will jogging ruin my knees???

Options
2»

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I agree with STG and others that disagree with the poster saying not to run if you are 30lbs or more overweight.

I started running at 230 lbs. I now weigh about 165. I have ran many many 5ks, 8 and 10ks as well as a half marathon. I am currently training for my 2nd half marathon. My knees don't ache and I am still at least 26 lbs overweight which puts me at the high end (even if i lose 26lbs) range for my height.
    Running while overweight for me has resulted in a hell of a lot of weight loss and lots of gained muscle! NO pain though...sure I am sore after running 13.1 miles on a hilly course but I bet your skinny butt is too, even if you don't admit it.

Comments like that about not running if you are 30 lbs overweight is why (a lot of times) so many people judge the running community or running as a whole as being only something the super skinny and athletic can do. That couldn't be farther from the truth though.

So, to the OP...ask your doctor! If you feel good while running and aren't in pain... keep going!!! My best advice to any new runner is to get properly fitted for the right shoes, have your gait analyzed.. you will be happy!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 pounds overweight and have done 3 half marathons and am training for my first marathon. Runners actually have a lower incidence of arthritis in our knees.

I will second the vote for minimalist running. After about a year I thought i was going to have to give it up because of knee pain. Started barefoot running on the beach and all hte pain went away. I now run in Altras, a zero drop (no) heel shoe that is fantastic. With no knee pain. (I'll run 16 miles tomorrow.)

The other thing to do is to keep working quads and hamstrings. The stronger they are the more support your knees have.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about your knees, I would suggest trying to use an elliptical. I prefer the elliptical just because it feels less jarring on my body - and I feel like I have more stamina when on the machine.

3-4 times a week, try to follow this routine for one hour:

Start at a moderate pace, then increase the level of resistance by 2 increments every 2 minutes until you get to a point where you can barely operate the machine. Then slowly back off the levels of resistance, 2 decreases every 2 minutes. After that, do some intervals; set the machine at a moderate resistance, then go balls to the wall for 1 minute, then slow down a rest for another minute, repeat the cycle for 5-10 minutes.
  • soloral
    Options
    You all are funny,

Sure, people that are overweight can run. That was not the question of the thread. The question was, will running when overweight hurt my knee's.

I'm way overweight myself, I could run, but why would I when can get the same benefit out of different exercises and reduce the harm to my knee's.

Bicycle machines
    Jump Roping (on a good surface)
    Elliptical
    Rowing Machines
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    "but why would I when can get the same benefit out of different exercises and reduce the harm to my knee's"

You mean the *risk* of harm?
    You know what else reduces risk of harm? An incremental running programme. Listening to your body. A good pair of properly fitted running shoes...

As to the question 'why would you' - well, perhaps because it's one of those experiences that makes you feel healthy, fit, capable, strong, dedicated, hardassed, and generally amazing?

You appear to me to be someone who has never actually run... You don't seem to know much about it?
  • 1FineFaye84
    1FineFaye84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Use an elliptical, it's easier on your joints!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    One of my running buddies ran his first marathon at 260 lbs (down from 400 lbs!).
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Running in and of itself won't ruin your knees. Bad running form, wrong shoes, and not listening to your body will put you at greater risk of injury, though. For some it may not be worth the risk. But if it's something you want to do, then don't give up! You can do it, and you can do it injury free.
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    There's been a lot of articles lately about how running may actually be GOOD for your knees. Everything is in moderation though. If your knees start hurting and it doesn't go away shortly after running, then I would either lessen duration or pace or skip it altogether for a low impact exercise. If you ice your knees after runs it can help too. Listen to your body, you will know if you are doing damage or if it's normal aches and pains of becoming an athlete!

If you want to run, and enjoy running, I say go for it!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running in and of itself won't ruin your knees. Bad running form, wrong shoes, and not listening to your body will put you at greater risk of injury, though. For some it may not be worth the risk. But if it's something you want to do, then don't give up! You can do it, and you can do it injury free.

