How much to lose per week

Options
I only put down to lose 1lb per week but it was only allowing me 1300 cals and I was finding it really difficult to stick to. I spoke to my personal trainer at the gym and he thought this was a really low amount of calories, so I've adjusted it now to 0.5lb per week which doesn't sound a lot but I'm still hoping to lose at a reasonable rate but not feel deflated when I struggle to keep in the amount of calories allowed. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes, It's really hard to eat 1800 calories even for me.

As long as you are eating your calorie goal and getting some workouts in you will drop the pound.

I was stressing about this too but when I had a bad week I still lost the pound because a bad week here is still better than the old

way, does that make sense????

Good luck!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you need to loose

for myself I currently have about 30pounds left to loose so I`m set right now at 1pound / week gives me right around 1440 per day plus exercise cals ( range from 400-1000 extra depending on the day) when I get to 20pounds of reaching my goal I plan to move to .5 perweek (or sooner if I hit a plateau which knock on wood I have not yet).
  • TG55555
    Options
    I am in my first week and only allowed 1,200 according to MFP. I earn extra calories by exercising, which motivates me to put on my trainers and "Just do it"!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I only put down to lose 1lb per week but it was only allowing me 1300 cals and I was finding it really difficult to stick to. I spoke to my personal trainer at the gym and he thought this was a really low amount of calories, so I've adjusted it now to 0.5lb per week which doesn't sound a lot but I'm still hoping to lose at a reasonable rate but not feel deflated when I struggle to keep in the amount of calories allowed. Has anyone else had this problem?

dont forget you should be eating your exercise calories as well as the 1300 each day...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That sounds very smart to me. I did the same thing and found that I lost more than 1/2 pound even eating over 1600 net cals a day.
    I think it is much better to set yourself up with something sustainable, than a seriously low calorie deprivation diet.
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am exercising every day - just to give myself enough calories but I can't manage that much exercise every week due to stuff going on with the children, so I am very happy with my decision now that I have spoken with you lovely people. I have under 20 pounds to lose, so you are right, down to 0.5lb per week means that I won't be setting myself up to fail.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I was doing fine until I lost some weight and mfp recalculated my calories allowance down to 1470 a day from 1600. I struggle with that unless I exercise that day, so I've been reassessing what to do recently. I could change it to 0.5lbs loss a week, I could try and eat to those cals (but that means pretty much cutting out all treats, and I refuse to live like that), or I could not beat myself up if on non-exercise days I go over my target by up to 250cals, which would be the same as recalculating it for 0.5lb loss a week.

it's about working out what works best for you really.