in there, and I wish you speedy wellness as well as weight loss! :)

-Jessica.