This ^^^^^
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Building muscle to support your knee joints should really help prevent issues - and wearing good running footwear that is not worn out. If you wear the same runners and work out in them every day, it is safe to assume that after 6 months, you may want to investigate a new pair. A really great exercise for runners is to do squats, with weights held in each hand. They don't have to be heavy weights. Just make sure that your knees never go farther forward than your toes when you squat. I have been running for years and I have found that this exercise has really helped to support my knees and prevent injury.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just read something in a running magazine last week. Basically... the question was "how do I respond to people that tell me running is bad for me"....basically the answer was - Lack of exercise is worse :)

My best friends DH is in the battle for his life with cancer - they said he could not have withstood the excessive amounts of Chemo he's had - HAD he not started out so healthy. His heart has suffered 30% damage from Chemo, but because he was a runner before cancer, his heart has been able to withstand so much more.

I totally agree - Cross train - strengthen those knees and run to your best ability! Enjoy it and have fun.

Also - many knee injuries and pain start with weak Core muscles and weak hip flexors. Strengthen from the top down.
  • dietpop
    dietpop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here's a summary of running's impact on the knees from Time magazine:

Is Running Bad for Your Knees? Maybe Not http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html#ixzz1Xkpyahxk

It says: Not only is there no connection between running and arthritis, the new studies say, but running — and perhaps regular vigorous exercise generally — may even help protect people from joint problems later on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everybody for your help! i have about 90-100 lbs to lose, so i'm thinking investing in some good shoes is a good idea. i usually alternate jogging and walking and i try not to push it too hard.

You can also try incline walking to ramp up your calorie burn without the impact (just don't hold on to the handrails).

Whether or not running at your weight will lead to "knee problems" is really a matter of percentages. The risk of an overuse injury increases when you start doing a high-impact activity. I only bring that up because some people are using personal anecdotes to suggest otherwise and that is misleading.

The fact that the risk increases doesn't mean you WILL become injured nor does it mean you should not run. You are doing the right thing by being smart about intervals, and investing in some quality footwear. You are also fairly young, and that also mitigates the risk somewhat.

Running will not "wear out your knees" per se--i.e. will not "grind down" the joints or anything. The increased shock can lead to tendinitis or can result in an acute injury like a meniscus tear or ligament damage.

OTOH, if this is something you enjoy and keeps you motivated, that's important as well.

Those are the facts to consider. There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Did you miss the part where she says she already has tendonitis? She really needs to check with her doctor instead of a bunch of strangers on an internet message board.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everybody for your help! i have about 90-100 lbs to lose, so i'm thinking investing in some good shoes is a good idea. i usually alternate jogging and walking and i try not to push it too hard.

You can also try incline walking to ramp up your calorie burn without the impact (just don't hold on to the handrails).

Whether or not running at your weight will lead to "knee problems" is really a matter of percentages. The risk of an overuse injury increases when you start doing a high-impact activity. I only bring that up because some people are using personal anecdotes to suggest otherwise and that is misleading.

The fact that the risk increases doesn't mean you WILL become injured nor does it mean you should not run. You are doing the right thing by being smart about intervals, and investing in some quality footwear. You are also fairly young, and that also mitigates the risk somewhat.

Running will not "wear out your knees" per se--i.e. will not "grind down" the joints or anything. The increased shock can lead to tendinitis or can result in an acute injury like a meniscus tear or ligament damage.

OTOH, if this is something you enjoy and keeps you motivated, that's important as well.

Those are the facts to consider. There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Did you miss the part where she says she already has tendonitis? She really needs to check with her doctor instead of a bunch of strangers on an internet message board.

Unfortunately, the doctor may or may not know the difference minimalist running makes. As I said earlier, I was having almost constant pain until I changed my stride.
  • Zyhon
    Zyhon Posts: 13
    Options
    You all are funny,

Sure, people that are overweight can run. That was not the question of the thread. The question was, will running when overweight hurt my knee's.

I'm way overweight myself, I could run, but why would I when can get the same benefit out of different exercises and reduce the harm to my knee's.

Bicycle machines
    Jump Roping (on a good surface)
    Elliptical

Rowing Machines

I Agree