So disappointed

Options
So I had my monthly assessment with my trainer today. I weighed 2 lbs less than last month! YAY right?! Yes until we started doing my body fat measurements. My body fat is still at 17.4 but I've lost 2 lbs? How can that be? Well because I've lost 2 lbs of muscle. I am so disappointed in myself. I need to stop worrying about the number on the scale and worry about what's healthy for me. I have become so obsessed with the number on the scale that my body has started breaking down muscle to give me the nutrients that I need. I just set my diary to maintenance. I know it will take some time. I can't even imagine eating 1700 calories a day but if that's what my body needs, that's what I NEED to give it.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ensuring adequate protein intake will minimize muscle losses

how was your bf tested? i've found both calipers and bia to be highly unreliable
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    We use calipers but that's what we use every month.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This gave me a wakeup call for sure. I haven't been netting 1,200, or barely doing so with my exercise, and I think I've gotten more flabby even though I do a little bit of strength training. I think my body is eating up my muscles. Time to eat more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So I had my monthly assessment with my trainer today. I weighed 2 lbs less than last month! YAY right?! Yes until we started doing my body fat measurements. My body fat is still at 17.4 but I've lost 2 lbs? How can that be? Well because I've lost 2 lbs of muscle. I am so disappointed in myself. I need to stop worrying about the number on the scale and worry about what's healthy for me. I have become so obsessed with the number on the scale that my body has started breaking down muscle to give me the nutrients that I need. I just set my diary to maintenance. I know it will take some time. I can't even imagine eating 1700 calories a day but if that's what my body needs, that's what I NEED to give it.
    Understand that even slight changes in your water will affect caliper readings. Subcutaneous water will make for a "thicker" pinch. Best way to gauge your success is pictures IMO. If you wear the same clothing every time, you'll either see a difference or not.