Brand new

I have decided this is really the time to lose the weight. I have always been a very small person. The few years I have ballooned and I am miserable. I love running. I have done two half marathons. My daughter was having some issues with school so I gave up a lot of my mommy time to focus on that, being a single mom I didn't have much choice. It has cost me a lot as far as my weight though.
I had an awakening moment Tues morning when a cashier asked if I was having a boy or a girl. I left in tears and realized I had no one to blame but me and I was the only one that can change it. The extra 45 lbs shows everywhere on my small 5'1" frame, from my face to my feet! :)
I have started the "Run Your Butt Off" program and am up to week 4. The thing I need to pay better attention to is my diet.
I have two major obstacles...Dating and my environment.... When you are dating it revolves around food and alcohol. You don't get asked out much for a run?!?!?!?
Second, I live in New Orleans!!! I love this place but who can lose weight in New Orleans...Food and alcohol is such a large part of the culture...its what we do. We get together over supper, or go out to eat in groups, or go to lunch....its such a huge part of being social. I dont want to feel like I am a hermit but its almost what I have to do to get the weight off.

Replies

• LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    HI, and Welcome! You can do it! This is a great site! Feel free to add me as a friend!

Dara
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Welcome!!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Welcome, you've come to the right place. This is a great site filled with supportive people. Grab a bunch of friends and let us all help you in your journey.

As far as living in the Big Easy and losing weight goes, I'm sure it's tough. I'm up here in the northeast and I love, love, love, Cajun food. I couldnt imagine what it would be like living down there! But, keeping track of your calorie intake will help. There's no need to give it all up, just be sure to do it all in moderation. Your diary will tell you the story.

The bottom line is that you will need to make a committment to yourself that you will do what it takes to help with your weight loss.

Good luck!!! You'll do great!
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    You would really think that people would be smart enough not to ask a chubby woman about a pregnancy! I have been asked twice :( Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Well, I live in Buffalo NY another huge food town...... No one can touch our wings... or our Pizza.... and there are Soooooooooo many mom and pop restuarants that are just amazing.

---- Somehow, you get over it.

I am dating as well..... The thing I have learned is to suck it up and go to Chain restaurants like Applebees, Fridays, etc. that have "Right size" portions or Weight Watchers selections.

Also, invite him/her? over for dinner, you can prepare a meal that is healthy AND tastey :) Lots of recipies that are step by step and easy to follow!!

Good Luck!!
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks Everyone. I am looking forward to making some major changes,.
  • Welcome...I can totally relate to your weight and size.....I am 5' 2" and weighed 155 pounds just before joining MFP.......since then I have lost ten pounds.....I know you can do it......it sounds like you are at exactly the place I was when I started "sick and tired" of being overweight and deciding to do something about it. I also run and love it..........I was taking a boot camp class which was awesome and plan on going back within the next month. Like the gentleman giammarcor said get some friends and just log your food.......you can even plan on what to eat ahead of time and check for calories. I am going to chinese tonight and I plugged in what I am going to eat to get an idea of how many calories. Now I know what to eat and I still have 45 calories left for today........this site is amazing and will help you, it has worked for me. Good Luck and feel free to add me as a friend.......

Misty :smile: