"Girl, You Need To Quit Losing Weight!"

Options
Those were the words my hair stylist greeted me with this past Saturday. She also said, "You get skinnier every time I see you." She meant it in a complimentary way, but I found it odd. I'm in the 5'11" range and was 172 the last time I saw her in July. I broke my plateau in the meantime and was 168 when I weighed myself in mid August. Since I am relatively lean, I may have lost another pound or two since my last weigh in, if I'm lucky. I can *just* fit into a size 10 now, so I'm hardly wasting away.

As I said, I know she meant it positively and I'm glad that someone who doesn't see me everyday noted my progress, but while I acknowledge that my arms and legs *are* thin, I still have a ways to go when it comes to fat loss around my middle. I don't plan to "quit losing weight" anytime soon.

Replies

• Briana31
    Briana31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep going!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I hate comments like that! Yeah maybe they mean it in a good way but it rubs me the wrong way.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Someone called me "skinny" the other day and it freaked me out because I am far from that...have a ways to go.
    Sounds like you are doing just great....way to go!!!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the best compliment but its nice to hear :drinker:

I've heard this and many other comments but I take it with a grain of salt and give them a big smile :bigsmile:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Those comments usually come from haters who are overweight. Ignore them.

• mizfrankie
    Options
    Those comments usually come from haters who are overweight. Ignore them.

YES!!!!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys.

It did rub me a bit wrong, but I didn't take as much umbrage as I normally would when I considered the source. Normally, she's very supportive of my fitness regime and I think it was an ill conceived attempt at letting me know that she sees my progress.

Now, if certain family members of mine had said it, I would definitely put it in the hater category. They never cease to remind me that they find my working out and eating right to be eye rollingly laughable. It's a good thing I stopped caring what they think when I was about 10. :)
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I get that now and it's the most aggrevating thing. Yes, I have lost 84 lbs but I still have a belly. In the last 3 months I have pretty much stayed the same weight but am toning alot do to my new love of running. Like you, I am hardly wasting away. My weight fluctuates between 136.8 and 139.8 and I'm perfectly happy with that. I'd love to get it under 135 but am not gonna kill myself doing it. I find myself tensing up whenever someone mentions how much I've lost cuz I'm waiting for the negative comments like u need to start eating, you better stop you're gonna wither away etc..... Due to my running regimen I eat alot cuz I'm hungry so I can't stand when people think I'm starving myself. I don't know if its jealousy or what but I bust my *kitten* 5 days a week and there's nothing to be jealous of cuz this takes a lot of work!!! Grrrrr
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have been having similar issue with people telling me to "stop losing". I think it is just because most of them have never seen me this thin. Then again some of them may be jealous! I have lost 75 pounds but still want to lose another 20 so I am going to try and ignore the comments and do what I feel is best for me.

Keep doing what you feel is best for YOU!